Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16th October 2011, 05:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 98

Inspired

Can I second this motion?
isaac.retox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 16th October 2011, 08:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9159

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Can I suggest World4 become Froniter and just update the server when 1.9 final is released?
The mods and admins are discussing a number of possibilities, but we need updated Bukkit and mods before we can start any permanent worlds.

Sorontar

Sorontar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2011, 09:22 AM   #13 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 68

Quote:
Can I suggest World4 become Froniter and just update the server when 1.9 final is released?
Agreed. I don't see any reason why we really need to start a new seed.

One of the things that has annoyed me in the past about making "permanent" servers is that we tend to first find a seed that's "nice". IMO we should really just create a world and make the most of it. If we don't like the spawn position, we can just go for a trek and drop a bed.
Samah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2011, 11:22 AM   #14 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9159

It is more a matter of management and anti-griefing. That is the primary need for mods. After all, how would you like it if you suddenly found that the nice mansion you had built was now on the other side of the border? Much easier to generate a fresh world where everyone has an equal chance to claim somewhere to work. We can always reuse the seeds.[1]

Also, given the direction that Mojang's development is heading, we might still miss out on some fixes if the world isn't regenerated. That we can't be sure of. Hence, we tell everyone this is a temporary world, so you know what the situation is at this moment of time.

And this and the previous World4 were just the first worlds that were randomly generated. It gets a bit hard to judge them because the position of players when the world is generated is not at spawn. For this world, I was initially positioned somewhere 100+ blocks from spawn. It wasn't until I went /kill that I was repositioned at spawn.

Sorontar

[1] Weren't some people saying that the previous seed for World4 was great and they wanted to reuse that seed (cf. Seed for old pre3 1.9 World4) ?

Sorontar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2011, 12:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 3916

Doh

I'm happy to start again when we have the mods etc. I think when you know a world is temporary you are less likely to look after it. Eg, killing animals for the food without trying to maintain the numbers, or killing NPCs where later they might provide a benefit.
Old 17th October 2011, 12:07 PM   #16 (permalink)
Team Fortress 2
Deadly - Post: 1389

Also, I suspect we can have a larger border this time, as the worlds have gotten more efficient in terms of resources. The map making tools aren't great, so if we just have less maps, and a large world, I reckon people will be happy with that.
exekewtable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2011, 12:42 PM   #17 (permalink)
Server Admin
Dangerous - Post: 669

Inspired

Quote:
And those of us who aren't playing there until final is released, just have to miss out on any good spots and nether resources? >< Any strongholds there are would have had their chests long emptied by that point in time.

Besides - the community has already spoken on this topic -
World4: poll on world generation

Folks want a new world each time - and if I'm going to be told in 3 months time that "oh, you should have come and played on the buggy pre-release world if you wanted to claim any decent looking areas" after actually believing poll results like the above represented the majority of the division, that would be a disappointment.

I mean - I guess that's fine for those who want to play in a safe environment, with no challenges, and just want to construct long-term buildings, but I thought that was the opposite of what you wanted in every other thread? ><

I'd be happy if World4 was kept until final (because hey, I'm not going to play buggy pre-release, un-moddded version so it doesn't affect me), but I'd expect a new world to be generated for final - that's what we've been talking about and expecting all the way through.

Last edited by BlackD; 17th October 2011 at 12:47 PM.
BlackD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2011, 12:44 PM   #18 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1614

Amused

Ahh, so we are still going to have a border on Frontier - for some reason I thought we weren't.

@BlackD... thats why I said "can I suggest"... it was a suggestion, I wanted to see what other people thought of it

Quote:
just have to miss out on any good spots and nether resources?
How can you miss out on nether resources? And good spots are all in the eye of the beholder...

Last edited by DangerMouse; 17th October 2011 at 12:46 PM.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2011, 12:55 PM   #19 (permalink)
Server Admin
Dangerous - Post: 669

Inspired

Quote:
How can you miss out on nether resources? And good spots are all in the eye of the beholder...
We'll be bordered eventually, and it won't take long to mine all the Glowstone out from around spawn.

And judging from the places people have built, folks have pretty good eyes. It's a shame more people don't find plains beautiful instead.
Old 17th October 2011, 01:06 PM   #20 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1614

Amused

Hopefully the border is going to be pretty big, so it'll take a long time to get all the glowstone mined...

You can always alter the landscape around your place... you can build your castle on the plains then alter the plains to become a cliff face
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote