Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24th October 2011, 08:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Team Fortress 2
Deadly - Post: 1389

Default map render server4.... or not.

So I downloaded the Server4 map onto my PC and rendered a map to see how it was all going. The world data file is not that big, 344Mb, but when I rendered it with 7 levels of zoom, the map files are 25G! It also took like 3 hours solid computing on my i7-930 with 6gb of ram.

I don't really want to waste my hosting resources on hosting a map for the temporary worlds, and in future, I think I am going to have to do something else to make it worthwhile. Or if people are really keen, maybe someone else can step up to the plate to host the map rendering/files until I sort out cheaper resources and hosting (I am working on it)
exekewtable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 24th October 2011, 09:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Division Captain
RUST
Dangerous - Post: 801 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Amused

I've got unlimited space and bandwidth on a US server, so if you want I can host the files.
I can't do anything CPU intestive with it, but space and bandwidth is all we can eat
AdmiralTriggerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 10:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8329 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Isn't there any way to provide some sort of reader that reads the map data directly and displays it in a web browser? I know we've talked about this before, but that would certainly minimize the amount of data needed. However it would possibly affect the CPU on the server a bit more, but that depends on how the program was implemented.
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 10:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9194

Most of the "live" maps I have seen are as detailed as our present maps.

Part of the problem with the Tectonicus mapping is that it takes ages to work out what chunks have changed since the previous maps, then it takes a while to make each layer of the maps. Hence, a biggish world like World4 makes a big map, takes time, cpu and memory.

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 10:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2836

How big is the world so far? I know some folks have been as far as 4000 blocks from spawn.
Stuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 11:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 358

Fine

In search of a mushroom island, i made it out to -5000, -5000.

Didn't see any mushroom islands though

Played with TOG: WAR, Eve, Champions Online, TF2, Global Agenda, LOTRO, SWTOR.
Before TOG: WOW, EVE, LOTRO
Gersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 11:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Team Fortress 2
Deadly - Post: 1389

yeah I went searching too. I reckon mushroom islands are rarer than strongholds. shame.
exekewtable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 12:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 566

Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorontar View Post
Most of the "live" maps I have seen are as detailed as our present maps.

Part of the problem with the Tectonicus mapping is that it takes ages to work out what chunks have changed since the previous maps, then it takes a while to make each layer of the maps. Hence, a biggish world like World4 makes a big map, takes time, cpu and memory.
Live maps are certainly doable, though you would need a custom map plug-in to do it. At least for live maps you would only be processing the data requested for the map area at the time.

The key to live maps, though, is restricting the size of the world window you can view - there would be no viewing the whole world, for example -to cut down the number of chunks you need to process.

I did take a look at it, but I don't have enough control over my hosting server to do any sensible metrics on processing time (I was only looking at a static copy of the old creative world).
Old 25th October 2011, 12:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8329 TOG Silver Level Supporter

A hybrid solution perhaps? When zoomed in far you're in a "live map" but when you zoom out past a certain threshold you go over to compiled images instead. That way the image sizes can be massively reduced and the live map is only used where it shines; zoomed in.
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 07:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
Division Captain
Minecraft
Lethal - Post: 5619 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Lurking

is there one that just renders the surface, Tectronics includes data about whats under the ground etc, (you can see this on the edges) all we need it hte surface
DarkDuck is offline   Reply With Quote