Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28th October 2011, 12:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Average - Post: 161

Cheerful
Default MC Server Hosting Recommendations?

Hi all,

I'm looking paying for a small hosted MC Server for myself plus some mates (and our kids) - max 10 people.

The "official" Minecraft forums seem to recommend DaddyCheese among others and I was wondering if anyone had suggestions/recommendations for someone playing out of Oz.

One of the options we're also considering is going for a blank server and doing the MC install and setup ourselves (vs. just paying for a pre-built Minecraft VM)...

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Currently playing... World of Tanks

Hardz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 28th October 2011, 12:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Guild Leader
Final Fantasy XIV
Lethal - Post: 5554 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Lurking

Exe hosts ours he.might be able to help pm him.
DarkDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2011, 01:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 3916

Doh

Exe ran down the specs he uses the other night and it isn't for the faint of heart.

If you google 'minecraft server vps' it should give you a good amount of detail. Basically the RAM seems to be the main sticking point where depending on the number of players and the size of the world you need to allocate more RAM resources. Then you need to load all the mods etc. I believe there are ready-to-run kits with various setups for this side of things.

Hosting in Australia will set you back quite a lot of $$$ each month for a 1 gig RAM server (I think most people recommend at least 1 gig) - probably between $80 and $100.
Old 28th October 2011, 01:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp!at View Post
Then you need to load all the mods etc. I believe there are ready-to-run kits with various setups for this side of things.
Some mods also need a database of some sort. Many start off allowing things like SqlLite, but end up switching over to just MySql. Like with Minecraft, you have to be prepared to have to change your mod setup every 6 months (or less) if you are going to do it all yourself.

Sorontar

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2011, 03:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2818

Drunk

Old 28th October 2011, 04:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

lol... running servers isn't that hard. It just gets messy every time you want to update mods after Mojang issues a new release. One server I have been watching keeps chopping and changing which mods they use.

Sorontar

Old 31st October 2011, 02:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Average - Post: 161

Cheerful

Thanks Red!

Based on the fact that it's just me, a couple of mates and our kids I'm going to start out slow.

I ended up getting a $8/mth (12 slot) server through daddycheese.com...

It took 5 minutes to get the server up and running and so far it's all going well. They even support Bukkit, so I might have a look at the benefits of that.

I'll run it for a month until we're out of beta and see where we want to go from there.

For what it's worth, if you're looking for a cheap and quick MC server, this was pretty painless.

Cheers

Currently playing... World of Tanks

Hardz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2011, 02:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardz View Post
It took 5 minutes to get the server up and running and so far it's all going well. They even support Bukkit, so I might have a look at the benefits of that.
I recommend using Bukkit plugins like General for the basic commands. One called Essentials is an alternate to General but I tend to avoid it because it has tried to do too much for one mod (even though the developer was forced to split it up into components at one stage). There are various other mods for terrain modification and teleporting that might be helpful before you start getting into the wierder plugins (ie. machine guns and lasers).

If you need to control what commands your kids and mates can use, then you will need something like PermissionsEx (PEX) or PermissionsBukkit , which is much more complex.

Sorontar

ps. We are using General on Sanctuary so I can help you if you need to set permissions for its commands.