Sanctuary has been with us for a couple of months but has been restricted to a small landspace due to the changes we knew were coming to terrain generation etc. With that restricted space came a need to work as a community, so various restrictions and building procedures were recommended. (Hopefully) soon we will be able to expand the border and people will be able to journey out to find a place to build bigger and grander designs than the fine townhouses in the spawn village.
However, there are still a few possible issues that I would like the Division to consider and discuss. Some of these are similar to those brought up in the How should we set up Frontier?
thread, but it is expected that Sanctuary will have different kind of gameplay.
The proposed setting for Sanctuary is:
- Bukkit with various plugins (as for Frontier)
- No PvP allowed.
- No constraints on building size or nature outside the spawn village area.
- Players can claim an area for their exclusive use, from bedrock to skytop.
- Mods will allow teleportation between players, spawn and a home location.
- Mods will allow multiple warp points to be set (but the number per player will be limited). Frontier will not have this ability.
- Access to the Nether is allowed.
- A map will be made regularly (probably per week, as is currently the fashion)
Much of this is the same as was for the old Creative server. However, with Minecraft 1.0, new challenges and opportunities arise, bringing with them unanswered questions. I am guided by the survey I ran before 1.8 arrived, but I would like you to discuss the following questions so the admins can consider how we eventually set up a greater Sanctuary server.
- Do you want monsters to spawn at all? They are known to be a good source of various items, like bones for bonemeal and blaze rods for potions etc. However, they can also interfere with your constructions, i.e. endermen and creepers.
- Do you want any ability to spawn some of your own items? This is one way to get around having no monsters.
- Do you want hunger to be an issue? What level of difficulty do you want? You can have hard (level 3) but no monsters.
- Do you want to be able to fly?
- The big one - do you want this world to actually be Creative mode and not have to mine at all?
- As for Frontier, what shall we do about NPC villages, NPCs and strongholds? Protect them, make them community projects or let people claim them for their own projects?
- What about abandoned mines?
Please note that this world is not intended to be for players to come in and fiddle on small constructions that they wish to recreate on Frontier. That sort of testing can be done on single player. This world is for permanent constructions. It can be used for grand plans in a safer and more protected environment than Frontier. It is where the players, young and old, can work together through the game day and night without having to fortify themselves.
This is not a poll. However, some of you weren't playing with the division when I ran the survey and we were never sure exactly what sort of game we would end up with at that time. I also realise that not all of you have an interest in Sanctuary, but I just want to find out how people think they would like to use Sanctuary. For that reason, I want to make it different to Frontier. With your help, we can finalise how.
 but polls might eventuate from the discussion. We will see.