Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23rd December 2011, 10:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
Division Captain
RUST
Dangerous - Post: 801 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Amused

I for one vote for it staying on Friday the 30th as I'm working on the 27th, 28th and 29th
AdmiralTriggerH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 23rd December 2011, 10:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2836

Stuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 11:58 PM   #13 (permalink)
Team Fortress 2
Deadly - Post: 1326

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorontar View Post
Frontier is not tonight because I do not have time to set it up. It is not simply turning it on. The Sanctuary upgrade took around 4 hours (plus the testing and experiments in days and weeks before).
Ultimately, at this time of year, shceduling does not matter - someone will miss out. There is no way of finding a date that suits all. Some want it sooner (because they want to get started) some later (because they are working/away).

I say stick to the proposed friday and be done with it. Personally, it means that I will miss out but that's fine. It is simply a bad time of year for a world start, but that is no-one's fault (and certainly not Sorontar's).

Administering a server - especially one with various plugins - is a complex and time consuming task. Most people are not aware just how much time is sucked up by it. So be patient just a little longer and you will have your Frontier. Use the next week to spend some time with your families!

Manuzza
Manuzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2011, 02:02 AM   #14 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 632

Tired

After playing with only a few plugins on a local server to toy with the worldborder fill commands and a few other plugins I think I can grasp the true reality of what is involved, so thank you in advance
Old 24th December 2011, 05:30 AM   #15 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8329 TOG Silver Level Supporter

I don't see what's so important with the starting time anyway, it's not like the world isn't still there a few days after it launched.
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2011, 05:35 AM   #16 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 3916

Doh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaedalusAlpha View Post
I don't see what's so important with the starting time anyway, it's not like the world isn't still there a few days after it launched.
This.

It ain't going to be mined out in a day

Perhaps a largish protected zone around spawn could be in place until some time in January. That way those of us that started our holidays yesterday and are are already bored out of our skulls can have something to do - and then we can have a community event in January to build up the spawn area.
Old 24th December 2011, 07:04 AM   #17 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Guild Leader
Architect
Minecraft
Deadly - Post: 1667

Happy

The Tuesday would be fine if Sor has the time to set it up for us. Otherwise the Friday would be good as well.

I'm fine with either. I would like to see sooner than later but that's a personal opinion.
Old 24th December 2011, 08:37 AM   #18 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 617

Same here. I'm fine with the 30th as well, if the schedule for sooner doesn't work out.

There are a few things that I wouldn't mind finishing up on World4 just for completion.

Last edited by Brew; 24th December 2011 at 08:39 AM.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2011, 10:32 AM   #19 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9195

The original Survival world started on New Year's Day, 2011. It was a chaotic scene as everyone started on a small sand island (and I mean small) with zombies and skeletons approaching from either sides of us. Whilst fending them off, we tried to build up what was to become the spawn fortress. Eventually some players were bold enough to journey away and start the community mine, enabling us to strengthen the fortress. It was an event.

While we might all be a bit more experienced at battling mobs and the game has changed, the start of Frontier could be something similar, especially if we have hunger to also deal with.

So that is why I am trying to find a convenient time for Frontier's start. As for all events, I realise that this is hard to do, especially with players from all over the globe, but I see no harm in trying.

Sorontar
ps. Thanks to Bukkit, there will be no spawn protection, so things can be built around spawn.

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2011, 11:41 AM   #20 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5122

Amused

When Frontier starts, could we have a weekly 'frontier night'. Would be cool to have a regular run together.

30th is my birthday too, so will be a fun night.

Last edited by HenriDeacon; 24th December 2011 at 11:49 AM.
HenriDeacon is offline   Reply With Quote