Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 5th January 2012, 09:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9129

Default The Sanctuary engine now has /warp capability

The final major component of Sanctuary has now been added - warppoints! The /warp command is now useable on Sanctuary to set, delete, use, share, list and search for warppoints. The /warp help command will show you some of the possible commands, but the basic ones are listed below.
  • /warp POINTNAME - teleport to POINTNAME
  • /warp create POINTNAME - create a public warppoint called POINTNAME at your present location
  • /warp createp POINTNAME - create a private warppoint
  • /warp createg POINTNAME - create a global warppoint
  • /warp list - list known warppoints that you can travel to
  • /warp listed POINTNAME yes - add a public/global WARPPOINT to everyone's list
  • /warp delete POINTNAME - remove a warppoint
  • /warp search SEARCHTERM - search the list for warppoints related to SEARCHTERM
The convention used in this Division is to precede all your warppoint names with your own name or a suitable abbreviation, e.g. sorontar.castle . Therefore, please do not set warppoints called just home, top, tower or trap.

If a warppoint is public or global, anyone can use it. If it is private, only those you have invited to use it, can use it. Only those warppoints that you have listed will show up on a list or in a search. Players can use warppoints even if they aren't visible on their list. The status of warppoints can be changed. Moderators and Admins can see all warppoints.

Please note that each player is restricted in how many public and private warppoints they can set. The present limit is 10 public and 10 private. These limits can be reviewed if need be.

The relevant mod (xWarp for those who are interested) isn't without faults (e.g. the listed bit), but it is pretty much what we used to use on the Creative server (not surprising since it is based on the same code).

So what can I say but .... engage!

Sorontar

ps. No, this will not be added to Frontier.

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 5th January 2012, 11:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Average - Post: 172

Great! What is the difference between public and global?
Old 5th January 2012, 11:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8306 TOG Silver Level Supporter

I don't know if this is possible in the mod, but what if you always automatically appended the user name in front of the warp name "behind the scenes"? Except if the user writes out a name specifically, something like name.location in which case "name" would be used instead of the user name.

So essentially you work in your own "namespace" as long as you don't specifically indicate something else.

(The same thing exists in for example C++ where you can either write something like namesp::function(); or begin the file with "using namespace namesp" and then it's enough to write only function(); without having to precede it with "namesp::" as you're already working "inside" that namespace)
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2012, 11:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9129

Quote:
Originally Posted by joohansson View Post
Great! What is the difference between public and global?
I don't really technically know, but the way I would treat it would be public warppoints are under your control but are for others to use, e.g. sorontar.castle is the entrance to my castle gates. Global warppoints are community-based points, e.g a warp to spawn.

Quote:
I don't know if this is possible in the mod, but what if you always automatically appended the user name in front of the warp name "behind the scenes"?
The DB records who starts each warppoint and who owns it. However, the naming practise we use originated from a mod that didn't have the feature. Without it, we would find warps like "top" and not know who set them. Now it is just a way to help organise the warppoints, as we can search for "sorontar" and it will tell the player all of my warppoints that are on their list.

While it would be helpful to have this automated a little, there are few flaws in the idea. Firstly, not all warppoints need it, like the global warpoints I have set, e.g. spawn, nether.spawn. Secondly, not all players may want to use their player names, due to their length, e.g. Joohansson might want to use jooh and Danger Mouse might use dm. Thirdly, this is something to approach the developer about (cf. xWarp - Bukkit), as we can't do it. It is our way of doing things, not his.

Sorontar

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote