Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22nd January 2012, 03:41 PM   #21 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samah View Post
Perhaps you could install VoxelSniper and make a map of Australia?
I had a look around to see if anyone already had one prepared but couldn't find one (but did find a small version of the world we might use for another event/challenge). I don't have time but if anyone wants to prepare a new Australia world before Thursday, we can use it instead of Frontier. It would need to be at least as big as Sanctuary spawn village (500x500).

Sorontar

Sorontar is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 22nd January 2012, 07:35 PM   #22 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4009

Cheeky

Ok, how about a variation on the Kelly gang idea....

All players divided into 2 teams, one "Kelly Gang" one "The Law".

We set up a new world for the event (so everyone starts with nothing and has no prior knowledge of the terrain). There is a small town and a train (I like that idea), each with a chest (or more) of random treasure (more weapons, food etc.).

There is a pre defined area for each team (equal distance from the town), in which there are chests with some basic building supplies, armour and weapons and a bed. When we start, each team has 30 mins to build their fortress however they wish, with the building materials supplied (and perhaps with additional supplies they gather themselves if they want to go punching trees?).

In the centre of each team's defined area is a chest with a special piece of treasure they have to guard (essentially a "capture the flag" situation). This chest (and it's contents) can't be moved, buried or blocked off - it must be able to be reached if an opposing team member makes it through the fortress. You can make it difficult to get to (by way of a maze-like fortress or good defence preventing people getting into the fortress), but it has to be reasonably easy to obtain, and no death-traps.

The idea is to build a good enough fort that it's difficult for the opposing team to get in (should we make it that no blocks can be destroyed? for that extra challenge of not being able to just pick your way in?). So you try and prevent the team getting into your fortress if you can by having good defence (and/or preventing them getting away with the treasure, by killing them before they get back to their fort and returning your treasure to it's chest)

Then when 30 mins build time is up, the game is on - Each team needs to both protect their treasure and go searching for the other team's treasure, and optionally, find the treasure in the train and town and take it back to their fortress. So each team needs to work as a team, and decide who is going to defend their treasure and who goes to raid.

The winning team is the team that is able to bring the opposing team's treasure to their treasure chest. If the town/train was also looted, then that is bonus treasure to be divided up among the team who has it at the end (that treasure may change hands or be used during the game).

... thoughts?

Last edited by Obsi; 22nd January 2012 at 07:38 PM.
Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2012, 02:18 PM   #23 (permalink)
Team Fortress 2
Deadly - Post: 1326

How about - "it sounds like so much work it might not be worth it." Especially as, since it is a public holiday, it is unknown how many people will actually be available. So why don't we just have a creative server for the day and build all sorts of Australiana in it:

- Sydney Harbour Bridges
- Massive Vegemite Jars
- Great Barrier Reef
- Anything else you can imagine

Simpler?

Manuzza
Manuzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2012, 04:36 PM   #24 (permalink)

Cheeky

I'm happy to set it up if people are interested. But a general free build thing works too. But we need to make a decision ASAP

Old 23rd January 2012, 04:58 PM   #25 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

The Build bit can be done separately from the Kelly combat.

The general free build can work with the Australia Day challenge list. Whether we do it on a temporary world or use Frontier (or a section of Sanctuary) might depend on whether we want monsters to be a part of it. Take it as given that I will write this challenge list up and publish it on Wed night for Thursday. People can take on the challenges, or just build their own representations of Ocker Minecraft. No sweat how you play (or even do your own non-Aussie thing).

The Kelly combat is a harder one. So far Obsi is the only one who has put their hand up to run it. If she runs it, she gets to decide what the rules are, so if you want changes, like more differentiation between the teams, speak now. She needs to get the rules and world sorted out asap.

Sorontar

ps. Please don't be afraid to volunteer to help. Obsi will probably need assistance in running this. She can't referee combat on an entire world by herself.

Old 24th January 2012, 09:19 AM   #26 (permalink)
RUST
Dangerous - Post: 784 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Amused

I'd love to be involved, but I don't think I can make it.
I'm working that day and I'm also staying with my brother due to the bathroom upgrade at my place.
So I'm computerless and hence why I've been absent for awhile, but I'll see if I can kick my brother off his computer
AdmiralTriggerH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2012, 11:32 AM   #27 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 663

If its at night I may be able to participate but my day time activites are very limited game wise.
Old 24th January 2012, 12:07 PM   #28 (permalink)

Cheeky

we generally do all events at night (Aus time), so the working folk can participate

Old 24th January 2012, 12:10 PM   #29 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsi View Post
we generally do all events at night (Aus time), so the working folk can participate
And that is why the challenge part is a day long 'event'. People can do it at their own pace (or not at all).

Sorontar