Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 9th January 2012, 12:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9245

Default An idea for Australia Day

I have been thinking about an event to run on Australia Day (Jan 26). It is a Thursday, but it is a public holiday in Australia and I think it would be a good excuse for a Minecraft event. I haven't worked out much, so tell me what you think.

It would be an event on Frontier to make the most of the dangers facing the European colonists who landed near Sydney on this date. It would run all day and be a challenge, where each participant would be given a list of tasks to complete. Each task will be given a score, so if anyone wants to be super competitive, they can measure how well they completed the challenge compared to others.

Each participant will also be given a starting set of items which they will place in an empty inventory. These items will include:
  • a in-game map showing a place on Frontier
  • three cloth blocks
  • some fish and zombie meat
  • a metal pick and axe
  • bow and arrows
  • some torches
  • a boat
The idea is that you need to find the mapped place on the bigger world map and 'sail' there on your boat. Once there, you can set about completing the tasks.

The tasks:
  1. Tall ships - Travel to the colonisation site
  2. Settlement - Make and place a bed and place a sign with your name on it
  3. Aboriginal art - Make a 10x10 wall piece of art using stone, yellow and red wool (bonus points if you use sand or netherak instead of wool)
  4. Farming - Grow and maintain 10+ wheat plants
  5. Cattle industry - Fence in 5+ cows (can be bred)
  6. Sheep industry - Fence in 5+ sheep (can be bred, bonus points for each colour - multiculturism)
  7. Dropbear - Fence in and protect a zombie
  8. Bunyip - Fence in and protect a creeper
I am having trouble trying to think of more tasks. They need to be loosely associated with Australia, but only in a nice way. Any ideas? Some Aussie things we might be able to use are the Great Barrier Reef, Sydney Opera House, Victorian Arts Centre Spire, gold rush, sport.

Sorontar

Last edited by Sorontar; 9th January 2012 at 12:08 PM.
Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 9th January 2012, 04:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Team Fortress 2
Deadly - Post: 1326

Aussie BBQ - Have pork, beef and chicken all cooking at the same time while standing around with 1 other person holding bread.

Sickie - Spend an entire day cycle sitting on a beach.

Welfare State - Con the admins into building your house for you using creative mode.

Manuzza
Manuzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 05:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuzza View Post
Aussie BBQ - Have pork, beef and chicken all cooking at the same time while standing around with 1 other person holding bread.
I like that idea. Maybe:

• BBQ - Cook 5 pork, 5 beef and 5 chickens. Make 5 bread (bonus points if you store them in a dispenser).

Your other ideas, whilst funny aren't quite what I am after. Though in a similar vein,

• Public Transport - Construct a train line to another person's bed, but don't make any minecarts.

More seriously,

• China and back - dig a hole to bedrock and supply some means of travelling there and back safely, e.g. ladder, minecarts, portals
  • Redback on the dunny - Capture a spider in a building.
  • Home among the gumtrees - make a building that has a verandah/porch with a chair on it, a rotary clothesline, and is surrounded by trees.

Sorontar

Old 10th January 2012, 03:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 634

Tired

Can we steal claims of other players with black avatars (wait... that's me!) then raise their sheep and cows as are own?
Old 10th January 2012, 03:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira Doe View Post
Can we steal claims of other players with black avatars (wait... that's me!) then raise their sheep and cows as are own?
Certainly not as black avatars, but perhaps if you wear a hat with pieces of cork hanging down. But if you get caught, you have to drown yourself.

Maybe not then. But keep hitting me with ideas. If someone-else wants to take over running this, just coo-ee. Also, please indicate if you would be interested in trying this challenge. If people don't want to do it, I won't run it.

Sorontar

ps. Now we have two worlds I have been thinking about other events for the coming months. If anyone wants to run anything, send me a PM or post your ideas on the forum.

Old 12th January 2012, 01:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2774

Innocent

I think this sounds like a good laugh!

Manuzza's "Sickie" has to be on the list! Group unlock - everyone has to get to the beach at the same time and stay till sunset.

include some skin awards - best historical, best themed etc.
The "Pine Gap" unlock - build a trap in a mates backyard. (bonus points for snowmen guards)
Old 12th January 2012, 04:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1250

Amused

Find the sunken/half buried in the beach sand historical Dutch/Portuguese shipwreck.
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2012, 07:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5138

Amused

Aussie Trivia game.

I could dig up fun questions and am happy to run the game. I would give out block prizes to the winners.

Last edited by HenriDeacon; 12th January 2012 at 08:07 PM.
HenriDeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2012, 08:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Architect
Minecraft
Competent - Post: 396

"sports "

Spleef, Capture the flag with PvP ?
Espesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2012, 08:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5138

Amused

Fox hunt, where we chase a 'bandit' through the forest, hunt him down to the death and retrieve the stolen gold.