Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27th January 2012, 03:31 PM   #21 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2752

Innocent

I'm good with a pirate bay theme - and I think my preference in texture packs is pretty obvious...
Also once decided we should start putting together a list of buildings and people can put their hands up to be responsible for them - prehaps even run a few tests so they can get a feel for it...?

Old 28th January 2012, 07:00 AM   #22 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 2237

Relaxed

for a practise one ... is it possible to do it backwards .. and take down something already existing and then reverse the video... but have the server saved so as soon as finished we can reload the server with the things back again ><

Last edited by DeeP; 28th January 2012 at 07:03 AM.
DeeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2012, 09:10 AM   #23 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4012

Cheeky

I have heard that some are done that way, but I think that's kinda cheating :P (and you'd have to destroy it in a way that looked like reverse building) I actually like to see in some of them how they have had to redo something - it proves it's filmed as it's made and it shows even the best aren't infallible!

Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2012, 09:44 AM   #24 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5113

Amused

We could use a theme from a book or film, that would give the video a lot of exposure on youtube.

Doing an Australian theme would limit interest in the video to 23 million people.

If we do a good job then maybe get featured on the official MC forum front page.

Good communication will be important during the building process.

I would be happy to promote this event within TOG, I have been quite good at getting people involved in events in other games.

Would also suggest a short practice run of something small, to give Obsi the chance to trial the screenshoting and merging to video.

Last edited by HenriDeacon; 28th January 2012 at 09:59 AM.
HenriDeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2012, 10:08 AM   #25 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 663

Recording would be better than screenshots IMO as you dont miss anything. Bandicam is good because it doesnt miss frames and also compresses as it records. If the project is done in sessions you just use any one of a thousand free video editors to splice the recordings together before doing the final timelapse edit.

My 2 cents
Old 28th January 2012, 04:21 PM   #26 (permalink)

Cheeky

Definitely a trial run would be in order.

Movie/book things would be more exposure but would mean more chance of us not doing it "right" though... if it's something of our own conception then at least we don't have anything to live up to and nobody can sit there going "ohh, they haven't done that right, it should be 3 blocks higher and to the left" :P I know I've seen things done and gone "ohh, it's pretty good, but they should have done XYZ", whereas I don't think I've ever had that thought when looking at something done that's not a recognisable thing.

Though Minas Tirith, or Hoth battle scene would be awesome (though both already done)... there are so many cool things out there just begging to be replicated in minecraft.

We could always video our practice one too... if it turns out too crappy to publish then we don't publish... if it turns out ok, we pop it on the channel anyway and say it's a test and link to the eventual proper one.

Quote:
Recording would be better than screenshots IMO as you dont miss anything.
When we were talking about screen shots, we were talking about a minecraft mod that automatically takes a screenshot every second or 2 (or how often you set it up)... so when you combine those in an editor, you get a time lapse video..... which is apparently lower file size than the equivalent made as a video recording.

I've bought playclaw (like fraps) and yesterday practised making a vid of my place - editing it with movie maker (which is in my temple thread in the gallery)..... so I'm now familiar with how that all works, and with the edited video the file size dropped dramatically (as in from 641mb for a 3:25min file without audio to 111mb for a 3:45min file with music), with no discernible difference in quality from the original.... so given that, I agree, videoing rather than screenshotting would be the better way to go, since we should be able to do it and keep the filesize low enough (hopefully).

Last edited by Obsi; 28th January 2012 at 04:24 PM.
Old 28th January 2012, 04:35 PM   #27 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9172

A few things would need to be sorted out in advance.

A poll would have to be run on how long to run this for. As this would rob us of Sanctuary for a while, we would have to decide how long. When I ran the survey in the division, one of the questions was "What type of time-frame would you like for any competitions?"
The responses were:
11 short - one day/night
13 medium - one week
6 long - one month

This suggests to me that any construction would have to plan to last one week at the most. If it ends up needing to be longer, then we might have to allocate it certain days of the week.

The second point is more of a question - can the video mods work with Bukkit if they are at the server end, or will the videos purely be client-based?

Sorontar

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2012, 04:58 PM   #28 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5113

Amused

How about multiverse mod. I have played it on 1.0 and it's great for running multiple worlds.

We could build on one world without affecting Sanctuary.
Old 28th January 2012, 06:17 PM   #29 (permalink)

Cheeky

The poll you ran though, most people wouldn't have been thinking of something like this... most people would have been working on an "event" being like the Australia day thing.

We would need to decide how much time we think the build will take. Which will depend on who is wanting to be involved and how much time they can put in at the time we choose to do it...... and most importantly, what we build..... eg will people be able to dedicate one day of a weekend for building (in which case we might get it done in one or 2 days) or will it be only a couple of hours a night (in which case it's a couple of nights a week over 2-3 weeks)? It's likely we won't have a definite timeframe for when it's going to be finished - just a "when its done". Especially since we've never built anything like this before. With several of us working on it, it could be done in only 12 hours... or it could be 4 times that...

We would need the server to be running only when whoever is videoing (I presume me) is on, so we're not missing parts of the build (but that's fine, I can accomodate being on pretty much whenever anyone else wants to do it)...

I would think what would be best is if we can get a 3rd port set up with this build world there which is only actually running while we're using it.

If we can't get another spot allocated on the TOG server (we can look at providing a hosting advertisement at the end of the video [and I was thinking we should build a TOG logo as a start clip thing to put at the front of the video to advertise TOG]), then we'd be better off looking for external hosting and each builder contributing a few dollars to the cost... So that we have the server available when we need it - rather than taking away the Sanctuary one.

Old 30th January 2012, 01:18 PM   #30 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2752

Innocent

What about a reserved area within the existing Sanctuary server?
We can expand in one direction further than others with the extra area reserved for this project.
In this way no world is affected, the project timeline can be "indefinate" and recording sessions can be advertised... at the border you can even have a red light showing when filming is on
This means we could sort of plan and go, and regroup at any point...may mean a longer timeframe.

Would also need to find a way to prevent changes to the area during non filming times....