TOG Latest

Chris Roberts Recognises the Star Cit...

The rising interest in Star Citizen in TOG has gai...

Warthunder heard throughout TOG

The sounds of Warthunder is being heard throughout TOG

Dota 2 Release

DOTA2 Released.

Planetside 2 Release 20-Nov-2012 PST

The long awaited and critically acclaimed PlanetSi...

Division Latest

TOG MindCrack - Mining, Machines, Mag...

TOG's MindCrack Minecraft server offers all that's...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Machines and magic in Minecraft - 'Fe...

Over the vacation period, a "Feed The Beast" Mod p...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30th January 2012, 01:40 PM   #31 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1248

Amused

I think Bazz's suggestion has merit. I don't really see a reason to have a server exclusive for the event, and the final product would most likely be a great asset to the server, and can even be used for special themed events later on.

I have an extra minecraft account (whitelisted) and PC which could help, and can even get another fliming perspective for added effect in the final video, and a backup filming in case one goes awry. Or try different timing of frames etc.

As for contributing to the build I, like some others, might feel a bit concerned about not having as much artistic flair as others and worried about ruining the build.
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 30th January 2012, 01:49 PM   #32 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9010

Well, work out how you want to run this. Do you want to be able to export the design/world when you have finished? Would you want to use tools that aren't presently available on our servers, e.g. VoxelSniper. Will there always have to be a camera on hand? Will you always have to have a "foreman/woman" on hand?

I certainly like all this. I know that we could try setting this up on another host, so we don't overdo Exe's charitable hosting of our existing servers. However, now that you started working out what you want to do (cf. Timelapse build theme), I recommend you think about how you want to do it.

What are the key aspects of the project you want to use?
  • Done in Creative mode? (I suspect this is a given)
  • Terraforming mods (VoxelSniper etc)? [1]
  • Limit who can use what tools?
  • Limited time frame?
  • Defined target design scope or "always open for improvements and additions"?
  • Only available for predefined sessions or always available for improvements?
  • Single head honcho, a committee or all-in?
  • Must a foreman always be present during sessions?
  • Start with a flat world or a 'natural world'?
  • Video it all or just occasionally?
  • Leave the videoing to one person or have a team of videographers?
  • anything else?
Sorontar

[1] You really will need something like the Bukkit admin tools we use as well, so I recommend you only pick mods that work with Bukkit. We can tell you which ones work with our tools.

Sorontar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2012, 02:41 PM   #33 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2752

Innocent

The only thing I can think of needing mod tools for would be to protect the area whilst filming was not happening.
I think if it's not being filmed, then it should be hands off - we want to see start to finish.

I like Max's idea of more than one camera to give extra coverage, and I'd sugest that if a mod was used to protect blocks, then only the videographers be given access to enable / disable that protection.

I'd suggest a committee under a single foreman so that any deadlocks can be broken.
I also think once a completed design is established, shared and agreed upon there will be little cause of conflict in any regard.

I was also thinking we should build "demo" copies of common things - roads will look like 'this', when going up like 'this' etc etc as a form of reference, and agree that for continuity, a set of building mats is a must.
Old 30th January 2012, 02:56 PM   #34 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 68

VoxelSniper should really only be used for carving out the land, ready for construction. This could be done before the timelapse begins too. Once we begin, I don't think anyone should have access to any "build helping" tools. It would kinda spoil the fun. Minimap mods should of course be allowed (and encouraged, for this project).

If it's possible, I say film it all!
Samah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2012, 02:56 PM   #35 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 3994

Cheeky

I suppose it depends on what people's idea of this is... My idea of it is to create a time lapse video and a download of the resulting world, which can help promote this division and just be something cool we've achieved as a group. To me, it's not about having the epic building on our server, but rather the creation of something that we can show off.

Quote:
What about a reserved area within the existing Sanctuary server?
Well the main 2 problems I see is that #1 I think being able to offer the world for download is going to be of benefit for promoting TOG/this division, which we can't really do if it's on the server with all out other stuff ...... So having a dedicated world means the only thing on it is our construction, so it's a smaller file and people can download it to check it out in their SP game.

and #2 we really need people only to build when it's being filmed, or we'll end up with huge chunks of build missing from the video.... and I don't think there is (easily) a way to prevent people building in only part of an existing world.

Quote:
As for contributing to the build I, like some others, might feel a bit concerned about not having as much artistic flair as others and worried about ruining the build.
I'm kinda in that position too - I was hoping that people like Misnik who makes some awesome constructions can get together with us all and brainstorm about the look of the build and we can have a bit of a practice, and those who are artistically challenged can work on completing buildings that someone else has designed and laid out. but that's where a practice session I'm sure would be of great benefit, if we can get on for a few hours of testing... we can make a few buildings and get group opinion of how they look - and we can take that advice and help and use what we've learned when we do the actual build.

Quote:
I have an extra minecraft account (whitelisted) and PC which could help, and can even get another fliming perspective for added effect in the final video, and a backup filming in case one goes awry. Or try different timing of frames etc.
excellent, the more video we have the better - it's always better to have too much than not enough I hope people will take screenshots as we go as well, as those could be nice to have too.

My thoughts:
  • Done in Creative mode? - yes
  • Terraforming mods - Depends on what we decide to build, possibly not
  • Limit who can use what tools? - not sure, we might not need tools
  • Limited time frame? - Sort of... when we plan what we will build and how big, we can guestimate a time we'd like to have it done by and work towards that, with the understanding that if we're not finished by that time, we work on it until it is finished.
  • Defined target design scope - We need to get to a point where we say it's finished, as there could always be more we "could" add, so we'd have to try and stop it being infinite building. Essentially I'd like to see us find a suitable location and we can run tectonicus to get a visual map, then we can plot out which buildings and whatnot we're going to put where (like "a tavern here", "a well goes here" - doesn't have to define what the building will look like or exactly how much space it will use), so that we have a plan going in - so we know what we're building and where it's "finished".
  • Only available for predefined sessions or always available for improvements? - Only in scheduled build sessions, so that a). nobody missed out on a build they want to be involved in (unless they can't make it) and b). All of it is filmed. If it's just always available, we could have a lot of stuff happen when nobody is on to film, and we could get people being confused with the plan and things built where they shouldn't - having scheduled build sessions means there is always someone there filming, always other people there to bounce ideas off and get help.
  • Single head honcho, a committee or all-in? - A committee would be better than a head honcho, but I think it's going to work best if we have a couple of people more or less in charge of overall design (after having discussed it all together as a group so everyone is involved in giving input), with everyone else doing their smaller parts within that and working on the larger designed things.
  • Must a foreman always be present during sessions? - Ideally, yes - though there probably should be a couple of "foreman" people
  • Start with a flat world or a 'natural world'? - Depends entirely on what we're going to build... if we go a village for example, there is no point starting on a flat world that is going to look boring and need teraforming to make it look "natural" anyway - we should be able to find land suitable in a standard non-edited world. Especially for our first build, if we can limit the need for extensive terraforming and work on building, that will save a lot of time and planning.
  • Video it all or just occasionally? - video it all, as we can edit the final video to only include interesting bits, but we can't re-video anything we've forgotten to capture.
  • Leave the videoing to one person or have a team of videographers? - If we have people who can video then that's great. We can edit everyone's footage together later, or even have more than one video of the build
Quote:
I was also thinking we should build "demo" copies of common things - roads will look like 'this', when going up like 'this' etc etc as a form of reference, and agree that for continuity, a set of building mats is a must.
Definitely. While it's better if each building isn't a carbon copy of the rest, things like roads, lampposts etc. definitely look better being the same basic design. Buildings look best if they stick to the same type of materials... so you don't have a colourful wool house in among wood ones for example. So we can definitely set out a basic guideline to that - and we need to pick a texturepack, so that we're all on the same page when it comes to knowing what each thing is going to look like, as some packs look very different.

Last edited by Obsi; 30th January 2012 at 02:59 PM.
Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2012, 03:03 PM   #36 (permalink)

Cheeky

The problem is, a lot of planning questions can't be answered until we decide on what sort of thing we're going to build. Then we'll have an idea of what sort of time, whether we need to edit the world, what tex packs would work well, what materials to use and so on.

Really, we can't plan much now until we decide on the theme of the build... so pleas PLEASE, go here and put your suggestions in
Timelapse build theme
Old 31st January 2012, 08:06 PM   #37 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 68

It might be a good idea once we've chosen a theme for people to make up their own local creative worlds and just mess around with various designs (small buildings, bridges, etc.) Post screenshots once you're happy, and we can get a feel for what would work best.
Samah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2012, 01:04 AM   #38 (permalink)

Cheeky

yup, great idea