Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24th January 2012, 08:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 617

Default Sand Mining

Quick question about Frontier...

The next part of my project requires a large amount of sand and sandstone. Once I've exhausted what is in my area, I'll be needing to start a desert mine. Unlike my rock mines, which is underground and not disturbing anyone but the endearment and slimes (note, no actual slimes in my mine....I run a clean operation), a sand mine is at the surface and can be an eyesore.

Other than making sure that I'm not in someone's claim or nearby, is there anything that I should do to minimize the impact? I'm planning on building a small stone hut for shelter. Otherwise, just start digging a hole in any desert?

Old 24th January 2012, 09:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9245

Can you show us where on the map you want to mine? It will make your checking for other works a lot easier.

Sorontar

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2012, 09:49 AM   #3 (permalink)

I haven't started planning a target area yet, but I can certainly post it here once I have an idea of where.
Old 24th January 2012, 10:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8351 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Typically I think people should be able to mine sand out in the desert, it's a desert after all, not likely to attract much attention. And a mine is a kind of construction as well when you come to think of it; the scars in the landscape of an industrialized nation
We could even open up a public sand mine somewhere out in the middle of the desert and drag a railway line out there or something.

Though if you really want to make as little impression on the landscape as possible you can build a new cobble ground and put a shallow layer of sand on top of it.

I've had plenty of underground sand mines that work this way, even close to spawn on the old map and I don't think anyone ever found them
It's also convenient as you don't have to worry about night time and mobs.
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2012, 11:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 671

Yeehaw

A public mine and rail system sounds like a good solution. Make a little oasis out there and communal shelter etc.
Old 24th January 2012, 12:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4025

Cheeky

When I mine sand I always try to do it in a way that leaves the desert still looking nice, rather than just digging a big hole, I take a few layers from a large area... and if I get down to rock/dirt, I replace the sand to keep the look.

Also I do as Daedalus said, find an area of sand and dig it out, but keep the top layer of sand with dirt or something under it.

Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2012, 09:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Division Captain
Minecraft
Lethal - Post: 5704 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Lurking

I have a undersea sand mine, noone will notice the sand missing from the sea bed hehehe,

also I am buildign a bridge to a desert near me that is unclaimed and will make that into a sand mine area like how Daed has said (a trick I have used often)
DarkDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2012, 10:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Division Captain
Survivalist Games (Destiny PS4 Leader)
Dangerous - Post: 823 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Amused

I've started mining sand from a desert which is next to my sheep farm
I'm currently just strip mining it, but once I'm finished that im going to start a project out there too so then I'll clean it all up
AdmiralTriggerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2012, 11:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4025

Cheeky

Another good way to secretly gather sand is to clear out any sand underneath a road/path that's built on sand

Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2012, 01:44 AM   #10 (permalink)

Having had a closer look at my harbor, I have enough sand that needs to be dredged to last me a couple of weeks (this project is slow going), so I probably won't need a desert for a little while. When I do, I'll try Daedalus's suggestion.