Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 1st February 2012, 12:16 PM   #31 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 671

Yeehaw

Well after upgrading and reinstalling my client mods I get the wierdest graphical glitch where things become transparent but only in places. Basically the ground disappears and I can see cave systems, the only difference is that I used optifine instead of the hd patcher to install my texture pack.

Anyone else had this issue with optifine? It really makes building and avoiding mobs quite difficult when it happens which is very often.

Old 1st February 2012, 12:43 PM   #32 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Architect
Minecraft
Deadly - Post: 1667

Happy

I have gotten that many times with an unmodified client. It usually seems to be related to the lag load of the textures. Often right after a warp or on first loading.

I normally I see it the most often right after I die, and I go charging out the door in a rush to get my stuff.

So it may not be directly linked to whatever mods you use. I only recently got around to installing the HD patch for textures. I had it show up off and on before hand. Though I haven't been in 1.1 yet to see if its more common.
Old 1st February 2012, 12:52 PM   #33 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9246

The "missing chunks" bug has been in MC for a while. If you can't get into the chunk, try placing a torch next to it. I think the light algorithm forces the chunk to be shown.

Sorontar

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2012, 01:03 PM   #34 (permalink)

Yeehaw

This is just happening randomly, I put the lag on load down to exactly that, lag while java loads textures but this is new and I didnt have the problem with HD patcher. The reason I changed was to get the improved frame rates.
Old 1st February 2012, 01:30 PM   #35 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4025

Cheeky

It could be as a result of optifine, I've never used it, but if it's doing something different that might cause that bit extra strain on loading.

I have it frequently nowadays working around my place - I assume just because it's a lot of building in the area and it takes a while to load the chunks when I move into a new one. Usually they will eventually load properly, you just have to give them time. Sometimes patches still won't load properly and putting torches or other blocks on there can help bring it back or if that fails reconnecting generally fixes it.

Back in the early days (before beta), it pretty much always happened when you moved into a new chunk (if it didn't just crash the game on you instead).... you'd have to wait for the world to render properly around you. It was the only way I ever saw slimes until recently Now it's kinda handy to see abandoned mines and strongholds heh

But that is a different issue to the missing chunks "world hole" thing, which is where there will be a square "hole" right down through the ground where you can see a cross-section of the land..... and trying to step into it usually makes you bounce around.... which are also a "feature" that has always been around (though again they used to be much more frequent in early days), and can usually be fixed with either placing a torch at the edge of the "hole" or disconnecting and reconnecting... or just ignoring them, unless they are in your way.

Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2012, 02:59 PM   #36 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2948

Grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coralon View Post
Well after upgrading and reinstalling my client mods I get the wierdest graphical glitch where things become transparent but only in places. Basically the ground disappears and I can see cave systems, the only difference is that I used optifine instead of the hd patcher to install my texture pack.

Anyone else had this issue with optifine? It really makes building and avoiding mobs quite difficult when it happens which is very often.
I'm having a similar issue with OptiFine. It seems to occur only on lighting updates for me, though.

Which OptiFine are you using? (Standard, smooth, multi-core, etc.)?
Irimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2012, 03:07 PM   #37 (permalink)

Yeehaw

Multi-core, wondering if I should try standard and see if it helps. If not then back to HD patcher.
Old 1st February 2012, 05:39 PM   #38 (permalink)
Division Captain
Survivalist Games (Destiny PS4 Leader)
Dangerous - Post: 825 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Amused

Yeah the is a known issue with Optifine MT chunks not rendering especially with Nvidia cards, I get from time to time
Try the single core one
AdmiralTriggerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2012, 03:55 AM   #39 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 617

I went back to the standard version for that very reason.