TOG Latest

Chris Roberts Recognises the Star Cit...

The rising interest in Star Citizen in TOG has gai...

Warthunder heard throughout TOG

The sounds of Warthunder is being heard throughout TOG

Dota 2 Release

DOTA2 Released.

Planetside 2 Release 20-Nov-2012 PST

The long awaited and critically acclaimed PlanetSi...

Division Latest

TOG MindCrack - Mining, Machines, Mag...

TOG's MindCrack Minecraft server offers all that's...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Machines and magic in Minecraft - 'Fe...

Over the vacation period, a "Feed The Beast" Mod p...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31st January 2012, 09:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9015

Default Minecraft 1.1 is on our servers - please read

Both servers now have Bukkit for Minecraft 1.1 on them. With that comes a number of improvements, courtesy of Jens and Jon.

• Enchantments are more appropriate to your XP level
  • Bows can be enchanted
  • Firey arrows now burn those they hit.
  • Golden apples can be crafted and red apples sometimes fall from oak trees (on shearing)
  • Transitions between biomes and swamp colours have been improved
  • New land will have beaches and biomes will vary in altitude more.
  • Any taiga biomes will have snow and ice.
  • Sheep eat grass and grow back wool
  • Ladders and gates are easier to use
  • Gates can be opened and closed by redstone circuits
  • Melons and pumpkins also grow on dirt
  • Magma cubes give magma cream as spoils
  • Creative gamemode includes spawn eggs which will generate most mobs.
  • BUG: Note blocks don't work
  • BUG: Gates may close of their own accord
The main changes that people will notice will be the sheep growing their wool back and the snow. We can manually stop snow when it is falling but there is no setting to deactivate rain and snow permanently. It is part of the game, that we knew was coming. So you might find that your building site or mine will soon be covered in snow. I'm afraid that we will just have to live with that, like all changes in Minecraft.

The other major change is the introduction of spawn eggs in Creative gamemode. These allow players to create their own mobs, be it sheep, wolves or creepers. While monsters will despawn, the misuse eggs of these can still easily crash the server or ruin other players' game (and constructions). Because of that, a new rule is being added to the Division's Code of Conduct -
Quote:
Spawn eggs are not to be used to generate mobs

Spawn eggs cannot be used to generate mobs of any sort without the consent of administrators. Monster mobs especially are not welcome on Sanctuary and their generation may be treated as griefing.
As the rule indicates, this is *particularly* important on Sanctuary. If you think you have a valid reason to use a spawn egg, then run it by a moderator or administrator first. Otherwise, we may treat the spawning of any mobs as griefing.

Sorontar

Last edited by Sorontar; 31st January 2012 at 10:17 PM.
Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 31st January 2012, 11:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Team Fortress 2
Deadly - Post: 1326

Go into the language options and change the language to "Pirate Speak."

Manuzza
Manuzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2012, 05:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8254 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Another bug that I think is fixed that I have been annoyed by is that trees sometimes not grow but still remove their saplings resulting in a lot of saplings just disappearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorontar View Post
The other major change is the introduction of spawn eggs in Creative gamemode. These allow players to create their own mobs, be it sheep, wolves or creepers. While monsters will despawn, the misuse eggs of these can still easily crash the server or ruin other players' game (and constructions). Because of that, a new rule is being added to the Division's Code of Conduct -
As the rule indicates, this is *particularly* important on Sanctuary. If you think you have a valid reason to use a spawn egg, then run it by a moderator or administrator first. Otherwise, we may treat the spawning of any mobs as griefing.

Sorontar
Question: Is there anything you can get from mobs in creative game mode that you can't spawn yourself? In that case it might be warranted to spawn certain mobs? Like for example, I don't know, but is it possible to color wool in other colors than those available? If it isn't then spawning sheep and coloring them with your own color might be viable?

Or say that you want a cow or sheep farm, then you'd want to spawn a couple of cows or sheep (within reason of course).

I guess what I'm saying is that the rule perhaps should be changed to: No hostile mobs may be spawned, but neutral mobs may be spawned in reasonable numbers. Or something like that?
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2012, 09:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

It depends how you play the game. Creative mode gives you everything you can get from animals, including all colours of wool. The only exception is companions. At the moment, you can only tame wolves but soon there will also ocelots (or ozelots as the Swedes call them). But that doesn't mean that we will just let you spawn 10 wolves each.

Rather than try and write a rule that says "No mob spawning except under conditions A, B C and D", it was much easier to say "Spawn no mobs. See modmins if you think you have a valid exception". As to what is a non-excessive number of livestock, that we will have to learn.

As with all the rules and guidelines, if you wonder whether you can do something, ask. We might say yes

Sorontar

Last edited by Sorontar; 1st February 2012 at 09:17 AM.
Old 1st February 2012, 10:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8254 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Well it was just a general question, I don't play on that server anyway
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2012, 01:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 3996

Cheeky

The problem with letting people spawn "some" sheep or cows for their personal farms means that we could end up with an awful lot of "somes", causing server lag - in much the same way we've had to ask people not to go crazy breeding animals so that there aren't huge flocks lagging the server. What one person defines as a reasonable amount can be different from what someone else might, and then you have to times that by all players who use the server. There should be plenty of naturally occurring animals for people to make their own farms. If there really is a need to spawn them, then people are free to ask.

The only things for colouring wool that aren't available without using the creative mode's all block inventory, or without monsters on the server are bones (to make white/light colours), which you can't get because no skeletons spawn, and cocoa beans (to make brown) which you can find in chests but not enough to really be useful, and you can find brown sheep in game.... but since all wool colours are available, it's not really necessary to spawn a mob just for bones, as either way it's "cheating" if you take the opinion that you should be trying to make the colours without using creative mode.

If anyone did want to make coloured wool without using the creative mode, then they could ask if they could spawn some skeletons for the bones, and would likely be given permission. If you want to make infinite coloured wool, you need to just colour one sheep, or preferably 2, and either breed them to make more of that colour sheep, or now that they regrow, shear it.
Old 1st February 2012, 01:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
Final Fantasy XIV
Lethal - Post: 5498 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Lurking

Actually bones and bone meal are in creative mode i think.
Also i believe though will need to check but i think coco beans are also available.

Either way thanks for the clarification....so thats a no to a creeper farm...
DarkDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2012, 01:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Cheeky

Quote:
Actually bones and bone meal are in creative mode i think.
Also i believe though will need to check but i think coco beans are also available.
yes, bones, bonemeal and all the dyes are available in the creative mode inventory.

I mean available without having to go into creative mode.... All the other dye stuffs are from plants (cactus, flowers), squid or lapis... so you can find them in the normal base game without needing the creative mode inventory.... but cocoa beans still don't occur naturally in the game (only in mine/dungeon chests) and skeletons are the only place to get bones to make bonemeal (unless you can occasionally find them in chests?)

So either way, if you want to spawn an egg to make a skele for bones, you may as well just to give yourself some bones

Last edited by Obsi; 1st February 2012 at 01:39 PM.
Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2012, 01:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsi View Post
You can get bones in the creative mode inventory (not bonemeal, you have to click on a workbench to be able to process them into bonemeal).... I
Bonemeal is right near the end of the Creative inventory, just before the spawn eggs. Looks like a scrunched up piece of paper.

UPDATE: Lol, she editted her post before I replied

Sorontar

Old 1st February 2012, 01:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

Cheeky

Ninja'ed