TOG Latest

Chris Roberts Recognises the Star Cit...

The rising interest in Star Citizen in TOG has gai...

Warthunder heard throughout TOG

The sounds of Warthunder is being heard throughout TOG

Dota 2 Release

DOTA2 Released.

Planetside 2 Release 20-Nov-2012 PST

The long awaited and critically acclaimed PlanetSi...

Division Latest

TOG MindCrack - Mining, Machines, Mag...

TOG's MindCrack Minecraft server offers all that's...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Machines and magic in Minecraft - 'Fe...

Over the vacation period, a "Feed The Beast" Mod p...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 3rd February 2012, 08:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 3994

Cheeky
Exclamation Sanctuary is back (was: Sanctuary will be down tonight from 11pm ADST)

We'll take the server down tonight to copy it, paste in Bazz and my stuff then upload it again. This will be done as quickly as possible but will still take a couple of hours.

Old 3rd February 2012, 01:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
Final Fantasy XIV
Lethal - Post: 5496 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Lurking

What!!!!!!!!!

Np thanks for the heads up
DarkDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2012, 07:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9010

It took a little longer than a few hours. All is done now and Sanctuary is back up and running. I'll leave it to Obsi to explain why it took so long.

Duck, you can get to your place using /warp newduck. We decided on moving it to the SW unexplored chunk in the middle of the ocean. Deep's castle was shifted west to make her island slightly larger. Bazz and Obsi's place fitted in where they hoped it would along the eastern border (but in a little).

Enjoy.

Sorontar

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2012, 08:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

Cheeky

Quote:
It took a little longer than a few hours. All is done now and Sanctuary is back up and running. I'll leave it to Obsi to explain why it took so long.
ugh..... yes... I started at 11, and went to bed at about 3am with the server still uploading.

MCEdit works a bit like the game, but with much crappier controls/view... and without a minimap or anything to guide you... so I had to fly around and find everything, going by the tectonicus map... and saving the modified map took a long time, which delayed things.

Bazz and my place wasn't too problematic, pasted that in fine. The only issue being that MCEdit only shows a certain amount of the world at a time, and out combined place is the exact size of that. I judged the area I'd reserved well, but we have a bit of teraforming to smooth the edges. But then I had to save it and test it before doing anything else, and saving it takes AGES.

Then on to Deep and Duck's places.... which I had to find.... then I did the cut and paste thing, no dramas there (in both cases I deleted the chunks where the old buildings had been to clear the land there.) But then I saved it and loaded it in a home server again to test it worked, and Deep's place wasn't aligned properly... because I'd forgotten to tick the "align chunks" box... so basically her place was surrounded by a trench of world hole, where the chunks didn't meet....

Given how long it took to save the file, I figured maybe it would be quicker to manually repair it (as one side was only one block out, 2 sides a few blocks and one side fine)... but the sides were on water and it was taking too long, and I figured it was going to be quicker to just redo it ... so I did... then I tested it again, all good this time, and we had to upload it, which took an even longer time.
Old 4th February 2012, 08:57 AM   #5 (permalink)

Cheeky

ohh, and it seems a side effect of importing the stuff is a lighting bug - there are random shadowed areas, which you have to fix by placing a block on/next to a shadowed area, which should remove the shadow.... so you might have a lot of fixing to do I'm afraid
Old 4th February 2012, 11:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2752

Innocent

ahem.
SQUEEE!
I'm Home!!!

A huge thanks to Obsi and Sor for doing all the hard yards in getting this setup!
Old 4th February 2012, 01:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Division Captain
Minecraft
Elite - Post: 2653

Grumpy

Welcome back, folks!
Irimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2012, 04:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1248

Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsi View Post
ohh, and it seems a side effect of importing the stuff is a lighting bug - there are random shadowed areas, which you have to fix by placing a block on/next to a shadowed area, which should remove the shadow.... so you might have a lot of fixing to do I'm afraid
I see that everywhere,and I occasionally go and investigate the darkness only to be disappointed that it is just a light/shadow glitch.
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote