Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 8th February 2012, 10:46 AM   #21 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4012

Cheeky

heh

Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 9th February 2012, 07:34 AM   #22 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Guild Leader
Final Fantasy XIV
Lethal - Post: 5572 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Lurking

he is sooo insensative!!!

Hey Obsi send me a link I would love to check it out
DarkDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2012, 08:39 AM   #23 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 3916

Doh

Oops. I probably offended again with that video link. Sorry if that was the case.

The context I meant for it was along the lines that as a man we just do stuff that comes across the wrong way but we are clueless as to what we did. My wife had an issue with me a week or so back (can't remember now what it was about) but I found that video soon after and thought it was funny. It tickled my funny bone because even when what we did is pointed out it still doesn't really register.
Old 9th February 2012, 12:27 PM   #24 (permalink)

Cheeky

Quote:
The context I meant for it was along the lines that as a man we just do stuff that comes across the wrong way but we are clueless as to what we did.
It's ok, I knew that's what you meant

As I said, it's only the 3rd video I made.. I did the one of my place, then Bazz's place and then this.

I'm using play claw. I couldn't find anything free that worked well enough and it was a toss up between that and fraps, and a lot of reviews said playclaw was better than fraps (at not lagging your system), so I figured I'd give it a go.

I used windows movie maker to make it, and I've just found that I could change the aspect ratio from the default (4:3), to 16:9 - which seems to make it more widescreen, as I'd filmed it (I had wondered why the completed clip came out smaller than the raw video files were)... so I'm uploading it again in that format.

http://youtu.be/slt0vE6qB68

The music quality was lessened a bit when it was added with the video, I assume it got compressed... although it is supposed to be oddly screamy at the end, (I guess it's sort of "edgy"). I can't seem to get the sound better than that though. There's 20 different choices for how to save it.... none giving any sort of information about which is the best quality one to use other than if it's for dialup etc.... so I chose the "high quality (large)" option figuring that was probably the best one, and that's what it made. I tried 3 more times with different options and they created smaller files and all the same audio quality. The DV-AVI option says it would make a 532mb file (for a 2:20 min video), so I figure that's probably the best quality, but that's going to be a *very* large file.... I don't know how large youtube videos normally are, to know if that's too large or not, but that seems very big to me. The one I uploaded was 46mb - the newer one 64mb... so it's a MASSIVE jump...

I have the render distance set to far, it can't go any further than that (that I know of).... graphics to "fancy". I know stuff loads as it's going, but that's one of the disadvantages of flying around, as your view distance flying is a lot more than on the ground, and as you're in the centre of the view field, if you're looking infront of you, you only see half as much as the render distance really is.... I don't know how other people deal with it, maybe their machines are better than mine and load quicker so it's not as noticeable?... the only thing I can think of to make that less of a problem is filming in short scenes so I'm only filming one view distance at a time so nothing has to load, but that means you can't really move forward much or your view moves into the next lot of chunks to load.

Last edited by Obsi; 25th February 2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old 9th February 2012, 02:52 PM   #25 (permalink)

Doh

I hadn't heard of PlayClaw before. I've switched from Fraps to BandiCam for a variety of reasons. Just did a bit of research and this site says PlayClaw doesn't record the mic. I make tutorials for my clients on how to use the web sites I build so the mic is very important for me.

I've recently started doing a series of 'Let's Play' videos for other games and there are a couple of programs that make a world of difference:

1. BandiCam for me has been incredible. By far the best capturing software I've come across - not that this helps you at all.

2. Sizer is a free program that resizes windows to exact pixel dimensions. For MineCraft I set this to 1296x758 and then just record the inner part which is 1280x720 (HD size). Also use this for any other windowed game that doesn't have pre-set sizes.

3. SuperC is another free program for re-sampling videos. BandiCam can record compressed so I no longer need this. This might be worth looking at if your videos are too large for uploading. Usually videos that are around 500meg would be for around 30 minutes of footage if it has been optimised for internet - which makes uploading much easier.
This program can also be useful if your editor can't read the recorded format but generally this aspect isn't a problem if you are taking through an editor.

4. ZoomIt for Windows programs to zoom into the cursor (no good for MineCraft).

5. Sony Vegas Pro for the editing. With BandiCam I only use the editor if I need to edit the footage or add music etc. Sony Vegas isn't free but does a great job and can esily be set-up to render for YouTube or for DVD etc. Much easier to use than Premier Pro. I haven't used Windows Movie Maker so can't really compare.
Old 9th February 2012, 05:38 PM   #26 (permalink)

Cheeky

Quote:
Just did a bit of research and this site says PlayClaw doesn't record the mic. I make tutorials for my clients on how to use the web sites I build so the mic is very important for me.
Well that's weird, because it does.... there is an option to capture it with or without the mic, and you can choose the source (so you could pick a headset or webcam or something). Although I don't know if it does it *well*... I tried it once, and it was crackly.... but I don't know if I didn't have something set right... and I decided I sound absolutely hideous and stupid and didn't want to ever even contemplate adding my voice to anything, so I didn't bother looking into fixing it

I don't know if that guy means it doesn't capture the mic and the game sounds at the same time? As I was flying in minecraft there were no game sounds for it to capture when I did my one test... but since people use it for recording their gaming, and it's got teamspeak overlay built into it, I find it surprising if it didn't record the mic of the person taking the video too..

The other reason I picked it over fraps is because I tried both trial versions and made a recording of the same length and the fraps one was significantly larger file than playclaw's one, with no visible difference in the quality.

Old 9th February 2012, 06:47 PM   #27 (permalink)

Doh

That's good it will record the mic. I know what you mean about recording your own voice. It took me quite a while to get over that hurdle. In the end I just thought that if the viewer didn't like it they can stop watching. I did get one comment on YouTube that they were grossed out by my swallowing which has now scarred me for life.

Fraps is uncompressed (which is why SuperC is a good option there) but it sounds like PlayClaw does what BandiCam does and saves in compressed format already.
Old 9th February 2012, 09:13 PM   #28 (permalink)

Cheeky

Quote:
It took me quite a while to get over that hurdle.
Bah, you sound great - quite professional!

I'm a girl so I have that added self consciousness thing of knowing my voice isn't as feminine as I'd like, and I have a monotone. I did a drama course once and we had to record a pretend ad as part of it... lets just say it didn't go particularly well *sigh*

I can't remember the difference but it was almost half the size, so you're probably right.

Old 10th February 2012, 06:55 AM   #29 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Guild Leader
Final Fantasy XIV
Lethal - Post: 5572 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Lurking

Ignoring Splat cause he is an insensitive Splatwod!!! (hehehehe retribution will come I am sure)

Obsi that is fantastic, the music is suitible the panning, flight, action etc is great good pick on the monuments and locations.

I am a little annoyed nothing of min is in there /glare!!!!!!!! ROFL just teasing.

Obsi it is great, the "critics" before do make some points but tit is minor, what you have done is great, anything you do to improve it will make it fantastic.

btw who is Frostblade? there is TOG Community on Youtube and he is TOG|Frostblade and they are talking of their own servers etc

Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgZhz...ture=endscreen
(Yours is better Obsi)

Last edited by DarkDuck; 10th February 2012 at 07:00 AM.
DarkDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2012, 07:24 AM   #30 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 663

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDuck View Post
btw who is Frostblade? there is TOG Community on Youtube and he is TOG|Frostblade and they are talking of their own servers etc

Video
Minecraft | Custom Map | Tira The Lost Tales - YouTube
(Yours is better Obsi)
The Online Gamer going by the channel details. Not affiliated with us old farts by any stretch.

Additionally after watching it again, it really is quite good but a small thing that would improve V2... have the url displayed for a bit longer instead of having it included in the rolling credits. Sure it will likely be in the description but it cant hurt, plus you could add one of those links to the video? I dont know how to do that, never uploaded anything to youtube but i like how you can click a link on the video itself and get where you want to be.

Last edited by Coralon; 10th February 2012 at 07:30 AM.
Coralon is offline   Reply With Quote