Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 7th February 2012, 09:32 AM   #11 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 617

I also just prototyped a portcullis design in single player creative in preparation to adding it to my gatehouse (hence my need of slimeballs). Mine will be 5 wide with a 3 high lift/drop of the gate itself, with buttons on boths sides of the door driving a t-flop to change states.

It is based on the design shown in this youtube video:
Piston Gate (Portcullis) v3.0 Tutorial - YouTube

Before building my copy, I went through all of the timing diagrams to make sure that I knew what everything was doing. It's a fairly complex timing circuit, but seems to work well.

Old 7th February 2012, 01:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1250

Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralTriggerH View Post
I have some cool retractable bridges on Sanctuary
You can build a 1 wide birdge that when it is up will be level with the water, but when retracted will not appear at all. (only possible when the water is one metre deep),

As I mentioned below, I built a 2 block deep bridge doing this. I based it on what I learnt from the portcullis, and thought aaaah I can do more than one.

Last edited by MadMax; 7th February 2012 at 01:56 PM.
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2012, 01:54 PM   #13 (permalink)

Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorontar View Post
How large is your portcullis? One row of fence posts to drop and one row to rise when you want to open it?

Sorontar

The portcullis can be 10 rows high maximum, and it raises 2 blocks, and lowers 2 blocks, due to the 12 block limit a piston can push. It can be as wide as you like.

BREW: Interesting that you can do 3 block raise, I'd like to see that.
Timing would be tricky yes. It was tricky getting 2 block high, the repeater delays need to be set just right.
Old 7th February 2012, 04:10 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
BREW: Interesting that you can do 3 block raise, I'd like to see that.
Timing would be tricky yes. It was tricky getting 2 block high, the repeater delays need to be set just right.
Well, I'll let you know when it is up and running on Frontier, but the video I linked to shows how the original creator did it. The upper part is pretty easy since you only need to sequence the pushes, but the lower part has to sequence the pushes, and multiple pulses of the pulls as well. The final pull trigger has a delay of 10. Yes, the repeater timing can't be wrong.
Old 7th February 2012, 08:01 PM   #15 (permalink)

Amused

I checked out the video, it is quite compact. Should be easy to follow from that video.

There's no reason why you couldn't use this design for a 3 block deep water path as well, using the lower mechanism.
Old 7th February 2012, 11:38 PM   #16 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8335 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
I checked out the video, it is quite compact. Should be easy to follow from that video.

There's no reason why you couldn't use this design for a 3 block deep water path as well, using the lower mechanism.
I think you'll run into the problem that the water will start flowing where the bridge was though. With only 1 block deep bridge non-flowing water will be created when the bridge is retracted, not so with anything more than 1 block deep.
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2012, 05:52 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaedalusAlpha View Post
I think you'll run into the problem that the water will start flowing where the bridge was though. With only 1 block deep bridge non-flowing water will be created when the bridge is retracted, not so with anything more than 1 block deep.
Hmmm...if the timing were adjusted and slowed down on the retraction, the water may fill each layer as it goes down.