Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 5th February 2012, 09:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Architect
Minecraft
Competent - Post: 396

Default Construction tips/help

Has anyone had any experience with retractable bridges/drawbridges with sticky pistons? I have a small bridge to my place at the moment but it's recently been damaged by too close a call with a creeper.. Also, the wildlife seems to wising up to the fact that theres nothing stopping them crossing the bridge and damaging my property..
Any suggestions or links as to a suitable fix would be much appreciated..
Same gos for an XP farm, mob lift type thing. I have a zombie spawner right next to and under my place, them being the least dangerous I thought I'd contain and punch their lights out for some XP
Any good tutorials or vids out there?

Thanks,
Espesh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 5th February 2012, 10:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9116

I don't know how your bridge is designed but surely it can be set to a default "retracted" state. Then you could set up a button on either side and a redstone circuit with lots of repeaters. Every time your press the button, you have to wait a secs, then it will extend the pistons. After a few more secs, it will retract them. That is long enough for a person to run over the bridge, but a mob would never press the button.

Sorontar

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012, 05:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Guild Leader
Architect
Minecraft
Deadly - Post: 1666

Happy

there are a lot of good videos on you tube, I think under a search for xp farm etc.

Depending on where it is located most of the video show raising the mob ups firs then dropping them down. There is actually a zombie spawner under my palace. that design wouldn't have worked so I flipped it over. Still works perfectly fine. I drop the mobs down a pit then push them over to the side to a water elevator where they all start climbing and to a collection kill room. Its all nice and compact looking that way.
Old 6th February 2012, 06:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
RUST
Dangerous - Post: 783 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Amused

I have some cool retractable bridges on Sanctuary
You can build a 1 wide birdge that when it is up will be level with the water, but when retracted will not appear at all. (only possible when the water is one metre deep), or with some interesting trickery you can make it wider like I did for sanctuary, mine is 2 wide
Or you can build a bridge that has sides and the bottom retracts either side, I built one of these as well on Sanctuary but it wont keep spiders out as they will climb the sides.
AdmiralTriggerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012, 11:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1249

Amused

I built a retractable bridge from my floating island across to a mountain on frontier. The gap was about 10 blocks, and was up quite high, the fall will kill you.

I ended up building a tunnel across and made the 2 block wide floor of it retractable. The trickier part of the design was the ability to open or close it from either side.

Then I added a trap switch, so that when you flick the switch thinking it will add the bridge, it actually takes the blocks away you were standing on, and fall, but I added a water section underneath to fall into, and a way out through a cave.

Was fun and frustrating to get working, but pleased with the result, although it ended up bulkier than I had hoped.
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012, 11:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

So Max, what did you use as the switch? A pressure pad, button or lever? Was the setting permanent (ie. works like the on/off button on a tv remote) or temporary (ie. it will make the bridge, wait a sec or two, then retract it)?

There are actually two ways I can think of making bridges. Either the blocks move out horizontally form one or both sides of the gap, or you raise the floor from beneath. I imagine the first will require the bridge to be lower than the path approaching it (so you don't have visible pistons etc). The second style could be hidden below water/lava. Both could try and use multiple pistons.

If you don't understand me, say so and I'll try to draw a diagram.

Sorontar

Old 6th February 2012, 11:38 AM   #7 (permalink)

Amused

I used levers, and the result is a permanent state. Open and close from either end. I used a NAND gate mechanism I think it was.

Getting across 8 to 10 blocks on a timed retraction would have required a very long wait, and to the unsuspecting would have killed them.

Last edited by MadMax; 6th February 2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old 6th February 2012, 03:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Architect
Minecraft
Competent - Post: 396

Thanks guys for the tips.
I completed the basics of the XP farm, just an elevator from the spawner and a long drop into a safe container where I can punch from a distance. Takes one or two hits to kill them so I might try fine-tune it down to one.
The bridge is another matter, currently gathering the rescources needed, deffinitely like the sound of your bridge/tunnel/trap thing MadMax, might have to come check it out in-game too if thats allright and we're not busy sometime..
Thanks all for your input, alot of vids I found and thought were great turned out to be mods so no help at all..
I'll have a muck around and try a couple different designs and settle on what suits best.
Espesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012, 10:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

Amused

And just for "fun" in singleplayer I built a castle portcullis(wooden fencing gate) going up and down, and a moat which is 2 blocks of water deep that has a switch to activate a path that comes up from the water.

espesh, i am happy to try and show you, however a lot of it is hidden, and hard to get at, but see what i can do!
Old 6th February 2012, 10:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

How large is your portcullis? One row of fence posts to drop and one row to rise when you want to open it?

Sorontar