Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 8th February 2012, 02:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4009

Cheeky

Well, yes... people do it all the time, but that doesn't mean it's not breaking copyright.... and while individual people are free to do what they want (as they accept the consequences of their actions), if we're going to do it as a division thing, we have to make sure whatever we do can't land us or TOG in trouble. Also TOG does state that it does not condone any actions that would break a game's EULA, or discussion/promotion of illegal activity. So yes, it's a general thing and a TOG thing.

Essentially everything someone creates (writing, art, photography, music etc.) is copyrighted to them (automatically), and if someone else uses/copies/reproduces that without their permission, it's a breech of copyright.

There are exceptions to this... anything designated "creative commons" is basically saying that it's ok to copy/use/reproduce (eg wikipedia content, free web graphics and so on)... and there is a provision in copyright law for "fair use" - which isn't actually defined, but basically says that certain uses, for things like review, parody, commentary etc. may be allowed. So that people like movie reviewers can show clips of a movie while talking about it, schools can reproduce passages from books for students to discuss etc.

So technically speaking, the opening sequence (disregarding the sound for a moment) of Halflife is valve's intellectual property. The character names, the facility name, the look and layout of the facility. The same as for the plot of a movie or book. So reproducing that, even without sound, even if it was made in minecraft by us, could be a breech of copyright - because we are reproducing enough of that game that it is recognisable as a copy of it. Adding sound taken from the game is yet another breech.

Realistically speaking.... would Valve be likely to a). find it? b). really care? c). prosecute?... extremely unlikely.... but rules are rules, and I don't think we as a division can do anything that would be a breech of copyright.

Quote:
Is this something that is allowed under parody?
Depends on how it is done.... if it's done in a funny way at all, - like for example if Barney was a creeper or something... then yes, it could probably be considered parody rather than copying, and then it would be ok. But if it's basically just half life reproduced in minecraft, then it's a reproduction, not a parody.

Last edited by Obsi; 8th February 2012 at 02:03 PM.
Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 8th February 2012, 03:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9127

Personally, I don't think that a Minecraft representation of any other video game is in much danger of breaching TOG or other regulations, provided it doesn't try and be the equivalent of the video game. I think most people would regard it as being "fan-artwork". No monetary gain is obtained from making it, so there is no direct commercial interest.

The use of any direct artwork or sounds from a game, however, would be to the contrary of most expectations. Unless there is an explicit permission given for fans to use the sound files or similar recordings, or it is a recognisable "fair use" (e.g. a review or an approved "let's play" video), would likely to be pushing the boundary too far. For personal use it would be fine, but not for TOG. To quote the bottom of the webpages

Quote:
Pixella Pty Ltd as trustee for Pixella Trust as The Older Gamers ABN: 69 356 379 226
TOG is a legal entity and must cover its back. Part of that is members (and DCs) following its rules and I think the use of sounds without consent would be breaking those rules.

Note that there is music out there that can be used. The music Obsi used for her latest video was free for use. Also, we can simulate game sounds ourselves.

Sorontar

ps. As long as they aren't sold, Mojang doesn't mind us videoing and using Minecraft stuff. Notch has recognised that YouTube has played a huge role in the game's popularity.

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2012, 08:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4009

Cheeky

Quote:
No monetary gain is obtained from making it, so there is no direct commercial interest.
That has no bearing in copyright. It doesn't matter if your copying/reproducing/derivative work etc. is for commercial gain or not.

If you as DC say it's ok to do it, then it's on your head :P I'm just pointing out the copyright issue...

Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2012, 08:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsi View Post
That has no bearing in copyright. It doesn't matter if your copying/reproducing/derivative work etc. is for commercial gain or not.

If you as DC say it's ok to do it, then it's on your head :P I'm just pointing out the copyright issue...
No, but it might matter to the legal department as to whether it is worth them chasing. Look at all the patent breach claims that suddenly appear now that YouTube is being listed on the stockmarket.

I wouldn't use the sounds, but as an individual, I would say that imitating part of a game/world/movie is okay as long as we don't try to sell it. As DC, I don't say anything yet.

Sorontar

Last edited by Sorontar; 8th February 2012 at 10:03 PM.
Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2012, 10:03 PM   #15 (permalink)
Average - Post: 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irimar View Post
Or the Simpsons...
Has also been done already