Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13th February 2012, 10:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coralon View Post
Of course the upside is having native HD texture support, better looking water, grass and random mobs for texture packs that support it.
Jens will eventually be working on better HD support. It is part of his backbone improvements that are planned. But what do you man by "random mobs"? It randomly improves mobs? It generates random mobs? It mobs better looking players randomly?

Sorontar

Sorontar is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 13th February 2012, 11:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 671

Yeehaw

The mobs have random skins (from a limited number of predetermined choices) so you get skeletons that may have some old rusty armour, different coloured spiders and some really funky looking zombies. I think there are even a few texture packs with green and brown creepers.

The monsters act no differently or have any different game characteristics than normal ones, just adds that little bit of extra flare to the game
Old 14th February 2012, 12:06 AM   #13 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8333 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorontar View Post
From memory, we have started a mod-specific thread before but it didn't take. A few mods have been mentioned but not many and they are sometimes server mods, e.g , e.g.Kingdom Mod. If you want to talk about the client mods you have used elsewhere, go right ahead. But until there is a demand, I don't think it warrants an entire subforum. Also the problem is that Mods are not always well maintained.
The reason I suggested a new sub forum was in part what you describe here, it's something that will be posted to little, but probably accessed much, at least for new members. If it's a thread it will just end up at the bottom and forgotten. A sub-forum though would be easily found, especially for new players.

And the reason I don't suggest a sticky is that I think it will be too much stuff in a single sticky. I'd rather have the sub-forum and then a sticky about mod loader, a sticky about how to use texture packs (HD installation and such), a sticky about server mods and a sticky about the TOG allowed mods and how to install them (not necessarily in a zip if distribution is a problem). And then a lot of player threads about their respective texture pack they want to promote.

Mods is such a large part of Minecraft (although I myself hardly use them ) I think it's worth a sub forum.
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2012, 08:58 AM   #14 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9205

I understand you Daedalus. I'll have a think about it. I didn't think there would be a need for the posts as references, simply because I have enough issues with the server mods I look at commonly being out-of-date and not maintained. That is why we are on about our third or fourth alternate of every Bukkit plugin (and why you guys have to suffer with commands changing occasionally).

Texture packs and skins though I can see as being maintained well enough, though each update from Mojang will throw the textures as they add new stuff.

I also didn't think there were issues with installing them. I thought that was what things like ModLoader were for.

Any way, I'll get back to you on this. Let me mull it over.

Sorontar

Sorontar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2012, 10:11 AM   #15 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8333 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorontar View Post
I also didn't think there were issues with installing them. I thought that was what things like ModLoader were for.
Yeah, but if no one tells you there is a ModLoader tool, it's not that easy all of a sudden

I think a sub-forum like that could be a valuable information tool for new players that want to mod their client. The first time I were to mod my client I didn't know about ModLoader and things quickly became complicated.

(Just occurred to me that we could have non-allowed mods showcased there as well if we think they are cool enough, instead of posting about them on the main forum.)
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2012, 10:58 AM   #16 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4025

Cheeky

I'm not sure a mod sub-forum is good or not... if we show non-approved mods, then that could confuse people (figuring if we talk about it, surely its allowed), most of the mod downloads include a readme or there is help on the website telling you how to install them.

I understand that modding is a large part of minecraft, but there are entire forums dedicated to it...

Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2012, 12:58 PM   #17 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 671

Yeehaw

Hmmm, I used to be a modder so maybe I have more then a passing interest in things like what mods are installed on the server, what other potential things may be out there that can improve things etc. Mods like lockett (spelling?) and what not that may bear merit through non public discussion etc.

Personally I dont think it would confuse people overly, currently besides this thread the allowed mods list is buried within other information which in itself can be confusing especially if unlike me you werent new to MC and were already playing with a dozen seemingly inocent client mods installed.
Old 14th February 2012, 01:25 PM   #18 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1250

Amused

I generally can't be stuffed with mods, purely because MC was changing so often, and I could not be bothered trying to locate and install and fix them between updates.

I used the water shaders, but once the MC version changed I no longer used it. Now that it is more stable , (it is right?) I might redo the water shaders.
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2012, 05:06 PM   #19 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4025

Cheeky

Quote:
Personally I dont think it would confuse people overly, currently besides this thread the allowed mods list is buried within other information which in itself can be confusing especially if unlike me you werent new to MC and were already playing with a dozen seemingly inocent client mods installed.
I guess that is a point

Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote