Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13th February 2012, 03:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9128

Default Client mods are restricted on our servers

This post is to remind players that TOG tries to keep all players on a level playing field. Because of that, we have restricted which client mods are allowed to be used when playing on our servers.

To quote the TOG Minecraft Server Code of Conduct
Quote:
No unauthorised mods or hacks

Players may use texture packs to enhance the visual look of the game, but any mod or hack that changes the gameplay must be approved for use by the Admins before it is allowed to be used. Similarly, as per the TOG-wide Code of Conduct, you must not cheat, exploit game 'bugs' or utilise any other methods which will alter the standard gameplay and/or provide an unfair advantage to you or any other player.

Currently only these client mods are allowed to be used on our servers:
Water Shader Mod
Zan Minimap (no longer maintained)
Rei's Minimap
Improved Chat

To quote the TOG-wide rules (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/tog-policies-manuals-guidelines/152268-code-conduct.html):
Quote:
You will not cheat, exploit game 'bugs' or utilise any other methods which, when employed by you, will provide an unfair advantage to you or any other player.
If you want to suggest a client mod to be added to the list, say so on the forum. That was how the minimaps got added after discussions within the division.

If any player is found to consistently use additional client mods that are seen to give them an advantage in combat, mining, construction or other common activities, then they will be placed under investigation.

Remember, play fair.

Sorontar

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 13th February 2012, 06:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 609

Tired

Thanks for the reminder. I've been playing with some mods in single player and have disabled them (forced an update) for online play. It's too hard, well not hard, but I can't be bothered swapping .jar's for different servers so I'll stick with vanilla and maybe rai's minimap.

One thing that sometimes happens to me is my game will lag and lock up and if I'm in mid air when this happens, when it unlocks I see a message that I've been kicked for flying. I understand that flying is not enabled on Frontier and I actually prefer that (I like survival mode better than creative) and I've tried reinstalling Java (64bit this time because of my machine) and done a clean install of Minecraft but it still happens from time to time, especially if there are a lot of dropped items near me.

This doesn't happen on my PC at home, mainly on this laptop which could do with a format and reinstall of Windows, it's been 2 years now. Being my work laptop though it's a bigger deal to do than my personal pc. Yes, I from time to time get to play MC at work... I know, horrible isn't it...
Old 13th February 2012, 08:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8306 TOG Silver Level Supporter

I've been thinking about us maybe setting up a sub forum about game mods and texture packs. Wouldn't that be useful?

There we could have a zip file with our approved standard TOG mods, and we can also have posts explaining how modding of the client (and server for those interested) works.

It will simplify for a lot of people if they don't have to look all over the place for help about this, and it also makes it easier to direct people asking about it.

I imagine most of it would be taken up by peoples different texture packs though.
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2012, 08:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Guild Leader
Final Fantasy XIV
Lethal - Post: 5548 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Lurking

so your saying that mod that allows me to ninja all your loot is not allowed, oh wells.....back to spawning creepers

hehehe thanks for the heads up Sor, hell it took me long enough to get Rei's working I couldn't be bothered with other mods.
DarkDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2012, 09:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Architect
Minecraft
Competent - Post: 396

Thanks Sor.

I'm in the same boat as duck, Rei's took alot of mucking about to finally get it working I too couldn't be stuffed with anything else..

I like DA's idea about a sub-forum, would be interesting to see what people play with. After the last update I'm even back to the default texture pack mostly because I couldn't decide on anything, must admit I'm getting abit bored of it. I know texture pack install is fairly simple, just had nothing jump out at me yet to warrant a download.. I'm always interested in not just the creations but the look of peoples games in the miner's forum, also if we're still going to do the big community project it would be handy to compare and share different looks for that.
Espesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2012, 09:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaedalusAlpha View Post
I've been thinking about us maybe setting up a sub forum about game mods and texture packs. Wouldn't that be useful?
From memory, we have started a mod-specific thread before but it didn't take. A few mods have been mentioned but not many and they are sometimes server mods, e.g , e.g.Kingdom Mod. If you want to talk about the client mods you have used elsewhere, go right ahead. But until there is a demand, I don't think it warrants an entire subforum. Also the problem is that Mods are not always well maintained.

As for supplying the mods, that would possibly be illegal since some mods are technically illegal since they modify Mojang's code. The fact that Mojang looks the other way would not help us. TOG has its own reputation and policies to maintain. That is why we supply the links and leave it to players to decide whether you want to use the mods. There is no expectation in the Division for people to use them. I don't. My client is nothing but vanilla.

Sorontar

Old 13th February 2012, 09:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 663

I use Rei's map, works a treat and helps me not get lost while exploring as the surface view gives a good indication of your location. The water shader mod is pretty as hell but damn it flogs your system and I eventually took it off.

Optifine (now that I have gone back to the standard version) is awesome when combined with a 256x texture pack, I am currently sporting LBPhoto Realism and with the added optifine water settings the game looks great.

Still havent tried the imrpoved chat, just really seems like I dont have a need for it. As for other mods, meh. I can see the possible use in single player but if anything I would ask the server be changed to hard difficulty, especially with smarter/tougher monsters in up coming patches
Old 13th February 2012, 10:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coralon View Post
Optifine (now that I have gone back to the standard version) is awesome when combined with a 256x texture pack, I am currently sporting LBPhoto Realism and with the added optifine water settings the game looks great.
What does optifine do? Just manage the video better? Or is it for memory management? Or something else as well?

Quote:
if anything I would ask the server be changed to hard difficulty, especially with smarter/tougher monsters in up coming patches
Sorry but we we tried all the difficulty levels and polled before we started Frontier. You are a little late for that.

Sorontar

Last edited by Sorontar; 13th February 2012 at 10:41 PM.
Old 13th February 2012, 10:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 663

lol, well it was worth chucking the difficulty thing out there

Optifine gives a lot more ingame video options and greatly increases the performance of the game. Of course the upside is having native HD texture support, better looking water, grass and random mobs for texture packs that support it. Quite simply I do not see why it has not been integrated into the standard client, the improvments to the game even without texture packs is well worth it.
Old 13th February 2012, 10:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Division Captain
Minecraft
Elite - Post: 2824

Grumpy

Akira Doe, try this:

Minecraft Profile Manager - Minecraft Forum

I find it really useful.
Irimar is offline   Reply With Quote