Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 1st March 2012, 02:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 609

Tired
Default Grass in the Nether

A few days ago when I got back from being AFK I noticed in the chat log that some people were talking about growing grass in the Nether and if it was possible. I think they even mentioned asking an admin to spawn a grass block to try it out. I'm not sure what happened since then and forgot about this until just now.

Since I've been playing around with enchanting I got Silk Touch on one of my pickaxes and was mining some Stone (rather than Cobblestone) I wasn't really paying attention and mined some grass blocks and it let me keep the grass block in my Inventory.

As soon as I saw this I remembered the conversation and went to the nether and placed the block. Sure enough it works. I put some bare dirt next to it and it even grew across covering all the dirt blocks,

So yes it's possible and if anyone is interested I can help supply the grass blocks while this pickaxe is still usable, just let me know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grass.jpg (112.5 KB, 71 views)

Old 1st March 2012, 03:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9122

lol, lawn edging around the shrubbery?

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2012, 03:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 609

Tired

Bonemeal will also work to grow the grass and flowers over the grass blocks,

I always wanted a glass dome and a modest house with fence and garden in the nether, you know because I've never seen it before but I never knew I might actually be able to do it...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bonemeal.jpg (117.9 KB, 76 views)
Old 17th March 2012, 08:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 271

Doubtful

As a side note, trees will also grow in the nether as long as they're planted on soil brought in from the overworld. I don't remember what colour the leaves were, but I think they were a brownish sickly colour.
Maorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2012, 11:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4009

Cheeky

yup - I always plant trees around in the nether if I'm working in there, so I don't have to worry about bringing extra wood with me. (and with all the mushrooms about, wood allows you to make mushroom soup)

Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2012, 08:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira Doe View Post
Bonemeal will also work to grow the grass and flowers over the grass blocks,

I always wanted a glass dome and a modest house with fence and garden in the nether, you know because I've never seen it before but I never knew I might actually be able to do it...
Thank you very much for this great suggestion. I also want to make a garden with a fence, I'm not sure if I can do it but planting some flowers by a ? could be the first step to this goal. Sometimes I just don't know where to start with all of that!

Last edited by Ninja Gizmosis; 11th June 2012 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Removal of Spam
jbanzon is offline   Reply With Quote