Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11th March 2012, 10:51 PM   #21 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4012

Cheeky

I agree for a static picture like that, the water reflections look awesome, but in a video, when there would be a lot of reflections from the dark underside of the floating islands, I think it's going to be too "busy" and detract from the look

-- but since only the person filming needs to have it on (not everyone working on it), and it only really needs to be on for a final video of the finished thing, then we can build it, then film it once with it on and once with it off and see which looks better, and use that

Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11th March 2012, 11:33 PM   #22 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9172

But for the construction pics we will have to decide what mods and textures we want to use before. We can only fiddle with options for a flyover picture after the construction.

Do people want to
  • start with a blank world and build any islands and peaks etc?
  • start with a generated world and demolish enough to get islands?
  • try to use VoxelSniper or WorldEdit to construct what we want?
  • build the basic terrain *before* the community work starts?
The last point I ask because I don't see it much of a community job if we use tools. About VoxelSniper or WorldEdit, I don't know how many have had experience with those mods or whether they are available on the server (if we are indeed using your server Max?).

Sorontar

Last edited by Sorontar; 12th March 2012 at 12:33 AM. Reason: for-> to
Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 12:12 AM   #23 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8320 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsi View Post
I agree for a static picture like that, the water reflections look awesome, but in a video, when there would be a lot of reflections from the dark underside of the floating islands, I think it's going to be too "busy" and detract from the look

-- but since only the person filming needs to have it on (not everyone working on it), and it only really needs to be on for a final video of the finished thing, then we can build it, then film it once with it on and once with it off and see which looks better, and use that
That's assuming the islands will float over water, which I don't think anyone has said so far?
I agree it looks weird with stuff floating over water, it's possible the water mod doesn't handle that very well, but if there are for example small lakes or ponds on the floating islands that would probably look quite good with the reflection mod.
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 11:14 AM   #24 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorontar View Post
About VoxelSniper or WorldEdit, I don't know how many have had experience with those mods or whether they are available on the server (if we are indeed using your server Max?).
Oops, I was talking about HenriDeacon's server, not Max's (if he has one). Sorry about that Max!

Anyway, Henri, were you implying from your earlier message (Timelapse Build - the initial design) that we can use your 1.2 server for the planning or for the entire project? I don't mind either way, but from the logistics side I would like to know.

Sorontar

Old 12th March 2012, 11:23 AM   #25 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazz View Post
So for overall look (and this is very very rough):

I didn't see this before, but yep that was the sort of thing I was thinking about. I would give more island depth to what is floating, and not everything needs to be on the flat. Some buildings can hang over the edge of the islands or be on a lower or higher part of the island. I think the deepest islands need to be the mining one and the main industry one.

Perhaps there could be a progression on the main island from lots of industry to ports and shops with some housing. From there can be the bridges etc to the nicer part of town (perhaps on another island). Skyrail can go above lots of this (but not sure about the nice end of town).

Sorontar

Old 12th March 2012, 07:00 PM   #26 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5113

Amused

Quote:
Anyway, Henri, were you implying from your earlier message (Timelapse Build - the initial design) that we can use your 1.2 server for the planning or for the entire project? I don't mind either way, but from the logistics side I would like to know.

Sorontar
The server is hosted by Hypernia with 2.5gig of ram, and is paid up to April 3, but will likely go down after that. At least it gives us somewhere to plan out scale and some rough shapes. If the project can be completed in three weeks or so then perfect to use. You can also download the map from the admin panel at any time and has space for 5 full backups. Depending on what beginning terrain we decide on, i'll reset the map (superflat etc).

So yes offering the server for either planning, or the full project. In any case the map files will be available if the project goes longer.

I will PM you and Obsi the details so you can check if it is suitable. Feel free to mess around with the settings and we can password / whitelist it.

No problem if it's not what we are looking for...

Last edited by HenriDeacon; 12th March 2012 at 07:53 PM.
HenriDeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 10:55 AM   #27 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

I know various suggestions have been made but to help people, how about we break it down. Any suggestions what elements you would like to see in:
  • factories?
  • streetscapes?
  • homes?
  • automation and mechanisms?
  • transport?
  • lighting?
  • the sky?
  • the water?
  • gardens?
  • sewers?
  • any monsters or animals?
  • anything else?
Sorontar

Old 14th March 2012, 11:08 AM   #28 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 68

Quote:
Do people want to
  • start with a blank world and build any islands and peaks etc?
  • start with a generated world and demolish enough to get islands?
  • try to use VoxelSniper or WorldEdit to construct what we want?
  • build the basic terrain *before* the community work starts?
Carving out/building up islands is going to take AGES without tools. I'd suggest once we get a final design, use VoxelSniper/WorldEdit to create huge floating blocks of smooth stone that are roughly the size of the island(s), in roughly the position we want. Once that's good to go, we disable all tools and start the timelapse from there.
One or more people could be responsible for carving the edges and undersides of the blocks to be the island shapes we're after. In the meantime, construction could be taking place on the flat surface of the islands.
Samah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 12:59 PM   #29 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4012

Cheeky

I think if we can use the server HenriDeacon has to plan, we can just go in there and mess about with buildings, so we have an idea of what we could build. I don't think we're going to manage to get it organised and built in time, but we can try.

I think we need to start the planning in stages, so we're not trying to deal with one big thing that's going to take too long to decide on... Break it into bits and get the bits all decided upon, rather than trying to decide on the whole mountain.

So if we can get the basics decided on first, we can progress from there.

Or would people prefer if we got a "committee" organise with a couple of people, who make all the basic decisions and then everyone else just comes in and builds to the theme already planned? - but with the ability to design their own buildings within that theme. (if so, who would be on the committee?)

So....

We've decided it's a floating city with industrial/steampunk type construction.. We need opinions on:

• How many islands and of what size? - Do you want to see 1 large island?, 3 large islands with a couple of smaller ones? 1 large central island with smaller ones around it? - what sort of look do you have in mind?

I'd like to see one large island in the centre with maybe half sized (but can be varying size) islands around it, at different heights for status... maybe the occasional tiny island that has like a tree on it...

• Island/s floating above what? - Water? land? nothing? How high up above this do you think they should be? (just floating a small way above or high enough that you can clearly see the under side of the islands) Is the island itself more important than what is below it, or is it an extension of the world below?

If you build a world from scratch, is there just vacant space below, or is there a bedrock level? I think it should either be floating above absolute nothingness, or well above water (just so that the islands themselves are the focal point and not any irrelevant land below) - I also think we should, for speed, create the islands in voxel and then build as our time lapse.

• What goes on these islands? (in a basic sense - detail can come later) Do we want just large industrial buildings on it? Do we want houses and shops and churches and other buildings you'd find in a town/city? If we have multiple islands, do we want them to reflect a part of the overall world? - like having them designated higher or lower status by the style of buildings and the level of the island in the space....

I've already given my idea of one central industrial zone, with additional islands around it with housing and other town buildings, parks and so on, in different heights.

• Islands connected or floating separate? Will they connect at all? with bridges? (foot bridges or railway bridges?) will some islands connect and some not?

I think it depends on how far away the islands are, but I like the idea of the smaller islands having some connections but not too many (or you lose the sense of islands, and the centre one being unconnected

• Is all the building done on the top side of the islands? Will some buildings be on the edges and almost drip down over the sides? Will there be anything built on the underneath of the islands? will all building be done on the top surface? or a combination?

I think most construction should be on the top surface, but I do like the idea of having the slums built under the main industrial part like a stalactite... I think some buildings going over the edge could look cool too.

• How do the islands float? - they just float on their own? they have propellers under them? Are they suspended by large balloons? (so they are almost like gigantic airships) or something else?

I think just plain floating would be good, I don't like the ones that I've seen that use propellers (since they don't look realistic in my view, you see this jumble of blocks and then realise it's supposed to be a propeller). If they were going to be suspended by balloons then there would need to be quite a distance between each one to allow space for the balloon parts (as they would need to be a reasonable distance from eachother)

• How can we bring Steampunk into it? - Airships are a commonly associated with steampunk, so since the city is in the air, that's pretty much a given... but what else?

If the scale of the buildings is large enough, we might be able to get some cog-like machinery made.... things like the lava and water tubes Bazz has in his Sanctuary Airship factory look good. If we go with Glimmar's texture pack, a lot of the paintings are cogs and machinery, which will help to give it the right feel that we can't do with blocks.

• texture pack -The Glimar's steampunk pack has been suggested, does anyone have any alternative suggestions? This is a big decision as it shapes the look of the build really...

Last edited by Obsi; 14th March 2012 at 01:11 PM.
Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 07:34 PM   #30 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5113

Amused

The server is down for some reason and the admin page is not showing up. I'll need to chase up what's going on with Hypernia.