Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19th March 2012, 11:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4009

Cheeky
Exclamation Steampunk Timelapse build

Irimar has offered us the temporary use of his server to do some practice in working on the timelapse build (Thank you very much!)

So we'd like to get some people on, so we can design out some buildings and things, to help get an idea of what sort of design elements we will be using, and so we can help make up some base designs that we can all use, to help keep the entire build looking like it all belongs in the same place.

I've made the executive decision here, we will be using Glimmar's Steampunk texture pack. You will need to download the latest version of it AND MC patcher. Because it changes the look drastically of some of the blocks, you really will need to have it, so you can see what look these buildings will have.

Find the texture pack here - Glimmar's Steampunk v3.7.1[32X][1.2] Animated Cogs & Alchemy at Work in a Dark Victorian Industrial World - Iron Golem Pics! pg. 402 - Minecraft Forum (just download the zip and save it into your "texturepacks" folder in your minecraft folder). And that page has the link to the patcher, which you need to run (or else the textures don't all display properly)

This server will be whitelisted, so if everyone who wants to be involved can please send me a PM with their gamename (case sensitive), and I will compile it into a list for the whitelist and I'll PM everyone back the server details so you know where to login.

(Even if you just want to come in and help or to offer opinions, feel free, you don't have to feel there is any pressure to build magnificent things to join in)

It would also be good if we can all arrange to meet there on a certain night, so we can all chat in mumble (or in game) while we play about with design.

So far we have these people interested (and I'll update this list as I get more):

AdmiralTriggerH
Aveege
dodfisk/Maorin
espesh
HenriDeacon
Hoathinator/Hoathy
MadMaxFor
MadMaxToo
minerduck/DarkDuck
Misnik
Obsi
raeka /DeeP
Ropher/Rhof
Samah
Skoville/Bazz
Sorontar
T0UR0K

Last edited by Obsi; 20th June 2012 at 03:00 PM.
Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 19th March 2012, 11:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9113

Note that Texture pack is for use with MC 1.2, which is what I imagine the server will be (even if the TOG servers haven't updated quite yet).

Sorontar

Sorontar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2012, 03:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Division Captain
Minecraft
Elite - Post: 2803

Grumpy

The server is, in fact, 1.2. WorldEdit is installed. I would highly recommend [1.2] WorldEditCUI - WorldEdit Client User Interface [v1.2] - Minecraft Forum, but you can get by without it. I find it quite convenient.
Irimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2012, 04:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4009

Cheeky

ok, that's ok - we can practice with the new world height too then.

So we'll all have to update our clients to use it...

There is a program to do that (which I don't know about, but I'm sure someone will reply to say what it is)..... but what I personally do is just rename my minecraft.jar to "minecraft_1.1.jar" (and I also zip it so I have 2 backups in case I make a mistake), then let the game update.... then when I want to go back to 1.1, I just rename the current minecraft.jar to "minecraft_1.2.jar" and rename the "minecraft_1.1.jar" back to just "minecraft.jar"

Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2012, 05:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
RUST
Dangerous - Post: 783

Amused

Well Obsi I would like to be in this too (too lazy to PM as I'm also replying regarding other stuff)

You can setup a separate minecraft install with the use of a bat script, that way you just open that file and it runs the different version.
I'll post a howto when I get home if someone doesn't beat me to it
AdmiralTriggerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2012, 06:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
RUST

Amused

Well, I'm not home yet but thanks to an iPad I'm able to post on the train, so here is a how to to have more than one minecraft version on the one computer (also allows for different mods etc)

First go to where ever you want your new minecraft install to live and Create the following directories:

minecraft
minecraft\bin
minecraft\data

Copy Minecraft.exe to minecraft\bin (this is the file you download from minecraft's website)
Copy your .minecraft directory to minecraft\data

Your .minecraft directory contains these words, and is located in your user profile (c:\Users\yourlogin\AppData\Roaming\ under Vista, or C:\Documents and Settings\yourlogin\Application Data\ under Windows XP). And you have to have played minecraft at least once for it to be there

Then create minecraft.bat file(you can call it anything just don't leave of the .bat), containing the following instructions:

set APPDATA=%CD%\data
bin\minecraft.exe

In order to create a bat file you can just create a text file with notepad and then add the text above and then change the file extension from .txt to .bat

Then, simply double-click minecraft.bat to play the game!

Note:
Altering the APPDATA environment variable does not touch the system APPDATA. This change will only affect programmes launched from the bat file. It will not change your system settings.

If you are on a Mac I'' still figuring out how to do it, I know it can be done just haven't figured it out, otherwise you could create a seperate user account and just switch users (fairly quick to do, just can't do other stuff from the other user at the same time)
Old 19th March 2012, 06:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
RUST

Amused

I would love to also have some of the red power mods installed if that would be possible.
This allows for some crazy hidden wiring, vertical wiring and long distance wiring etc.
So with some of the crazy contraptions you guys will want made to work this would help, unless you want to remain as vanilla as possible
Old 20th March 2012, 12:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
Division Captain
Minecraft
Elite - Post: 2803

Grumpy

I use Minecraft Profile Manager - Minecraft Forum to keep my multiple installs straight. No copying jar files, no risk of accidentally deleting the wrong thing.
Irimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2012, 02:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 271

Doubtful

Great find, Irimar.

I was trying to switch back and forth with a batch file, but this looks a lot easier.
Maorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2012, 06:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 271

Doubtful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsi View Post
Irimar has offered us the temporary use of his server to do some practice in working on the timelapse build (Thank you very much!)

It would also be good if we can all arrange to meet there on a certain night, so we can all chat in mumble (or in game) while we play about with design.
I had suggested this coming Saturday as a possibility, haven't heard if that was accepted or not. The majority of players are Australian, so the time is about 17-20 hours ahead of NA. What would be a good time for both time zones to chat?
Maorin is offline   Reply With Quote