Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28th March 2012, 08:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9123

Default 0x10^c - Notch's space game

As I mentioned here (What should Notch do next?) Notch is working on a space game. Apparently he wants players to have to manage the crew and operations of the spacecraft as it journeys. Some people have viewed it as looking at space flight as a hands-on deal. The Firefly side to travel, rather than the Star Trek one.

As part of that game, he has been developing a cpu within the game, such that players will be able to program the cpu. He was originally going to write a cpu that would mimic that of the 6502 cpu, but that proved too hard. He has designed his own instead and put the basic machine code command details and specs up on his blog - START_CLASSIFIED_TRANSMISSION : The Word of Notch.

So, anyone want to write a program to recalibrate the warp drive by rerouting the proton generator via the tachyon stabilizer? Where's Wesley when you need him?

Sorontar

Sorontar is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 28th March 2012, 10:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Division Captain
Minecraft
Elite - Post: 2821

Grumpy

Re-writing the 6502 may have been too hard, but it looks like he's modeled the assembler opcodes on the 6502's syntax.

Last edited by Irimar; 28th March 2012 at 10:10 PM. Reason: You'd think by my age I'd be able to spell properly.
Irimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2012, 10:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8304 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Heh, making assembly programming into a game, that's just... wrong
Despite popular belief assembly programming is not as fun as it looks

Other than that, I think the general idea sounds more or less like an exact copy of this kickstarter game project I saw: FTL: Faster Than Light by FTL Team — Kickstarter
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2012, 10:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

I believe Notch is aware of FTL but wants to allow for bigger problems with the machinery of the space ship etc. This is why people think of it as more like Captain Mal trying to fly the Serenity than Picard/Kirk and the Enterprise. I guess in the long-term, we will see.

Spacecraftcraft: Notch Starting An Elitey Firefly-ey Game | Rock, Paper, Shotgun

Old 29th March 2012, 01:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8304 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Thank god for EVE where you simply just connect your brain directly to the ship and bypass all those complications
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2012, 08:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 271

Doubtful

Resurrecting assembler for a game? Sounds interesting, but definitely agree with Daedalus in that it was nowhere near 'fun' programming in it. Given the idea of a simulated MPU and physically running around dealing with problems, it sounds like a blast. I wonder if they'll take the ideas that the MC community has put forward, and make a basic API if they decide to go through with the game.
Maorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2012, 01:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1249

Amused

I did a bit of 6502 and 68000 back in the day!

Started learning it on the commodore systems, where you could poke hex values and modify the commercial game, so as to get extra lives and the like.

It's fun to learn for a basic program to add a couple of numbers together, but after that whoa.

When I first started in my computing career, some guys were using assembler, and both memory and disk space were extremely tiny and expensive. So this guy wrote assembler code that deliberately overwrote part of memory and continued to run! Amazing stuff to run in a small amount of memory, but a nightmare to maintain across new versions of sofware and o.s. after the guy left.
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2012, 01:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

I believe that Notch is now trying to get it to understand BASIC. So far he has made macros for a "get"-like command to understand keyboard typing and print commands to output to screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/185412095452524545/photo/1

Surprisingly little assembler code went into this! Now to implement a BASIC interpreter for maximum Xzibit. pic.twitter.com/KVgLRq7o

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
When I first started in my computing career, some guys were using assembler, and both memory and disk space were extremely tiny and expensive. So this guy wrote assembler code that deliberately overwrote part of memory and continued to run! Amazing stuff to run in a small amount of memory, but a nightmare to maintain across new versions of sofware and o.s. after the guy left.
Isn't that always true. That's why the rule is "document document document" (and write understandable code).

My first journey into assembler was with peeking and poking for the c64. Assembler was the only real way to get "high res" anything on the Commodore.

Sorontar

Old 30th March 2012, 09:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Division Captain
Minecraft
Elite - Post: 2821

Grumpy

Well, now that you've tripped my nostalgia switch:

Well, well, well. It still works.
Irimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2012, 10:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irimar View Post
Well, well, well. It still works.
Tape or floppy? I remember feeling quite proud that we had the aerial connection that allowed us to use the c64 whilst watching tv. All we had to do was turn[1] it back to UHF 36 to see the Commodore. Luckily nothing interesting was on Channel 28 [2] in those days.

Sorontar

[1] We didn't have any whizbang remote control cable attached.
[2] Now named SBS.