TOG Latest

Chris Roberts Recognises the Star Cit...

The rising interest in Star Citizen in TOG has gai...

Warthunder heard throughout TOG

The sounds of Warthunder is being heard throughout TOG

Dota 2 Release

DOTA2 Released.

Planetside 2 Release 20-Nov-2012 PST

The long awaited and critically acclaimed PlanetSi...

Division Latest

TOG MindCrack - Mining, Machines, Mag...

TOG's MindCrack Minecraft server offers all that's...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Machines and magic in Minecraft - 'Fe...

Over the vacation period, a "Feed The Beast" Mod p...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10th April 2012, 10:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 3996

Cheeky
Default Better dungeons mod - warning

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edited title to include a warning - see my post further down why I don't recommend this mod any more
Better dungeons mod - warning
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I stumbled upon this mod yesterday (because someone mentioned it had horses lol)

But, it's absolutely amazing!!!!!

[1.2.5]Chocolate quest. Mods for the adventurers - Minecraft Forum

What it does, is add extra (I assume it's not replacing) things for you to explore. It calls them dungeons, but they are really more than that. They seem to have different ones in different biomes, and they can range from a small ship in the ocean, to a sandy pyramid to a large castle. They are filled with armour-wearing mobs (some human, some vanilla mobs), and some new mobs too (so far I've encountered large silverfish and HUGE silverfish that were bring ridden by other mobs)..... and treasures.

I admit, I explored on creative, when I switched to survival while onboard a ship, to see if the crew would attack me, I was slaughtered in 2 hits.... so I would strongly advise good armour and don't let them hit you!

But it's amazing. Here's a bit of a spoiler:
The pyramids I've explored have an obsidian maze that ends with a hatch, you fall down there into a chamber with a fireball throwing boss, when you defeat that, the room fills with lava and you have to quickly escape through a newly opened exit, which takes you back outside, gives you some XP and a treasure chest!

I've attached some pics.... And yes, that whole hidden ship island thing is generated in the ocean biomes!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-04-09_23.07.17.jpg (62.1 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-04-09_23.08.40.jpg (47.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-04-09_23.22.41.jpg (50.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-04-09_23.51.27.jpg (42.7 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-04-09_23.55.36.jpg (46.1 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by Obsi; 20th July 2012 at 07:52 PM.
Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10th April 2012, 10:14 AM   #2 (permalink)

Cheeky

...and a couple more...

Ohh and, it seems to add a couple of new animals - I found horses and some word of bird thing - both of which you can ride, but they can't jump (they will though automatically go up a hill, which is awesome).... and it does add more stuff but I haven't had a chance to look at it all, I'm just still blown away by the buildings it adds!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-04-10_00.23.56.jpg (85.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-04-10_00.36.35.jpg (66.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-04-10_00.40.41.jpg (61.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-04-09_23.23.34.jpg (83.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-04-10_00.44.42.jpg (47.2 KB, 20 views)
Old 10th April 2012, 10:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9016

Unfortunately it is single player, but we might be able to reuse the world with its dungeons for an adventure weekend.

Sorontar

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 12:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1249

Amused

Very cool obsi, and obviously another direction Mojang can take to make this a better game.
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 01:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Architect
Minecraft
Competent - Post: 318

Lurking

That looked awesome! Makes me want to play some quest based mod for Minecraft.
marvelmanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 02:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

Cheeky

Yes, sorry, forgot to say it's single player - although the developer says if he may make it for SMP in the future.

I'm not normally as interested in exploring or adventuring as I am building (and farming), but seeing these has really inspired me to have a go, since they are interesting and the reward for getting through is great.
Old 20th July 2012, 07:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

Cheeky

Just bumping this with a word of warning to anyone who has installed this or is thinking of.... I honestly wouldn't recommend it now.

I reinstalled a more recent build of this mod a few months back, and it introduced a lot of new buildings... A LOT... and some of them were very out of keeping with the world and/or looked funny (like the raillines running underground everywhere, even through the ocean) I was also getting a lot of lag (from all the mobs in these buildings). So I uninstalled it, and used MCedit to delete some of the chunks where the buildings were generated that I didn't want, and thought that would be the end of it.

But then I noticed that even on medium difficulty, I was getting no mobs spawning. None of the Mo Creatures mobs (except water mobs), none of the vanilla hostile mobs and very few vanilla animals. Mo creatures settings let me increase spawn rates, so I did that and got a few zombies and skeles spawning, but still none of the mo creatures animals.

So I used an xray texture pack, to see what was going on underground .....and that's where I found the problem.

Better dungeons adds large underground dungeons with spawners. Some have over 20 spawner cages in them, and most of the dungeons are within view distance from each other. So there are a LOT of mobs being spawned underground in those, in addition to any normal dungeons and other mobs.

So now I have to go clear out all the spawn cages from the places near my buildings, and I'm going to have to use mcedit again to delete more of the world to get rid of them all. So if you've got this mod and are having reduced mobs - that's probably why. If you're thinking about adding this mod.... be aware of this problem.
Old 20th July 2012, 07:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5039

That's crazy having so many spawners in one place. Even 2 spawners provide a constant supply of mobs and any more is really overkill.
Old 20th July 2012, 09:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

Cheeky

To give you an example... I'm building in an area about the size of Piedra Roja... in that area there were 2 of the dungeons that would have about 20 spawners in them, and one about half that size. As well as 2 random spawners just sitting around in bedrock level (those are randomly generated too, some with chests below them, some on their own)

So about 50 spawners in the one area that would be loaded as I was building there!!!!! Insane.

I also have a MASSIVE slime problem... I don't know what's causing them to spawn so much... I have Mo creatures, Simply Horses, Single Player Commands, Optfine and Rei's minimap mods - and I can't think of one of those affecting it... and I've turned the spawn rate for slimes to 0 within Mo's (which should stop them spawning) - but they are EVERYWHERE! Which I imagine has also been contributing to things not spawning.

So after clearing out all the spawners around my buildings, mobs are finally starting to spawn again!