The Older Gamers Forums

The Older Gamers Forums (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/)
-   Minecraft (Public Forum) (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/minecraft-public-forum/)
-   -   Running low on animals on Frontier (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/minecraft-public-forum/430936-running-low-animals-frontier.html)

HenriDeacon 7th May 2012 09:27 AM

Running low on animals on Frontier

You may have noticed that we can run for miles without seeing a cow.

Sheep appear to mainly inhabit the south west portion of the map.

This weekend me and Sanzhin have started breeding cows, and will release around 50 across the middle of the map. Also going to build a farm to continue releasing animals into the wild.

Any we see in the wild we will feed wheat to produce lots of tasty, I mean adorable calves.

Sorontar 7th May 2012 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HenriDeacon (Post 3519277)
This weekend me and Sanzhin have started breeding cows, and will release around 50 across the middle of the map. Also going to build a farm to continue releasing animals into the wild.

50 might be a bit too much for one lot. If you find it lags the server, you might have to cull them a bit.

And be careful. They might fight back :)

Sorontar

HenriDeacon 7th May 2012 10:07 AM

We currently have 20 cows ready for release, so i'll send out a few each day :)

Obsi 7th May 2012 11:16 AM

Yes, I think some people need to remember that animals in the wild won't repopulate, so you can't just go around slaughtering animals as you travel around, without replenishing them.

Sorontar 7th May 2012 11:24 AM

This also encourages people to travel further from civilisation. Being closer to spawn may be helpful initially, but not later. Such is the nature of survival mode. Frontier is not meant to be easy. That is why we don't normally spawn anything on Frontier with the /give command, and this normally includes not making mobs with spawn eggs.

Sorontar

Irimar 7th May 2012 02:01 PM

I have a few pigs in my fortress. I tend to keep three or four, as that seems sufficient for my food needs. If anyone wants/needs some pigs, I could breed a couple extra on request.

Warmonger 7th May 2012 05:39 PM

I have about a dozen cows, half a dozen or so pigs and a number of sheep near my new place, extreme SW portion of the map pretty much. Have yet to herd any into an enclosure, but planning on it sometime.

HenriDeacon 7th May 2012 06:46 PM

If anyone without animals would like to adopt a pair of breeding cows, there are now plenty (about 30 total) under the Hunger Games Arena, North-East of Spawn. Just seperate them from the group using the gates, and with some wheat and they will follow you home.

Sorontar 7th May 2012 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HenriDeacon (Post 3519789)
If anyone without animals would like to adopt a pair of breeding cows, there are now plenty (about 30 total) under the Hunger Games Arena, North-East of Spawn. Just seperate them from the group using the gates, and with some wheat and they will follow you home.

Much easier with wheat isn't it. I remember the trials with Bessie on Sanctuary....

Sorontar

Obsi 7th May 2012 09:38 PM

Quote:

I remember the trials with Bessie on Sanctuary....
Ohh God yes.... and then repeating it to get a second one there....

Thankfully we no longer have to push cows along!