Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16th May 2012, 06:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 56

Cool
Default Mods!!

Hello all,

My son and I are new to Minecraft and I would like to know what mods out there are good. Most of the info is old and I would like some suggests for cool mods that can fit in my current world. My current world I have a huge and growing fortress and tunnel connected outposts. I just want some more "stuff" going on in the world.

Plus, what's a good modloader out there since Nexus has not done Minecraft yet.

Thanks,

Bigmik1
BigMik1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 16th May 2012, 06:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 600

What's My Light Level
Rei's MiniMap

To me, those two are essential, and the rest are fluff. WMLL is great, because it tells you the light level of where you are standing. If it comes up with a red 7 or less, you can get monsters spawning.

Rei's Minimap lets you make waypoint markers, and are really great for keeping track of where your things are and your friends and monster spawners etc etc.
Warmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2012, 08:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 56

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warmonger View Post
What's My Light Level
Rei's MiniMap

To me, those two are essential, and the rest are fluff. WMLL is great, because it tells you the light level of where you are standing. If it comes up with a red 7 or less, you can get monsters spawning.

Rei's Minimap lets you make waypoint markers, and are really great for keeping track of where your things are and your friends and monster spawners etc etc.
Cool, thanks, but what modloader should I use? And are the Millenaire
Mod, Mo Creatures Mod and Airship Mod any good? They looked very interesting.

Wow, my son and I are so late coming into this...geez.
BigMik1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2012, 08:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Division Captain
Minecraft
Lethal - Post: 5646 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Lurking

REi's is a must, the important thing to remember is on the TOG server the mods are restricted.
DarkDuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2012, 08:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 600

I think it's just called modloader. Rei's will link you to it since it's required. WMLL goes right into the minecraft.jar file.
Warmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2012, 11:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9204

The main issue is still whether you want mods for singleplayer or multiplayer. If singleplayer, you often need modloader to add them. Multiplayer will probably require Craftbukkit, which is what the TOG servers use.

Mo's creatures has a wonderful reputation but only works properly on singleplayer. Various people have tried to get it to work in multiplayer but not been very successful.

Millenaire predates the NPC villages and people were suggesting that Jens should have used it instead of writing his own code. I don't know whether it has been updated and whether it does multiplayer.

For Bukkit-specific mods, go to Categories - Bukkit. Lots to choose from but they won't add new animals or blocks due to them being server-only mods.

Sorontar

Sorontar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2012, 11:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Architect
Minecraft
Competent - Post: 396

http://www.technicpack.net/

This is a launcher that comes with 3 mod bundles, one is the Yogbox wich has mo' creatures, milleniare, airships and plenty more that are similar to what your after.. The other two add the technic mod, wich add some redstone pumps and technical building type stuff. The Technic pack also comes with the railways mod too..
All three mods are available as one download as the launcher, when installed you just pick the version you want to launch.
They did offer multiplayer support for the Technic mod too, but at the moment it looks like they're updating bukkit and it's not working..
Espesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2012, 12:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4025

Cheeky

I'd recommend Better Dungeons... I posted about it recently, it adds extra fortresses, boats and stuff - that come with NPCs to fight (or just to hang about and give extra visual appeal, so you don't feel alone in the world)

http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/...-dungeons.html

Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2012, 05:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2759

Innocent

mod loader?
Magic Launcher is the best I have used.
Old 17th May 2012, 11:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Architect
Minecraft
Competent - Post: 396

I second Magic Launcher. When not using the pack I mentioned I boot from there, it's the most user-friendly and has the most options performance wise for a launcher I've found..
Espesh is offline   Reply With Quote