Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22nd May 2012, 10:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 280

Default "EnchantView" mod

any one els sick of useing there exp to get some silly enchantment only to have to go kill more to try again

[1.2.5] Thebombzen's Mods - Minecraft Forum
scroll down you will see it

anyways was wondering about getting this on the Frontier server
it says the server needs the multiplayer EnchantView plugin so I am guessing thats "EnchantView Bukkit Plugin (v1.1.1)"

cliant side would use "EnchantView Client Mod (v3.4.0 for Minecraft 1.2.5)"

No I do not belive this would make servival easyer just better as ppl would know what enchant they are getting as I belive you would in doing this sort of thing

"a bit like sticking a knife in a toster and getting a rost chicken"
TAZZROK is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22nd May 2012, 11:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2774

Innocent

I'm pretty torn on this one.
It makes sense to me that you should know what your enchantment is before applying it.
However I do think that if we could, we would all be running around with uber tools weapons and armour - and that is directly against the spirit of survival - keeping it random does mean you risk 'wasting' the xp and item enchanted, and that is very much in line with a hard core server.

I'd have to say (whislt I would like it myself) it's against the spirit of the server.
Old 22nd May 2012, 11:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Cartographer
Minecraft
Competent - Post: 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazz View Post
keeping it random does mean you risk 'wasting' the xp and item enchanted, and that is very much in line with a hard core server.
I also am on the fence with this mod, and this above quote is exactly why.
I am one who looks at mods alot and have seen this mod among with couple other enchanting mods but never wanted to lose the gambling aspect of enchanting lol
I will watch this thread to see others point of views
Aveege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 11:52 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazz View Post
and that is directly against the spirit of survival - keeping it random does mean you risk 'wasting' the xp and item enchanted, and that is very much in line with a hard core server.

k and Rei's minimap
Old 22nd May 2012, 02:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Division Captain
Minecraft
Lethal - Post: 5707 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Lurking

I like this. i can understand the concerns. for me the enchanting is an annoyance that i get no pleasure from. and with the exception of fortune i have not sought an enchant prefering not to waste my time.

I see this one as solving a grip i have apposed to taking away the fun of the game.

personally i would have prefered a system more like the potions
DarkDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 03:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9246

Ok, I'll have a look at this one later so I can give my initial views on this. In case you weren't sure, the randomness is what Notch saw as a vital component of the enchantment. He always intended it to be awkward, I believe to follow the random nature of terrains and mobs. That is why he used the Galactic Alphabet and gibberish, rather than explicitly labelling the enchantments. He didn't want the player to know what they would get. Otherwise, players could just keep clicking on the table until they got the best enchantments everytime. That he didn't like. Potions were intended to be distinctly different, I think because they worked directly on the player.

The only major change to enchantments since the start was that in a "recent" update, it shifted to favouring the higher enchantments (ie. those closer to the maximum level that your xp can cater for).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minecraft 1.1
Decreased randomness of enchantment levels at Enchantment Tables.
Sorontar

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2012, 01:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Architect
Minecraft
Competent - Post: 396

I'm with most here, unsure. I don't get into enchanting all that much, but just about everyone has an XP farm and there are community ones available so it's more of a time/convenience issue than a waste of resource IMO..
On that note though, I'm all for player trade and economy and I figure what mightn't be what you need, someone else could use.
I'd rather see the randomness of it contribute to some trading and in-game quid pro quo, but I also understand that not everyone's into that and could see it as as much of a time-sink as grinding for enchants...
Espesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2012, 04:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

The way I see it, if you got the skills to inchant something your going to know what your doing and what the inchant is going to be.
Old 23rd May 2012, 08:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2774

Innocent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOUROK View Post
The way I see it, if you got the skills to inchant something your going to know what your doing and what the inchant is going to be.
So if you have the skill to lay red stone, you should know how to use red stone?

This is actually a great example why NOT to have it - red stone trickery was learnt from the ground up, shared around you tube and forums and now you have instructions and guides any where you care to look - yay community!

With enchanting, whilst we dont know what we are going to get, we have you tube and forums to show us how to gain XP very quickly - just look at Blacksox enderman grinder - We also have on our servers people willing to share their uber tools, so if you do come across diamond, there is already a pick you can use to maximise return (last night I found two deposits of 5 diamonds each - using the fortune 3 I got 21 diamonds from that)

Add to that Espeesh's point of trade, and I am more convinced that we should not get this mod.

Heck, I think Tribble got a silk touch diamond pick off me because I had no use for it - and thats an interesting point - we are a community, but the game mechanic teaches you to hoard.
Empty food bins and tool chests in the spawn area are a testament to that I think.
"I have more than I need right now - but later I may want it!"

If we all took the habit of dropping our excess stuff off at spawn, then you would hope that at spawn there would be excess stuff when you need it.

Last edited by Bazz; 23rd May 2012 at 08:13 PM.
Bazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2012, 09:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2948

Grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOUROK View Post
There's no way to know for sure what the enchantment will be.

On the other hand, I think that's part of the fun of it.
Irimar is offline   Reply With Quote