The Older Gamers Forums

The Older Gamers Forums (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/)
-   Minecraft (Public Forum) (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/minecraft-public-forum/)
-   -   Wild West (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/minecraft-public-forum/434509-wild-west.html)

Espesh 26th May 2012 07:08 PM

Wild West

I'd just like to float the idea of a designated PvP "danger zone" type area, just a specific, signed, walled (maybe?) area where basically anything gos, PvP, traps, and general mischief, obviously I've taken inspiration from HenriD's fantastic soon to be Hunger Games event and it's popularity.
I'm thinking an out of the way area similar in location and size would be a good candidate.. With the danger of traps and attack from players, an area like that would eventually become quite lucrative for rescource if avoided by those afraid of getting killed.
Aside from the PvP and trap dangers I think it should function like the rest of the world, players being able to build, mine and all the usual stuff. For example while fortifying your claim might better protect you and your stuff from harm, it would also draw attention to the fact that there might be something worth going after...
Players would be free to move mats too and from the area, so long as they acknowledge that they and their items become " fair game " when they enter the area...
Alliances and/or teams would be allowed, a player or players could attempt to dominate the area for his or herself again making the spoils more lucrative for themselves but also anyone game enough to attempt a " break in ".
Players could issue bounties on other players travelling through, bounties would be made public (could use signs like wanted posters) so that the players including the target know who the target is, why and who it's from, allowing them to retaliate with one of their own or sort it out without conflict.
All of this would apply exclusively to a defined area, upping the danger for any game enough to explore..
I'm not pushing hard for this, just gauging interest on the concept, I know alot of players feel it's dangerous enough on Frontier, I also know there are other players that enjoy the PvP and competetive elements too and would welcome the added danger and give something like this a go.

Food for thought, apologies for the length...

HenriDeacon 26th May 2012 07:18 PM

I really like this idea. We have become so advanced on Frontier that the additional danger element will be welcome within the defined area.

I would suggest that if a player raids all your gear, it should remain within the wicked city zone, or players will kill you then TP back to their safe home. If there is a gentlemans agreement to keep it hidden within the zone you have the chance to recover it and get revenge.

Akira Doe 26th May 2012 07:42 PM

I love this idea!

I'd offer some help with the wall but I'm totally out of resources building my village...

Obsi 26th May 2012 07:53 PM

Sounds good - we had a walled PVP area in the old "survival" world, but I don't know if it was ever really used (other than a treasure hunt).

If people are going to mine and build, the only problem will be knowing where they are in relation to the PVP zone when they are underground (if they don't have minimap).

You'd have to scope out a large spot of land for it to go in. I don't have much in the way of spare materials, but I'm happy to help out with some stacks of cobble and can help build a wall around it.

Espesh 26th May 2012 08:14 PM

Henri thats a great suggestion. Having to hide and defend your stolen goods properly from their original owner, even when your logged out would up the ante heaps!
Obsi I didn't think of an underground boundary:w I'm not sure how that would be done for those without a minimap...
Perhaps the area could be surrounded by ocean, or up high enough that you could fall to your death if you dig through the boundary.
I know if there was an area like this that I would spend most of my time on the server in it, basically moving my house there and seeing how long I could survive...
I figure this way, atleast people have a choice, I have played on PvP servers and some can be reeealllyy unforgiving, atleast people can escape back to the (relative) safety of their usual homes/bases and goings on if it gets too much.

HenriDeacon 26th May 2012 08:19 PM

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/n...deacon/pvp.jpg

The top of the map i think is vacant and has some very interesting land, lots of potential.

Would never be short of wood for a 'wild west' feel :)

Espesh 26th May 2012 08:21 PM

Sorry to double post.

With regards to the wall, I see it serving more as a visual marker to identify the area, it doesn't need to keep anything in or out, in fact the more natural the better, so long as it's recognisable as an area you might want to avoid if you want to keep your hearts and orbs.

Aveege 26th May 2012 08:41 PM

Another good spot is SW of minerducks home. Many biomes stretch the land and didnt see any beds/buildings in area.
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/1307/pvpsection.png

Sorontar 26th May 2012 09:23 PM

As Obsi said, under Exe's guidance, we set up a similar area in the old Frontier land. It was designed as a completely PvP area. Strangely though, no-one built in there for that purpose, so I used it for the Treasure Hunt.

I can see no harm in setting up an area on Frontier. It will need to be signed well, perhaps with something like an Endstone wall that is very visible and out of place. If it becomes popular, we may need things like challenges etc added.

As to where, a corner area will allow it to be expanded when updates occur, and it allows less of there being a central area with two flanks. A square area will have many flanks in all areas.

Sorontar

Clockwinder 27th May 2012 04:37 AM

I think its a cool idea, I especially like the hunger games area that was proposed in another thread.

The area HenriDeacon proposed is awfully close to where I am currently building. =/ BTW the borders on the map are for show, they are not usable. I am built right on the edge..the grid would be 1/4 the size marked.

I like the idea of a new grid square like the mushroom biome island, but with a mix of terrain and biomes. or perhaps 2 , one for pvp survival and one for the hunger games? Can this be created on this server? and then we add a teleport network?

max