Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12th June 2012, 01:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 106

Default Recommendations for File Hosting Sites?

I've got the first Nether Portal Map ready for publication, but there is a 200 KB file size limit on the forum for PDF files, which is quite understandable. I'd appreciate recommendations for a file hosting site, or perhaps one of our members already has their own hosted site being used for such TOG Minecraft purposes. With no attempt at size optimization yet, the first PDF file is approaching 6 MB. I'd prefer to avoid ad-ridden hosts such as adfly or Media Fire.

All suggestions welcome, both pro and con, for various site options.

Thanks!
Rhof is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12th June 2012, 01:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4025

Cheeky

We have a photobucket account, but that is only for pictures. I know some people use dropbox, but I don't know anything about file hosting sites, sorry.

adfly and mediafire are commonly used for hosting minecraft mods, so I think most of us will be used to the ads (or blank space where ads are supposed to be )

Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2012, 01:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm aware of, avidly use, and dearly love Dropbox, but for this particular use I cannot use my personal account, and the nature of the Dropbox tool makes it tricky if not difficult to manage more than one... Hmm, unless I create another user on my local host. I'll have to think about it.

Thanks!

Update: I've thought about it. Probably not a good idea. It would likely provide far less permanence than a hosted solution would.
Old 12th June 2012, 01:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9245

Hmm... we are using most of the Division's dropbox account for our old Creative and Survival worlds (see Our Worlds - servers, maps, claims, downloads).
Quote:
1.3 GB of 2 GB used
We should be able to fit you in When you have finished, tell the mod/admins how much space you need and we'll arrange something.

Sorontar

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2012, 03:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

Finished is a rather dubious term for this project. The first publishable version is finished now, and is around 5.6 MB. I expect that size will grow say possibly up to 10 MB if and when more of the undocumented Nether paths and portals are ever added to the map. I also think there is plenty of good opportunity to shrink the size if even a modest time investment is made in optimizing the map to reuse common components (such as stairs) rather than having scores of individual copies... but right now that's not a priority.

So the only real question is how many prior versions we want to have stored and/or accessible at the same time for either the admins and/or newer users. My guess is the answer to that is none for general usage, but perhaps one or two for file update management purposes. I can't really think why anyone would want an out-of-date map represented by an older version unless they were tracking the history of Nether development. I'll keep a copy of all the older versions regardless, and any forum member who downloads copies of the PDF is welcome to do so as well.

So the minimal answer is 10 MB, a safer number is say 30 MB. So call it 0.03 GB. That should fit in someware in the available 0.70 GB remaining. I look forward to your arrangements!

Last edited by Rhof; 12th June 2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old 12th June 2012, 03:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

That said... unless Dropbox has changed significantly since I last studied it -- which is quite possible -- I'm unaware of any facility for anyone other than an account owner to add files to it. I believe Dropbox is an outbound-only file sharing facility, say unlike FTP. So presumably the procedure would be what...
  • I send the file to an admin somehow; email should work ok for 10 MB.
  • Admin posts to Dropbox and sends me the public link.
  • I test and then add the link to the updated forum post.
Not particularly fast turnaround, but yeah... that would work. It also has the very nice benefit of ensuring that the admins can keep the post alive and working if I and some private storage system I'm using fall off of the TOGoverse.
Old 12th June 2012, 03:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9245

The forum thread you started will eventually be pointed to in the sticky - Our Worlds - servers, maps, claims, downloads

I will PM you an email address you can post to. That is probably the best way to do things for a start. We can worry later about whether other arrangements can be made.

Sorontar

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2012, 10:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 954

Mellow

I'm happy to offer storage on my VPS.
Deweyoxberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2012, 11:45 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deweyoxberg View Post
I'm happy to offer storage on my VPS.
Great. Thanks for the offer. I think we're good for now. I like having the files in official TOG storage.