Old 15th June 2012, 08:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Server Admin
Dangerous - Post: 674

Inspired
Default Errant Portals

There's a mystery portal someone made (from the nether, I suppose) in the middle of my area in the overworld. Not sure if I can destroy it without breaking anything. Unfortunately, there's so many nether portals in close proximity that I can't make one to the nether as it always connects to someone elses and/or prevents their exit from working. I've decided to pretend the nether doesn't exist! What nether? Where am I? What's this thread about, again?

Old 15th June 2012, 10:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9196

Then you have every right to remove it and its portal at the Nether end. If you have tool issues, grab a moderator in-game and we'll help you.

While we may not have claims on Frontier, we do expect players to respect each other's building sites. That is why one of the guidelines for the server worlds says:
Quote:
Construct nether portals only in the "Overworld", not the Nether

It is hard to position portals correctly. For that reason, we ask players to only construct them in the Overworld. This is because unpaired portals made in the Nether may end up generating Overworld companion portals in the midst of someone-else's construction. Ask in the forum if any portals in the Nether need to be corrected.
If anyone wants to reposition the resulting portal in the Nether or make a new one because their Overworld portal maps to someone else's Nether portal, then see a mod for approval. We will probably say yes, but we need to be convinced that you know what you are doing so that errant portals like this don't occur.

Sorontar

Sorontar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2012, 10:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Server Admin

Inspired

Oooh a new thread Alright, I'll try to find out whose it is by porting through and looking around, and posting back here. I believe they have their own exit portal as last time I travelled into it, then back out again, I appeared elsewhere, so I don't think whoever's build it is is *necessarily* responsible, as it probably happened like this:

Person 1 built a portal in the nether and it appeared in my build.
Person 2 (quite possibly) built a portal in the overworld in their base and it linked to the same portal in the nether, leaving two overworld portals.

Thus, thinking about it, it's probably going to be safe to remove the overworld portal in my area without any collateral damage. I have the tools to do so - all good

Last edited by BlackD; 15th June 2012 at 10:53 AM.
BlackD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2012, 11:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9196

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackD View Post
it probably happened like this:

Person 1 built a portal in the nether and it appeared in my build.
Person 2 (quite possibly) built a portal in the overworld in their base and it linked to the same portal in the nether, leaving two overworld portals.
If so, then Person 1 was naughty. If you remove the Nether portal, then Person 2's Overworld portal will recreate a new Nether portal and no harm will have been done. The portal may not be in quite the same position as the one they had before, but such is life. The portal pair you removed are "illegal".

Sorontar

Sorontar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2012, 02:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 106

So what about the portal shown below? It's floating up 7 blocks above the surface of the sea with no means of access (other than the temporary dock and ladder I put up for a few weeks when it was the fastest way for me to get back to spawn, and which still shows up in the picture below though I've since removed it). It's a one-way, nether-bound portal that exits at the same nether portal as does the slime farm. Any chance we can be allowed to make this one go away as well? Or does it not qualify as an evil portal?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Floating Portal.jpg (72.4 KB, 22 views)
Rhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2012, 02:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Server Admin

Inspired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhof View Post
So what about the portal shown below? It's floating up 7 blocks above the surface of the sea with no means of access (other than the temporary dock and ladder I put up for a few weeks when it was the fastest way for me to get back to spawn, and which still shows up in the picture below though I've since removed it). It's a one-way, nether-bound portal that exits at the same nether portal as does the slime farm. Any chance we can be allowed to make this one go away as well? Or does it not qualify as an evil portal?
Probably the same naughty person! I removed the one that was in my base - , but certainly this appears to be another that someone has built from within the nether.