Old 17th June 2012, 08:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Cartographer
Minecraft
Competent - Post: 481

Default No mobs spawning?

So espesh noticed that no mobs were spawning around him so i took a look outside my place at night which is always mob filled and there was 0 out there aswell. I tried turning on slime farm and those also are not spawning currently. Think server might need a reboot?
Aveege is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 17th June 2012, 09:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 640

Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aveege View Post
So espesh noticed that no mobs were spawning around him so i took a look outside my place at night which is always mob filled and there was 0 out there aswell. I tried turning on slime farm and those also are not spawning currently. Think server might need a reboot?
I'd check for people who might be afk in a mob spawner. It can max out server limit of mobs and they won't spawn "naturally".

All my XP Farms have kill switches accessible from the outside so if you do find one flip the switch and it should solve the problem. Throwing a healing potion (some of the farms have them in chests) will also work with the bonus of farming XP, but it might not be possible to do that if there are heaps of mobs (framerate drops to like 1...).

I was about to join, if they are still not spawning I'll have a look.
Old 17th June 2012, 10:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

Tired

Ok, it seems my arrow farm has (hopefully had) a flaw in the redstone. If someone were to TP away, if the timing is just right the redstone clock would get stuck in the off position. This means that the grinder doesn't grind so the mobs keep adding up.

This wouldn't normally be an issue because once you leave the spawner it will unload the chunk and the mobs should disappear. However, I believe that sometimes if a player times out the mobs will stay loaded (at least their count towards the mob limit of the server). I think that's what happened here.

I've made some changes to the farm. Now the grinder only activates when you are on the pressure pad in the collection room. This means the player won't need to flip a switch to turn off the grinder as they leave via the nether (once they exit the collection room the redstone turns off and the clock resets).

Now what I'm unsure of is if someone /tps out of the collection room (or disconnects), will the pressure plate be deactivated before the chunk is unloaded...

In case it is still an issue there is now a master kill switch that will override all the redstone clocks (but won't reset them ) and will kill everything in the spawner.

The issue is that sometimes the repeaters if they are active when the player leaves the chunk, they stay active even if not powered. Without removing and replacing a bit of redstone (dust, torch, repeater etc) on the circuit (manually) I don't know how to reset it.

To the wiki!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg masterkill.jpg (90.0 KB, 26 views)
Old 17th June 2012, 10:46 AM   #4 (permalink)

Tired

I might try this, Tutorials/Repeater Reboot System - Minecraft Wiki but attached it to the pressure plate.
Old 17th June 2012, 11:04 AM   #5 (permalink)

Tired

Ok, I think I've implemented what the wiki said, time will tell.

Those are the 3 repeaters that cause all the problems ad now they have redstone that changes state adjacent to them (without interacting with the circuit) so it *should* be problem solved.

We'll see...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg redstonereboot.jpg (67.2 KB, 24 views)
Old 17th June 2012, 11:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Cartographer
Minecraft
Competent - Post: 481

Thanx Akira
Aveege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2012, 12:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5160

Amused

I was using the Arrow farm yesterday then TPd to PvP Zone. That would have been that timing thing you were talking about as i went back later and the farm was still running.