Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18th June 2012, 12:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9207

Default Discussing the Wild West standing orders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsi View Post
I thought the idea of the PVP area was to not take anything in, not take anything out - and battle with only the stuff you have found/made within the area?
The standing orders are at The Wild West pvp region on Frontier

Obsi is referring to the following:
  • Items used within the Wild West should be constructed there from resources mined there.
  • Items won or constructed in the Wild West should remain in the Wild West as potential targets for other players.
  • XP used to enchant items should have primarily been obtained in the Wild West.
If those who play in the Wild West wish these (or any other standing orders) to be changed, then you need to discuss it on the forum.

Sorontar

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 18th June 2012, 12:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 885

Mellow

Hrm, problem then.

Only justifiable item I have on me would then be the bow and the sword's enchantment, but not the sword.

Noted... also means I need to tear down the dispensers and remove the arrows and redstone and put the coal and iron back. Long night ahead

(yes, just read the by-laws, was under impression they were being discussed/not implemented).
Deweyoxberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2012, 12:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Mellow

Fixed, somewhat.
Old 18th June 2012, 01:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deweyoxberg View Post
(yes, just read the by-laws, was under impression they were being discussed/not implemented).
They were discussed in Wild West. When I officially announced the Wild West as a pvp zone, it had to have its own by-laws to supercede the Frontier laws. Otherwise it is bad form to play pvp even in the Wild West.

So all the Wild West standing orders are active in the Wild West. You can't go for half being active and half being maybes. This is also why I mentioned having to get tnt for the cannons last night, because it must come from resources found in the Wild West.

You have to earn what you use in the Wild West.

But I call them standing orders because I understand that this is a new type of gameplay for Frontier. They are based on ideas, but they may end up needing to change. For this reason, people who play in the Wild West need to give feedback on them and watch the forum for possible changes.

Sorontar

Last edited by Sorontar; 18th June 2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old 18th June 2012, 01:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Mellow

Ah, misinterpreted. Anywho, mostly fixed, now.
Old 18th June 2012, 02:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Architect
Minecraft
Competent - Post: 396

Yeh as more combat and building starts to happen, we might have to revise these.

The enchanted gear is something I'm torn on. We set up an enchant table at the safe village and I plan to one day put a brewing stand in there too when I find blaze rods so the enchants and potions can be done safely and locally but the kind of unspoken arangement going around now is that the enderman XP farm and other like it, like the arrow farm are community use and fair game for mats..

The rest of the blocks, for construction and redstone traps have come from whats found deep underground in the area.

I'm easy about the use of community farms, Ive done it, I'm still an enchant newb so it was my first bow but I felt a little under-equipped after seeing so many shiney diamonds.. I'd be willing to give it up, but I don't mind so much if it's stays either..

Ender Pearls have become alot more valuable and useful and you can't get them locally, I've been bringing some spares to town from spawn, and asking ppl that visit the XP farm to drop some off, they are one thing we can't get in the area that I think should be available to all players..
Espesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2012, 02:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4025

Cheeky

Personally I feel that the idea behind keeping the west/pvp area as an area where you can't bring anything in, nor take anything out - means that people can play in there at a more or less even level.

I thought the idea behind that area was not just about being able to kill or trap other players - but about getting together the resources, making yourself a hideout and praying that you've got enough supplies to survive an ambush Making it harder to run about killing people - and that being one of the things that keeps it interesting.

If someone is bringing in diamond stuff, tons of arrows or supplies, or using the xp farms to get to 50 so they can enchant something they made in the west - then it's not really in the spirit of the idea behind the area. Especially if you have some people in there not bringing outside stuff in, and some people who are.

Same for ender pearls. With the xp farm, they are so common people are throwing them away because they don't need any more, yet in the wild west they will be very hard to come by - as you'd have to actually kill an enderman to get one. If you can't kill an enderman to get one, then you have to walk everywhere and you can't use them as a quick way to flee someone attacking you.

Unless we run events in the west area, where people can bring in some things - I think it's best to keep it so that nothing can be brought in, and nothing can be taken out.

Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2012, 04:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espesh View Post
I'm easy about the use of community farms, Ive done it, I'm still an enchant newb so it was my first bow but I felt a little under-equipped after seeing so many shiney diamonds.. I'd be willing to give it up, but I don't mind so much if it's stays either..
My feeling is that food from Piedra Roja can be taken into the Wild West, but nothing else. So you leave the village with no armour and no weapons, because you can't store personal items in the village, except for when you are constructing village features. Perhaps we need a disposal (or community) bin somewhere safe near or in Piedra Roja for any errant items for when you exit the Wild West.

For this reason, I have WW travelling stuff, village construction stuff and WW hidden stuff. I don't travel with much because I don't access my hidden stuff much and have a high chance of dying regardless.

I am not sure what rules you want to use for resources from the Nether and the End, due to XP farms. We might have to make a rule than no portals are allowed in the Wild West, so no other worldly resources can be used in the Wild West. But as you pointed out, that makes brewing potions a little hard. We might have to make already constructed brewing stands an exception.

Sorontar

ps. This also means that any mob dungeons & their spawners in the Wild West can be used to make XP/spoil factories but they also are open to sabotage.

Last edited by Sorontar; 18th June 2012 at 04:39 PM. Reason: add "for when you exit the Wild West"
Old 18th June 2012, 06:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4025

Cheeky

Quote:
My feeling is that food from Piedra Roja can be taken into the Wild West, but nothing else. So you leave the village with no armour and no weapons, because you can't store personal items in the village, except for when you are constructing village features. Perhaps we need a disposal (or community) bin somewhere safe near or in Piedra Roja for any errant items for when you exit the Wild West.
Yep, harvesting the wheat (replanting afterwards), shearing/milking animals or trading with a villager, I think those items (wheat/bread/wool/milk and any trades) should be allowed to be taken out of Piedra Roja, as well as anything you took into there (so you can go in there with your inventory and go back out into the west with your same inventory). But not anything else.

A chest near the main entrance (the one with the grey horse wagon) could be good for people to chuck out anything they don't want - rather than just a lava pit...

Likewise, I don't think portals should be made in the west - as they would provide an easy way to escape - it should be that the only portal in the area is Piedra Roja.

That way, if the only armour and tools that are fancy or enchanted come from the wild west area, then it's rare and people are more likely to be just using more basic tools, making it more even and more "Wild West" ish - I don't believe they had enchanted diamond armour in the Wild West :P

Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2012, 07:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Please note that Obsi and I are just expressing our opinions here about what we think is most appropriate for the suggested theme of the Wild West. We are not likely to be terribly active Wild West pvp players so it is vital that we hear comments from the rest of you who do plan to use the Wild West. Feedback is vital so we can review how well the design of the area and its rules are going.

Sorontar