Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22nd June 2012, 01:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4012

Cheeky

A note however - that fortress (when I was there last anyway) is being used by someone and they have modified it, obviously turning it into their own construction - So I don't think mining it for the netherbrick would be appreciated.

If you can use those co-ords to find more however, they would be fair game.

Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22nd June 2012, 02:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Cartographer
Minecraft
Competent - Post: 464

So we are allowed to mine up nether fortresses? i had figured that fell under the NPC villages and strongholds are community property and not to be largely altered clause of the CoC since there are limited amount of fortresses.

Just curious is all, because i didnt want to get in trouble so i have never bothered looking for them.
Aveege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 02:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9163

While the comments on villages are a bit out of date (but the CoC is and states how villages can be modified), see Clarification on nether fortresses, abandoned mines, strongholds and villages

See also Nether Brick

Sorontar

Last edited by Sorontar; 22nd June 2012 at 03:39 PM. Reason: removed postscripts
Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 03:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
Div. Vice Captain
Wildstar
Elite - Post: 2623 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsi View Post
A note however - that fortress (when I was there last anyway) is being used by someone and they have modified it, obviously turning it into their own construction - So I don't think mining it for the netherbrick would be appreciated.

If you can use those co-ords to find more however, they would be fair game.
There has been very very little alteration to it obsi. A few torches mostly. And it is a MASSIVE fortress with quite extensive tunnels and pillars. So I took some nether brick from a deep, outlying room.

That said my intention is to find more hopefully using the spawn axis theory. I will post up the coordinates of all the ones I find as well as an estimation of size and the presence of blaze spawners.

P.S. My face hurts and I can't really talk
Old 22nd June 2012, 03:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

I also remind players that we sometimes regenerate sections of the Nether when updating. Generally we will only regenerate the areas outside the imaginary border of the Nether corresponding to the border of the Overworld (imaginary because we don't have a world border on the Nether). In an update earlier this year, a Nether fortress was within the area that was regenerated. Consequently, a player's path to it was destroyed as was any additional construction they had done. The Overworld has since been expanded so the same fortress may now be within the imaginary border. It is up to players to determine whether any construction they make in the Nether may possibly be destroyed by future regenerations. There is no rule of when or why these regenerations occur, other than that they will be outside the imaginary border.

For your reference, the world sizes are 4000x4000
sanctuary:
x: -222.38701125885805
z: -53.1340324024811
square radius: 2000
Frontier:
x: 0.0
z: 0.0

Because the Nether is small when compared to the Overworld, I ask players not to build large in there. Otherwise, they may find new portals and pathways need to use the same space.

Old 22nd June 2012, 04:02 PM   #16 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 106

Found it. The route will show up some day on the next map release. Meanwhile, here's a pictorial primer for other's who would like to visit.

Follow the Orange route from Spawn to Minerduck's...

... continue east along the long, lonely, lava-warmed path...

...and you'll eventually arrive at the Nether Fortress Plain (hmm... "Plane" actually; we'll have to fix the map). Note the steps down before you reach the drop-off from the double-ramp into the lava pool.

Much of the route is uncovered, so bring your ghastly umbrella, bow, or emergency dig-a-hole security pick if that's a concern. Once you get there, feel free to climb up atop the red hill to use the sturdy cobblestone panorama viewing tower for enjoying the scenic view:

And take a nice 360 degree panoramic snapshot to send to your family and friends back home:

( Click here to view full image in high-resolution )

Last edited by Rhof; 22nd June 2012 at 04:29 PM.
Rhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 04:02 PM   #17 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Cartographer
Minecraft
Competent - Post: 464

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorontar View Post
While the comments on villages are a bit out of date (but the CoC is and states how villages can be modified), see Clarification on nether fortresses, abandoned mines, strongholds and villages

See also Nether Brick

Sorontar
Thanx for the clarification Sor, hence why i asked
Aveege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 04:18 PM   #18 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorontar View Post
I also remind players that we sometimes regenerate sections of the Nether when updating.
Right... and with an X-coordinate of 517 in Nether space, that puts the end of the double-beam ramp at 2136 meters beyond our stable overworld border, not to mention the Fortress itself which is well beyond that point.

I'll look at putting a border on the Nether Map so that it's more readily apparent if one is considering Portal construction outside of the stable bounds.
Rhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 04:26 PM   #19 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhof View Post
I'll look at putting a border on the Nether Map so that it's more readily apparent if one is considering Portal construction outside of the stable bounds.
Players shouldn't be considering portal construction in the Nether anyway.

To quote the CoC
Quote:
Construct nether portals only in the "Overworld", not the Nether
That way, the only portals made are those corresponding to inside the border (pretty much). This also stops islands popping on the map where players make a portal in the Nether in the middle of nowhere, then travel through to outside the Overworld border, generate a new chunk, then get teleported inside the border.

Sorontar

Last edited by Sorontar; 22nd June 2012 at 04:31 PM.