Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29th June 2012, 09:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
EVE Division Vice Captain
Ace - Post: 8807

Lurking
Default Minecraft without internet

My eldest son is majorly interested in Minecraft. The problem is that his dad very rarely has internet (the man does prepaid - don't ask). Some of my son's friends told him he can play it without internet totally free, but I can't see that anywhere.
From what I can see it can be played without internet but you do have to purchase it. Is that right?

thank you Birko for the sig
Ebonytears is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29th June 2012, 11:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5125

Amused

If you have a router with say 4 ports, you can run a multiplayer game over a few computers. I often did that with my daughters before we started playing public servers.

He can also play single player survival or creative without internet.

His friends probably told him about the cracked version, but if he buys it then would get to play on many more servers whenever he gets the chance to be online.

It is a great investment as it's a game you don't get tired of quickly and there are regular content updates.
Old 30th June 2012, 11:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1250

Amused

I was going to answer and then realised I wasn't entirely sure, as I am never without a connection and couldn't definitively answer, but you can definitely play without buying it, but it is a rather old and outdated version, so a lot of features arent in it.

Try this support question on the minecraft.net site, I think this answers what you need to know.

Mojang | Can I try Minecraft before I buy it?-

If you buy the game, you can download it and play it from your hard drive, or alternatively just use the free version in a similar way.

Last edited by MadMax; 30th June 2012 at 03:04 PM.
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2012, 12:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
EVE Division Vice Captain
Ace - Post: 8807

Lurking

Thanks guys!

My eldest lives with his dad who is a non-gamer and barely knows how to turn a computer on. Half the time they have no internet connection and, when they do it's pay-by-use (I've talked to him about that but he's not listening). Our son, on the other hand is a full Nerd/Geek gamer

He is now going to buy the game and download it.

thank you Birko for the sig
Ebonytears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2012, 02:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 617

One thing to note is that once he installs the game, he will need to log in at least once while connected in order to activate it for offline play. Then after that, when he tries to log in and it fails for no internet, he will be given a choice to play in offline mode.