Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 2nd July 2012, 02:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 106

Default Frontier Bukkit Config?

I've just started reading about the various mods/pluggins, etc for Minecraft, and last night put up my own wimpy server to try out with SuperFlatland.

Are there any details available for what specific config we run on Frontier? The "Our Worlds..." post notes we're running Bukkit for 1.2.5; but is there a list of plugins we're also using or configuration details to provide some perspective on what we've got here if I wanted to replicate or change it elsewhere?
Rhof is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 2nd July 2012, 02:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 280

hmm don't mean to sound rude in any way but good luck with that
TAZZROK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2012, 03:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOUROK View Post
hmm don't mean to sound rude in any way but good luck with that
Hmm, I do mean to sound totally clueless, since I am, but uh... why? Are such details important to keep secret for security, or so esoteric that nobody really knows? I would think our admins know what we're running. If it's private info, then no biggie. Just curious about what's running in the Frontier environment that I have so much experience playing in.

Or were you referring to the likelihood of surviving in SuperFlatland for more than 30 minutes?
Old 2nd July 2012, 05:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
Division Captain
Minecraft
Elite - Post: 2808

Grumpy

The admins don't tell us what's on the servers for plugins. I get the impression that this is so that no one can go looking for exploits that target our setup.

Given the prevalence of griefing on other Minecraft servers, I figure that it's a good thing.
Irimar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2012, 06:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

Ah. Well, in that case never mind. I'm not a big fan of security through obscurity, but I can appreciate the sentiment. So let me try a different tact...

Can anyone suggest a good forum or source on the practical usage of mods/plugins for someone who wants to learn the ropes or keep current, without being immediately overwhelmed? I've found a lot of the links in Sorontar's occasional posts interesting and useful.
Old 2nd July 2012, 06:28 AM   #6 (permalink)

On second thought; let me directly ask the underlying question that put this into my head in the first place. Is any one are of which mod/plugin, or care to recommend one, that allows players to use "/tp spawn" and "/tp home"?
Old 2nd July 2012, 09:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
Division Captain
Minecraft
Elite - Post: 2808

Grumpy

I use CommandBook on my server. I have also had a good experience with Essentials in the past.
Irimar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2012, 01:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9118

Espesh is correct. We don't tell you all the Bukkit plugins we use because
1) you only need to know the commands to play, not the plugins
2) security of the system so people can't exploit bugs or things we haven't though of
3) security of the system so you don't know the admin tools we use.

CommandBook, Essentials, General are all ones that people have been using. They each have their pluses and minuses.

There are a number of API-like backbones around. Bukkit is that main one. Canary, Spout and Forge are other ones. MinecraftEDU is for classroom environments. 'Better Than Wolves' is a standalone mod. These are normally actually hacks of the Minecraft code, or complete rewrites that can mirror Minecraft behaviour (plus more).

With the move by Mojang towards both single player and multiplayer both running a server/client pair, and their own development of an API, some of these may have some hiccups in the coming months and may not be sustained.

Sorontar

Sorontar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2012, 02:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Architect
Minecraft
Competent - Post: 396

Irimar's onto it. All credit to him..

I can't add much that hasn't been said, I did have a small private bukkit server running the Essentials plugin, that's a decent "all rounder" that'll add the warps and tp stuff your after and is fairly easy to set up..
Espesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2012, 02:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9118

Oops, sorry Irimar. I did mean you were correct.

Essentials has always been an all-in-one package, like the Hmod we first used in the division, but to some people it is "too much"-in-one.

Sorontar

Sorontar is online now   Reply With Quote