Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 7th July 2012, 01:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 74

Cold
Default More Dwarf Fortress (Diggy Hole) spinoffs

The mutant lovechild of Dwarf Fortress (for it's awesome complexity) and Minecraft (for it's playablity and blocky graphics) would probably be my favourite game in the world, so I"m keeping an eye on developing DF spinoffs.

ATM I am keeping an eye on these two:
Towns
Gnomoria

Towns is a bit simplistic at the moment, but I've played it a few times and it's a good distraction. Gnomoria I'm yet to play.
Anyone else have any suggestions for mining/building type games that are worth keeping an eye on?

Also on the side I am writing a sci-fi story which also describes a multiplayer Minecraft mod that I'd love to play (actually, it's a little complex for a mod - I'm kinda thinking of it as the next 'flavour' of Minecraft after vanilla). It's interesting coming up with new mobs and coming up with more challenges for multiplayer. I'll post the first few chapters when they are polished
Trowzers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 7th July 2012, 03:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5122

Amused

If you have an Ipod, Eden has some interesting ideas. Very similar concept to Minecraft in the way it looks and the gameplay. It was released in a basic form and updates add new content.

http://edengame.net/

Last edited by HenriDeacon; 7th July 2012 at 03:59 PM.
HenriDeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2012, 03:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Architect
Minecraft
Competent - Post: 396

Terraria?

Terraria

It's not as deep in strategy as the others, but it's basically a side-scrolling version of MC and has way more weapons, magic, loot and crafting.
Can be played multiplayer and your world saved like MC.
Also terrain and world generation is random and huge (not endless).
Espesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2012, 04:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 74

Cold

I have played Terraria (205hrs according to Steam - oops) It's a fun game and about the only diggy game I can play with my best friend as for some reason Minecraft makes her seasick. I loved the amount of items in Terraria, but it plays much more like a sidescroller (amount of enemies/bosses) than an adventure/exploration/building game. 2D is a big restriction when it comes to building stuff.

I have an Android so no Eden for me. I tried the Minecraft demo on it but I didn't really enjoy it as the controls seemed too fiddly.
Trowzers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2012, 04:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5122

Amused

I have an old phone, so i just play Eden on my ipod touch. Keeps me occcupied on the bus.
Old 7th July 2012, 05:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Cartographer
Minecraft
Competent - Post: 468

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trowzers View Post
for some reason Minecraft makes her seasick. .
In Options->Video Settings there is "View Bobbing". Turn that off and it should fix your friends seasick problem. I have a friend who suffered from the same thing.
Aveege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2013, 01:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
Dangerous - Post: 611

Lurking

I have been playing Gnomoria and ilike it, never could get behind Dwarf Fortress ghetoness. I mean Gnomoria is like NES level of graphics but the game itself feels like a game that was made after doss was phased out. DF makes my old doss gaming days on my windows 95 pc look like a futuristic world of gaming. Lowest tech game I played since I retired the family's Atari at age 5 was Day of the Tentacle, or the old school Indiana Jones doss games.

Gnomoria is refereed to as a milder down version of DF but I think since its still alpha will compete with it before its done, I also suspect that come 2015 or earlier it will be further along then DF that has been around for almost a decade, and still looks like my grandpa developed it back when he was a doss programmer.
Old 27th July 2013, 02:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 639

Inspired

If you like Terraria, you may want to check out Epic Inventor.

For Dwarf Fortress fans, I found A Game of Dwarves to be a nice distraction as well.

My fav game at the moment is Staudsoft's game.
Old 27th July 2013, 07:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1250

Amused

Saw this today:
About :: King Arthur's Gold
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2013, 04:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 566

Amused

This made me look around and also found:
Timber and Stone
Which looks like it might be cool when a little bit further along.
Also Stonehearth | Stonehearth Development Blog which got some significant Kickstarter funding but looks like it will be end of 2013 before it is available in Beta.