Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16th July 2012, 05:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9246

Default TOG Minecraft Olympics

One event I have had in my mind for a while is to run a world where we can do the TOG Minecraft Olympics. Since we will have time between when Minecraft 1.3 arrives and we can update our servers, and the same time will be during the London Olympics, I think this will be a good event to run whilst we wait.

We have previously seen Yogcast do sport on old versions of Minecraft (Minecraft - Yog-olympics Part 1, Pig-Rodeo and Dodgit - YouTube). Does anyone know of a more up-to-date alternative world? Or would you like to devote a week to developing one ourselves?

Any suggestions of sports we should do and how we should run the event? Perhaps over multiple days?

Sorontar

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 16th July 2012, 06:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4025

Cheeky

I think that would be great.

You can download their map (Yog-Olympics |), but I think we'd need to make our own world so we can have more than one person competing at once. Some of the redstone wizards can do the fancy circuitry. So some events would have to be modified to allow for more players.

As for spots, yogscast did:
archery
rodeo (pig racing)
kayak (boat racing through rapids)
sumo (stand on a beam and push the other player off)
obstacle course
wall-climbing
minecart racing (buttons change track to give advantages)
swimming (which was an underwater lever race)
"Dodgit" - (piston game where you have to avoid the pistons pushing you off)
spleef

we could do all those, and we could add some more - like minigolf The obstacle course could be made more difficult by adding pistons so that there is an element of timing involved for some parts.

Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2012, 06:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1250

Amused

Soccer/netball/rugby:

With the mini-golf that we set up on ice, you coud easily modify this concept to be soccer or ice-hockey or any team ball sport etc.

So, we build a soccer field completely on ice.
With an empty inventory, and preferably players with 2 team skins to assist identification of team mates(tricky to get this happening).

Using any item as a ball, e.g. a snowball.

The player who has the ball in their inventory is not allowed to carry the ball (i.e. not allowed to move once he/she has possession, I guess more like netball in concept), he must throw the ball to a teammate, who again must stop when he has the ball, and you keep passing the ball via teammates until close enough to throw it through the goals. Opponents try to get close to intercept the pass.

Long jump/Triple jump:

Create a deep pit one block wide.
All competitors jump over it. Noone will miss this. Except maybe Bazz.
Then we widen the pit to 2 blocks. Anyone falling in the pit is eliminated.
Then 3 wide, better get your extra running speed happening, as well as timing the jump.

If 3-wide is the longest anyone can conceivably jump (I don't know the limit), then you keep making everyone attempt it until all but one is left. Set a hard limit of the number of attempts, at which point there are joint winners if more than one is still in the competition.

You could also have a triple jump, three consecutive pits.

[edit: A further thought is using some pressure plate mastery to light up the distance jumped. Also raise the side you jump from.]

Kayak:

On top of a basic all in kayak race you can have a time trial, and we make gates to go through, missing a gate incurs a 10 second penalty. I think they also have red or blue gates, and depending what colour you go forward through or go around and come back through. Needs someone timing it, and official/s declaring a missed gate/count of gates missed.. Could actually work as an all-in race, pretty funny to watch people trying to get thru one gate. Needs people to not cheat and miss gates.

Last edited by MadMax; 16th July 2012 at 07:15 PM.
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2012, 06:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

As we saw on the Kelly Gang challenge, the different armour types can easily identify teams
- the Leatherbacks
- the Ironclads
- the Golden Leprechauns
- the Diamond Cutters
- the Chain Gang (need creative mode to get (chain)maile armour)

Old 16th July 2012, 07:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorontar View Post
As we saw on the Kelly Gang challenge, the different armour types can easily identify teams
- the Leatherbacks
- the Ironclads
- the Golden Leprechauns
- the Diamond Cutters
- the Chain Gang (need creative mode to get (chain)maile armour)
Good idea
Old 16th July 2012, 07:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Here's one world already prepared, but we have many more events to do.

Old 16th July 2012, 07:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5139

Amused

Remember the original 'It's a Knockout' with Fiona MacDonald, we could create all kinds of fun events.

I also miss World4 a lot, maybe we could fire that up for a few days

Last edited by HenriDeacon; 16th July 2012 at 07:47 PM.
HenriDeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2012, 09:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Yes, I even remember when the Royal family "participated" in the British version of It's a Knockout.

What is it about World4 that interests you and is relevant to this discussion? It might have been deleted or may still be in the backups, being a temporary world.

Sorontar

Old 16th July 2012, 09:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

Amused

In archery: I was watching a yogscast olympics, and something to take note is that the arrows hit a spot then glitch move. Best to take note where they originally hit rather than where they glitch to.

Last edited by MadMax; 17th July 2012 at 12:04 AM.
Old 16th July 2012, 09:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5139

Amused

I was meaning if we needed a temp map to construct the Olympics, then World4 would be as good as any, and is a personal favorite as it contains my sand city .