Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30th July 2012, 01:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9246

Default TOGlympics - how shall we run it?

Okay, the construction of the TOGlympics event sites has been going really well so now I would like some suggestions on how to run the "competition" next weekend.

I am thinking of running two "official" sessions as a Divisional get-together - one on Saturday night and the other on Sunday afternoon. This is to try and make sure there is less chance of people missing out completely. However, what we do on those two days has two main issues - time and teams.

Length/Time of events

Some events can be run quickly, like rowing or swimming races. They allow multiple contestants at once. Other events are more drawn out because they have multiple stages (e.g. mini golf) or can only have a small amount of contestants (e.g. fencing, high diving). The marathon is by its nature a lengthy race.

So my concern is how much can we fit in if we only want to fill in a couple of hours. Three hours would be the absolute maximum I think I could ask you to stay on the server for. Two hours is the preferred length.

As a result, we won't be able to fit all the events in each night, so I suspect we will need to split them between nights.

Playing as Teams

We like competing as individuals. As individuals we can make silly names for the countries we represent (thanks to Obsi for that idea) and may be make a row of flags for them. However, some events are team events (e.g. fowl hockey, any relays). Other events can be run as team events using a points system (e.g. archery, fishing). So the question is how do we account for team sports when working out the "victor" of the games?

One day for individuals, one for teams?

My first idea is to run one day for individuals and only correspond to the key individual events. The Marathon can be the final one.

The other day can be for the team sports, starting with the team-only sports then working on the other ones until time is up. The teams can be decided on the day for those who turn up. Depending on numbers, we could have 2, 3 or 4 teams, each marked in non-combat environments by different coloured armour.

Your thoughts?

Any way, they are my initial thoughts. What are your suggestions? If you like mine, which would you want first, the individual day or the team day?

Sorontar

Last edited by Sorontar; 30th July 2012 at 02:17 AM.
Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 1st August 2012, 01:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5139

Amused

I am available to run the Archery, Skeet Shooting, High Dive and Hunt/Fish/Gather on either Saturday Afternoon or Sunday Night. The 4 events would only take around 45 mins total, less depending on turnout.

If we are short of time we can just do the Archery and Hunt/Fish/Gather within around 20-25 mins then move on to sports hosted by other players.

>> Archery <<

5 Targets, shoot an arrow at each from left to right.

Do that 4 times (20 arrows total) for a maximum score of 100 points.

Arrows are scored by the colored block directly below the arrow.

Red 5 points, Yellow 3 points, White 1 point.

There are Medium and Advanced Difficulty platforms for the event, so if there is a smallish turnout will run a seperate event from each.

>> Hunt / Fish / Gather <<

Shoot 6 chickens with a bow, catch 6 fish, then make 6 bowls of mushroom soup (mushrooms under the trees behind archery). First 3 players back to the starting point with 6 fish, 6 raw chicken, 6 soup are Gold, Silver, Bronze.

Plenty of bows/ arrows / rods / bowls provided.

>> High Dive <<

Survive diving into 3 pools of water surrounded by Lava from 2 heights.

Medium platform 2 points, High platform 3 points.

Highest score wins from the 6 dives.

>> Skeet Shooting <<

2 Chances to hit each of 5 skeets from the Medium and Advanced platforms (20 arrows).

Highest total wins (you only get 1 score per skeet even if you hit it twice).

Maybe 2pm Saturday Afternoon (GMT +10)

Last edited by HenriDeacon; 1st August 2012 at 03:58 PM.
HenriDeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2012, 03:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1250

Amused

With the long distance kayaking/rowing course (starts next to swimming pool) I have not got a working starting gate mechanism yet(only experimented half-heartedly in 2 places). No idea if I will get back to it in time so feel free to play with it anyone. Worst case just get people to start in a line and say go.

The course is set up so that no short cuts can be taken, short of getting out of the boat, so just needs someone to start the race and determine the winner/s over the finish line. Starter has time to move to the finish line.

High Dive: I had about 15 goes at it and not once could I land in the water! lol

Archery: You need a definitive ruling on how it will be scored due to the arrow movement after hitting bug. You really need to test this thoroughly before the event.

Last edited by MadMax; 1st August 2012 at 03:29 PM.
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2012, 03:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Amused

Arrows are scored by the colored block directly below the arrow.

Red 5 points, Yellow 3 points, White 1 point.

Yeah the High Dive is really hard I can make the water polls 2x2 instead on 2x1 if needed.

Last edited by HenriDeacon; 1st August 2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old 1st August 2012, 03:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

The problem with all of these will be how many people turn up and how many can go at once. For the archery, we will need a referee to call the shots and then collect the arrows. Could we have four people firing at once?

High dive can have people jumping from multiple levels which is good. Successes might have to be announced (misses will probably be obvious with the death messages).

I was thinking Sat night as Aussies tend to do things during the day on Saturdays, and Sun afternoon as that I imagine is more convenient to non-Aussies. However, if people have other times prefered I will consider them. I would like to sort this out by tomorrow so I can finalise announcements etc.

TNT trampoline

I haven't finished this yet, but the idea is each competitor could possibly have two or three shots. The idea is to try and land on a platform as high as possible. It is like high diving in reverse.

Fowl Hockey

This is a team sport, we could limit to 5-10 minutes per match or sudden death. There is one chicken on the field. Players throw snowballs at it to try and force them into their goal. Once a goal is scored, the lights turn on and the chicken is assassinated by a dispenser full of arrows (which then turns the light off).

I am debating whether to add the pig-riding basketball as another team sport.

Golf

This was started by miniObsi with a little help from Obsi but I doubt it will be finished. The idea is the same as for the minio-golf near spawn on Frontier. Players can stand or jump up and drop a snowball onto the course. Their next shot is from where-ever they pick the ball up. The hole is completed when the snowball lands in the hole.

Sorontar

Last edited by Sorontar; 1st August 2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old 1st August 2012, 04:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Amused

I just doubled the size of each diving pool.

I will be able to collect the arrows and score. Having more than one archer will be difficult to keep track of though.
I'll try to grab a spare competitor for archery whenever convenient between other events and keep track of scores.

Last edited by HenriDeacon; 1st August 2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old 3rd August 2012, 11:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Since no-one else has indicated any time preferences, we'll go with
Saturday 2pm (Aussie EST, GMT +10) and Sunday 8pm. I'll decide later today what sports to try to do when, but we'll try to do some of Henri's and end with the cross-country marathon on Saturday. Depending on attendance and timing, we might do a team sport then. Sunday will then be as many of the remainder as we can do and perhaps some repeats for those who were left out.

Sunday can be shifted to 2pm or 4pm if it is more convenient for people.

We do plan to keep a score of how people go in each sport, so we can hopefully have a victor.

Please make sure that all your chests are stocked for any events you make. Also, make sure that instructions on how to run your events are either at the event or posted in this forum. After all, this world will be released to the world after this weekend.

Sorontar

Old 3rd August 2012, 05:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Max, what happens if someone crashes and their boat is destroyed?

Sorontar

Old 3rd August 2012, 05:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Cartographer
Minecraft
Competent - Post: 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorontar View Post
Max, what happens if someone crashes and their boat is destroyed?

Sorontar
I was also wondering about this.
Mayby a temp mod to address this?
[MECH] PickBoat v0.4 - change boat destruction behavior [1.1] | Bukkit Forums
Aveege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2012, 06:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aveege View Post
I was also wondering about this.
Mayby a temp mod to address this?
[MECH] PickBoat v0.4 - change boat destruction behavior [1.1] | Bukkit Forums
Personally I wouldn't mind each player being given 3-5 boats and allowed to use a new one if their previous one gets destroyed. It takes time so it is not to their advantage.

Sorontar