Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10th August 2012, 09:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9243

Default Power beacons in 1.4?

In last night's snapshot, Jens included another special block - a beacon block. While still largely under development, this block has to be placed on pyramids of diamonds and can grant players special powers, like Speed, Haste, Resistance, Jump Boost, and Strength and a secondary power like Regeneration.

Beacon Block - Minecraft Wiki

The light from the beacon shines directly up to the top of the world.

The amount of powers and the range over which they remain active before decaying over time depends on the height of the pyramid.

Jen said in Twitter: (https://twitter.com/jeb_/status/233839410536382464)

Quote:
Salman A. Khan ‏@FusionX9000: Can we get a cheaper block similar to the WIP block which can be used as a beacon?

No, the beacon is intended as a bragging / endgame block

To avoid the beacon pyramid crash in the snapshot, always make sure you choose a secondary power when it's available. Sorry about that

njits23 ‏@njits23: will the pyramids always be that expensive? =P Because then I'll have to start gathering resources for it

Yes

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12th August 2012, 06:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Division Captain
Minecraft
Lethal - Post: 5704 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Lurking

hmm it has potential, but I would liek to see more things from mods like BTW or Tek ones included
DarkDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2012, 07:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5138

Amused

At 9 diamonds a block, that is a LOT of diamonds !
Old 13th August 2012, 09:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 634

Tired

I'll have to check my supplies...
Old 13th August 2012, 01:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1250

Amused

Sounds like a community project to me, donations anyone?

Perfect spot for it is in my temple hehe
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2012, 02:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

To quote the wiki:
Quote:
When the player crafts blocks of diamond, emerald, gold or iron and places them in a pyramid shape beneath the beacon block, it will emit a beam of light into the sky and can apply temporary buffs to the player once activated.
... To activate it, place either an iron ingot, a gold ingot, an emerald or a diamond into the GUI slot.
So it actually isn't that hard in 1.3 to just do a bit of trading with villagers, get lots of emeralds, then make emerald pyramids and use emerald to buff you. Note though that there isn't yet a way of crafting the beacon block (and may never be) and that

Quote:
Effects will be applied to the player while within a radius of the beacon, with larger pyramids giving larger areas-of-effect. The radius is approximately 16 blocks, 24 blocks, 32 blocks, and 40 blocks from the smallest pyramid to the largest. The radius takes the player's y-coordinate into account.
... The item will be consumed and the beacon begin providing the power to nearby players when "Done" is clicked.
So the range is limited and anyone within that area of effect may be buffed.

Anyone willing to test this at home?

Sorontar

Old 14th August 2012, 08:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2945

Grumpy

What kind of tests are you looking for? I've got a 1.3 install I can play around with.
Irimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2012, 10:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irimar View Post
What kind of tests are you looking for? I've got a 1.3 install I can play around with.
More a curiosity than anything about whether it buffs anyone within its range (ie. not just the closest player). I also saw a rumour that buffed players can move outside of the range but it starts a countdown. When the countdown stops, so does the buff. Not sure whether you can travel through the Nether when buffed.

As it is, this is just a snapshot and I suspect there may be many changes before the final form is decided.

Sorontar

Old 17th August 2012, 03:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2945

Grumpy

As it stands now, it looks like everyone in range is affected by the beacon. It seems to provide an 8 second countdown on the buff that renews every 4 seconds. So if you go out of range, the effect stays active until that 8 second timer finishes running down. When you enter the range, the effect doesn't apply immediately, but rather comes on the next 4 second 'pulse' from the beacon.

Last edited by Irimar; 17th August 2012 at 03:39 AM. Reason: Spelling
Irimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2012, 10:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irimar View Post
As it stands now, it looks like everyone in range is affected by the beacon. It seems to provide an 8 second countdown on the buff that renews every 4 seconds. So if you go out of range, the effect stays active until that 8 second timer finishes running down. When you enter the range, the effect doesn't apply immediately, but rather comes on the next 4 second 'pulse' from the beacon.
Thanks Irimar.

Sorontar