Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21st August 2012, 11:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9122

Default Minecraft tale in PCGamer

Minecraft experiment devolves into devastating resource war | PC Gamer

There are many tales of how servers have handled players and set up their worlds. This tale is of how the players dealt with a resource-limited world and how the game became aggressive and competitive. I am very glad we don't use our worlds like this.

Sorontar

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22nd August 2012, 12:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Architect
Minecraft
Competent - Post: 396

I love this. That's if it's legit.

Like a microcosm of modern society. Wars fought over dwindling resource, crafty players monopolising rare items and resource and using that as their advantage in confrontation. What I like most is that when it really came down to it they all banded together to fight the world, rather than each other. Sans those few rich guys who I'm sure died wealthy, but lonely.

Bedrock walls around Wild West?

I'd really love to do something like this, I love the HG events but they are a different ball-game in that they lack some of the cool MC stuff like base-building and resource gathering, also respawns. I know that's what WW is about but I think having a start/stop time like this scenario helps.

Is the Kelly-Gang world still around somwehere? Would love to run that again with more than 2 teams and limited mats. Alot like this experiment..
Espesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2012, 01:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9122

Yes, the article has now got text added to it which starts as:
Quote:
Details have emerged that seem to suggest that the experiment was a hoax. Moderators on reddit.com/r/games have marked the thread with a False Information tag, and user dimmidice has presented a list of evidence that lead him to this conclusion
We could run something like this if enough people were willing to join in. However, I suspect that you would need at least 10-20 people, no mods and a lot of time. This experiment was run over more than five weeks in stages.

Quote:
In a very coordinated experiment 30 players spent 2-5 hours playing in a 350x350 world trapped in bedrock. To keep everything fair the server was only running when everyone was available to play.
They also didn't know what they were doing. They weren't told to be competitive or aggressive. We would have expectations they didn't have.

As I say, by all-means present a suggested scenario to the division and we will see what we can do, but you might have trouble getting the level of interest and dedication required to run it the same way they did.

Sorontar

ps. Yes, the Kelly Gang world should still be available.

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2012, 02:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Architect
Minecraft
Competent - Post: 396

Cheers Sor. Yeh will have to suss it out, havn't had too much in-game time lately due to another taking over but I had a great time at the last HG as always and I've been popping in trying to finish the city building I've got too. Can't keep away for too long lol.

If we did it I don't think we could do it as "authentically" as they have, but I think rather than do a few set rounds of competition perhaps a solid (2-3 hours?) afternoon or night of unlimited respawns, normal MC with added PvP and a couple of goals could keep it going and interesting.

HD's got some great stuff in the works I'm sure and I can't wait to play the city games, won't be doing anything until I finish them either, but I'll have a chat to him too and others and I'm sure if the numbers are there we could run something similar
Espesh is offline   Reply With Quote