Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10th September 2012, 12:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 319

Default Design Star Challenge, anyone?

Anyone interested in a simple design competition on our frontier server with prizes?

I used to watch Home and Garden TV with my wife, though with the new kid, tv time is very minimal.

There is a show called Design Stars, that is pretty cool to watch:
HGTV Design Star Episode 2: My White Box Challenge Scoop | Design Happens

The show had a very interesting challenge where the contestants had to do their best with an empty white (box) room.

I'd like to do something like this in TOG Minecraft, if anyone is interested in playing.

I am going to build Villa M2 by Jonas Lindvall, which is a cool house by a Swedish architect. If anyone is interested in playing a Design Star Challenge, I will build a building next-door that uses the white box setting from the tv show.

So the contest will go something like this:

Each player gets a white room to do anything they want INSIDE of.

I will supply each contestent with a chest filled with random items, blocks, materials.

Every player gets the same items to use. No outside items may be brought in. I might provide a furnace or 2 to use and a crafting table or 2.

At the end, the winners will be chosen by 3 judges based on Originality, Creativity, and overall Design.

Prizes will be simple: Diamond tool of choice for the winner, Gold block for second, and a set of iron tools for third. Maybe I can work some other prizes in later.

Right now, I am only concerned if people are interested in playing. I'll have the build done by the first week in October and the competition can take place the second or third weekend. I'd think 2 days or so for the competition would be good considering the differences in time zones.

I am just brainstorming some rules, but other than the 2 day time limit, only using the items in the chest, and not going outside of the actual room are the only ones I think will be in place.

Anyway, post something here if you have any ideas or want to play or judge.

If this works, and I cannot see why it would not, maybe we can do it a few times and the overall winner will get something really cool.

www.anderchunking.com
segreto is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10th September 2012, 01:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Cartographer
Minecraft
Competent - Post: 464

Im not the best interior designer but always willing to try and join a event. Aslong as nothing comes up i dont see why not to try it out Count me in.
Aveege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2012, 02:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9172

Sounds like a good idea, but you could make things a lot easier if you did it on the Sanctuary server (with the prize being for Frontier and public aclaim). There, you can set things up without having to worry about finding the resources or having visitors from the local mob. Or are you worried that someone might use a few more blocks of wood than they are supposed to?

Sorontar

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2012, 06:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5113

Amused

I'm keen if it's on a weekend.
Old 11th September 2012, 12:58 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorontar View Post
Sounds like a good idea, but you could make things a lot easier if you did it on the Sanctuary server (with the prize being for Frontier and public aclaim). There, you can set things up without having to worry about finding the resources or having visitors from the local mob. Or are you worried that someone might use a few more blocks of wood than they are supposed to?

Sorontar

Sanctuary is boring. I think design is more exciting when there is a possiblity of being blown up.

www.anderchunking.com
Old 11th September 2012, 01:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9172

Quote:
Originally Posted by segreto View Post
Sanctuary is boring. I think design is more exciting when there is a possiblity of being blown up.
[shrugs] Each to their own. That is why we have two worlds.

If you have any issues getting things prepared, talk to a mod/admin.

Sorontar

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2012, 08:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2752

Innocent

Id be interested to play.
(Would make the sugestion that you specify a texture pack to be used for the build, or make it clear which texture pack will be used for judging)
Old 11th September 2012, 09:02 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazz View Post
Id be interested to play.
(Would make the sugestion that you specify a texture pack to be used for the build, or make it clear which texture pack will be used for judging)
Thinking plain vanilla for judging and videos. Ill take snap shots in other textures if it makes a difference to the player. I know my stuff looks better in Pulito, but for the competition, just plain vanilla is going to be the only way to be fair.

www.anderchunking.com
Old 13th September 2012, 12:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Architect
Minecraft
Competent - Post: 396

I'm up for this Segreto, sounds interesting!

Although I would like some kind of gentleman's agreement that we don't use forums, google, 2nd monitors etc. to copy designs though, inspiration is fine but I'd rather see purely player created designs than some eye-gasm, red-stone technical knockout piece that's been copied from somewhere/someone else..

Very cool idea, looking forward to it.
Espesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2012, 01:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espesh View Post
I'm up for this Segreto, sounds interesting!

Although I would like some kind of gentleman's agreement that we don't use forums, google, 2nd monitors etc. to copy designs though, inspiration is fine but I'd rather see purely player created designs than some eye-gasm, red-stone technical knockout piece that's been copied from somewhere/someone else..

Very cool idea, looking forward to it.

With the items that will be put in the chests, I doubt any youtube stuff will help.

www.anderchunking.com