Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 1st November 2012, 10:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9116

Default Division anniversary, Friday 9th Nov

Friday 9th November is the anniversary of the Division. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how we could celebrate it.

Obsi recently suggested in the Admin forum that we could have a day when people had Creative mode on a temporary copy of Frontier so they fly around and have a better look at people's work. Do you like that idea?

I was wondering if in contrast, we can switch on monsters and change a copy of Sanctuary to a survival server at the same time (with warps kept). The nice and peaceful town may no longer be so.

Would someone like to set up a PvP combat challenge in Wild West for the Saturday? Or anything else?

Any other suggestions?

Last year we switched to two temporary worlds for a few days - CreepyCreative (a version of our first Creative world) and Tir na Tog (our first use of flying and infinite Creative inventories).

Happy anniversary to the Minecraft Division!

Anniversary Server: Tir Na Tog

What do you want to do this year?

Sorontar

Last edited by Sorontar; 1st November 2012 at 10:24 PM.
Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 1st November 2012, 11:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2752

Innocent

I like Obsi's Idea but would take it one step further.

Super Fun Splody* Night!

Full creative - we give people time to rig their creations with all the TNT and destructive devices their hearts desire, then a tour of the server, admire the creations and from a nice vantage point, watch the creator reduce it to rubble....then repeat at the next venue.

Pros:
# A sense of tradition - we did this on one of the very first worlds
# Community - we build in the largest part alone - show off in real time what you have built with those who share your world
# Overdose of splody*ness**
# Artistic....maybe - who knows what strange patterns may reveal themselves in the majesty of destruction?
# Fun. A simple night of reckless joy with no consequences...wake in the morning, log on and it will all seem like a chaotic noisy dream!

Cons:
(this space left intentionally blank)

*Splody = Explosion abundant - TM Obsi - used with out permission.
**Splodyness = Inherently Splody - eg "That giant stack of TNT just oozes Splodyness"

or

Retro Vintage Uber Times!

Revert the server to a new world spawn...running on an Alpha release!
Play MineCraft like your Nana played it! (or may have if your Nana played Mincecraft a couple of years ago)

Pros:
#Sweet nostalgia - "Hey! remember when you couldnt do anything interesting? this is just like that!)
#Interesting for those who never played alpha

Cons:
#Sour nostalgia - "Hey! remember when you couldnt do anything interesting? this is just like that!)

Hard mode would also not be bad - however after trying it on the Hoggcraft map....just didnt seem that hard?

ahh - the possibilities!
Old 2nd November 2012, 01:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4009

Cheeky

The problem when we had that super fun 'splody night.... was that we had the super fun 'splody explosions, but by the time the server restarted itself and everyone reconnected.... all you got to see was the resulting hole in the ground. So you couldn't appreciate the actual explosions... it was more:

"has he detonated it yet?"
*server dies*
"ohh, he must have"
.... waiting ....
"ahh back on, ohh.... missed the fun... still.... that is a very nice hole in the ground"

-- while I agree blowing stuff up is a lot of fun, having to reconnect several times and missing most of the actual explosions.... takes some of the fun away.

Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2012, 04:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Innocent

I wonder if that is still the case?
Old 2nd November 2012, 07:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4009

Cheeky

I imagine with the amounts of TNT some people would be likely to use, it would stuff crash the server.... maybe not every detonation, but I imagine it would go down several times over the night.

Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2012, 08:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5113

Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsi View Post
I imagine with the amounts of TNT some people would be likely to use, it would stuff crash the server.... maybe not every detonation, but I imagine it would go down several times over the night.
On TOG Olympics we used literally thousands of TNT, awesome night and the server handled it quite well.

If we can constrain ourselves to 1 or 2 stacks of TNT per detonation it should not be a problem.

I would love to blow up the USS Enterprise and Empire State Building and film them
Old 4th November 2012, 10:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Innocent

good point - Sor was there when I innocently blew a hole in the world - perhaps the memory management has improved?

and....

Bad point - 2 stacks?
Old 5th November 2012, 12:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9116

Any suggestions from anyone not in the Admin team? Any of these ideas you like?

Even a shrug of the shoulders as "I don't care" helps.

Sorontar

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2012, 01:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Division Captain
Minecraft
Elite - Post: 2805

Grumpy

How do you feel about flipping modes on both servers? Both of those ideas sound fun to me.
Irimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2012, 01:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Innocent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irimar View Post
How do you feel about flipping modes on both servers? Both of those ideas sound fun to me.
Not a bad idea at all!
Would you expect changes made during the period things were flipped to be kept, or rolled back?