Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26th November 2012, 11:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Division Captain
Minecraft
Elite - Post: 2857

Grumpy
Default Ice?

Snow biomes are pretty sparse on Frontier, and they all seem to be lived in. Is there someone who wouldn't mind me coming over and mining out some ice?
Irimar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 27th November 2012, 01:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4012

Cheeky

I'm guessing with a silk touch you can mine it?

Any water that is snowed on will turn to ice (might have to be stationary water). So you can always find a snow area, make an infinite water source for yourself outside of the biome, then use that to supply water to make your ice inside the snow area...

Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2012, 02:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Division Captain
Minecraft

Grumpy

Yes, you can pick it up with silk touch.

I was thinking of mining a largish area and then replacing the water, which isn't hard if you create a rectangular area. Either way, from looking at Tectonicus it seems all the snow/ice biomes on the map are settled. I'd have to work in what is potentially someone else's area no matter what and I wanted to get permission from someone to do so.
Old 27th November 2012, 03:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Guild Leader
Architect
Minecraft
Deadly - Post: 1666

Happy

I don't think its quite that bad actually. Even so this is frontier people don't have to give everyone such a wide space like they have been doing There's a ton of empty space between folks.

Looking at the map I think there is actually an ideal area for it just across the ocean from spawn to the east. Shown in this picture:

Imageshack - snowwo.png

The snow biome extends into the ocean there, and there is also a nice shallow bay that could be mined and restocked quite easily I think. Once the water is replaced itd be like you were never there if your worried about maybe someone building there in the near future.

Last edited by Misnik; 27th November 2012 at 03:11 AM.
Misnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2012, 06:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Guild Leader
Final Fantasy XIV
Lethal - Post: 5561 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Lurking

+1 Mis

If I had snow in my area I would approve...but I don't lol
DarkDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2012, 11:47 AM   #6 (permalink)

Cheeky

Sounds like a plan

Old 27th November 2012, 01:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Division Captain
Minecraft

Grumpy

I've had a fiendish idea. I've just designed and tested, in creative, a device that deploys a 21x15 tray of water using dispensers. I've got it so that the dispensers pull the source block back after the pool stabilizes so that it never needs to be refilled.

I'm going to need a few more materials before I build it, but the principle works.
Old 27th November 2012, 05:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 811

Mellow

Irimar, I have snow nearby. You're welcome to the ice just outside the castle walls; just replace the water as you go/whenever sometime before 2015.
Deweyoxberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2012, 03:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

Cheeky

If that works Irimar, there is some snow at spawn (where we built the golf course) - you might have room for your ice making machine there, which would be a cool thing to have at spawn for everyone to use (no pun intended)

Old 28th November 2012, 04:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Division Captain
Minecraft

Grumpy

I've started building it in the snow biome accross the water east of spawn. I'll be happy for everyone to use it when it's done. I tried putting in a nether portal, but it cross-linked to another. Tomorrow after work I'll do the math and see if it will be possible to manually link it to the nether, but the area of the nether it linked to is pretty densely populated with portals, so maybe not.