Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13th January 2013, 01:54 PM   #471 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8365 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Yeah, I can definitely understand why the server has trouble taking my connection to begin with. It's a lot of stuff to load in my base, and then I crash out of it, and everything has to be unloaded again, for all of 10 seconds until I try to log on again. You can almost hear the server cry.

It feels like if the server allowed the client more time to synchronize you would have a lot less disconnects like this, giving the server an easier time as you wouldn't have to reconnect several times either. It's probably some hardcoded value somewhere that is too restrictive for a high ping connection though, nothing we can do anything about.
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 13th January 2013, 02:45 PM   #472 (permalink)
Division Captain
Survivalist Games (Destiny PS4 Leader)
Dangerous - Post: 861 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Amused

I sometimes think they should back port the Xbox or Pocket version to Windows and Mac OS X.
Write in C++ or Objective C instead of Java and things get more efficient and less likely to memory leak but that would a lot of work to do at this point and I suspect that the Mojang devs aren't very skilled in anything but Java as the Xbox and Pocket versions are being built by other people.
AdmiralTriggerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2013, 05:53 PM   #473 (permalink)
Division Captain
Survivalist Games (Destiny PS4 Leader)
Dangerous - Post: 861 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Amused

Yeah, I'm finishing the construction of the tunnel bore at present.
I propose, for Passenger rail we build at 58 (feet pos) and for freight we run at 50 (feet)
That should allow for quick access for everyone.

I think it should run under all the roads in a criss cross pattern, and we can run lots of signals etc to organise it all, if people want to connect that's up to them, we can just build sidings for each station with boarding track to connect in
AdmiralTriggerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2013, 06:38 PM   #474 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9277

The map has been updated.

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2013, 11:28 PM   #475 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8365 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Railcraft has remote controlled switches which could probably be set up to run off of a computercraft computer. You simply input your destination and the computer calculates which switches should be set.

(Whoever does this can probably put it in their CV )
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2013, 04:14 PM   #476 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4026

Cheeky

ok, just bumping this because we've had another incident of very bad lag. This one again seemed to be contributed greatly by 2 running quarries within a few chunks of each other, with flowing water (this time from a melted Myst glacier mountain behind the quarry, not in the quarry itself), and probably the very large amount of piping spanning the area.

As anyone who has been on the server in the last week can attest - we're getting a LOT of lag problems. We need to try and do things to clear this up for the sake of all the players.

We have now added some rules concerning quarries, to help combat lag. http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/...rry-rules.html

In addition to those, we ask that all players turn off ALL MACHINERY when they leave the server, so that it is not left running while they are not on the server. Admins may (at their discretion) go around turning off people's machines who have left them running and are not online.

We also ask that you be mindful of how many animals, items, machines and any running water in your lot or around your quarries.

Please use the animal pens outside the Myst book room for any wool/meat you may need (replenish animals you kill - you can breed more if you need more wool/meat), instead of keeping your own.

Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 09:54 PM   #477 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 2434

Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaedalusAlpha View Post
Just want to point out, that the further down the rail network is, the less useful it is as it takes longer and longer to actually get to the station from the surface where you're most likely to start from.

If it takes longer time to go down to and up from the stations than just running over there on the ground it sort of takes out the usefulness of a rail network doesn't it?
Surface to station is no issue. Install a water-brake for the drop down (allows use by non-long-fall-booted players.)

Up on the other hand is a bit more onerous, but I think trivial for the coolness of riding in trains. And if you have a jetpack, could just fly up the down-shute.

- OJ
OranjeJus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 09:56 PM   #478 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 2434

Cynical

Oh, and as it so happens, I've been watching a lot of railcraft vids recently as I'm experimenting with it in my game not-online. So if I'm on and someone is laying tracks and linking signals etc, I'll be keen to lend a hand and learn more =P

- OJ
OranjeJus is offline   Reply With Quote