The Older Gamers Forums

The Older Gamers Forums (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/)
-   Minecraft (Public Forum) (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/minecraft-public-forum/)
-   -   Setting up a Minecraft Server ????? (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/minecraft-public-forum/474462-setting-up-minecraft-server.html)

blacksok 7th January 2013 07:42 PM

Setting up a Minecraft Server ?????

I want to set up an easy server that me and a mate can play on. Just the two of us.

Any reccomendations on how???
Himachi? Or is it not necessary????

Thanks all

Sorontar 7th January 2013 08:25 PM

You and a mate can play using a single player world over a LAN or using a multiplayer world using server.

Single player LAN
  1. One of you start playing a single player world in the setting you both want.
  2. Set the game option to make the world "Open to LAN"
  3. Have the other player chose the LAN world through the multiplayer menu of worlds.
  4. The first player must keep playing to keep the LAN link active. If they leave the world, the LAN connection will shutdown.
Multiplayer server
  1. One player needs to run a Minecraft server program. Mojang provide one from the same source as Minecraft. Another option is Craftbukkit ( Get Bukkit ) ,which is what we use for our Frontier and Sanctuary worlds because it is easy to add Bukkit plugins.
  2. List both you and your friend in the white-list and activate the white-list in the server.properties.
  3. Change any further aspects of the server.properties to define the type of setting you want.
  4. Make the port that the server uses accessible to the net. Hamachi is one option to this. Using a commercial server host is another.
  5. The server will run without anyone actually playing on it.
Hope that helps

Sorontar

HenriDeacon 7th January 2013 08:46 PM

Also consider what kind of biomes you would like near spawn, or the theme of the map (like an island) and try a few map seeds until you get one suitable, or look at seeds others have used. A spawn covered in snow can be really annoying. Or you may like extreme hills which make some spectacular landscape. If building large structures you may prefer wide open spaces.

You can also use pre-generated maps as a base to build from. I used a Hogwarts map as a start on my old Multiplayer server. There are hundreds available for download.

Themed expansions and other mods are also relatively easy to drop into the mods folder.

DaedalusAlpha 7th January 2013 09:07 PM

I'm no expert on the FTB server, but given how easy it is to get the client going, I assume the server is pretty easy to handle as well, no?

In that case maybe the FTB server could be an easy alternative to start with. I mean, if you're not interested in the FTB features, simply don't use them, it's still more or less vanilla minecraft in the bottom :)

Sorontar 7th January 2013 09:21 PM

It is far easier to start simple and build up than start with a complex machine and break it down.

Sorontar

blacksok 7th January 2013 10:37 PM

Thanks Guys, was actually pretty painless

Hardest part was stuffing around trying to get the server to use more than 100 mb of Ram :/

OranjeJus 8th January 2013 09:33 AM

I only just started a server myself (it'll help me test stuff before I barrel ahead and break the TOG one again.) I actually use 1 - 1.5 gig of ram on my server, and assign 2.5 to the client when playing from the same machine.

I hope you went with a proper server instead of through hamachi, but that's only cause I have an intense dislike of hamachi =)

- OJ

DaedalusAlpha 8th January 2013 10:12 AM

I have never really gotten a grip of what hamachi is? From what I understand it's essentially some sort of VPN is it not?

OranjeJus 8th January 2013 10:25 AM

'Essentially'

exekewtable 9th January 2013 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaedalusAlpha (Post 3747137)
I have never really gotten a grip of what hamachi is? From what I understand it's essentially some sort of VPN is it not?

P2P vpn to overcome NAT. uses 5.0.0.0/8 as internal addresses, which belongs to Syria I think... Also includes some client location and finding service of some sort.