Old 21st January 2013, 11:38 PM   #241 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8333 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Came to think of another thing. From what I've heard the sub-blocks you can get by cutting blocks apart in RedPower can be quite rough on the server, so we might want to looking into limiting use of those.

Although I haven't tried it myself so I don't know if it's true or not, but given they aren't standard size I can imagine quite a bit of special cases has to be added to handle them.
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22nd January 2013, 02:14 AM   #242 (permalink)

Is there still the chance that the area outside the main city gets wiped from time to time, or is that removed?
GW2 characters:

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
Old 22nd January 2013, 02:26 AM   #243 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsi View Post
To clarify - under this new plan - the land outside the city wall will *NOT* be regenerated as was previously the plan. So people can go build out there. This is because we have realised the city environment for a server like this is too laggy - so we have decided that while the city idea was a nice one to keep people together and foster a community spirit - having people spread out with their machines and things, is a much better idea.

3rd post down

Minecraft isn't Minecraft after playing Feed The Beast
TAZZROK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 02:53 AM   #244 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Guild Leader
Architect
Minecraft
Deadly - Post: 1667

Happy

Hmm Ive been using several of the new half blocks on my new mtn top house from spawn (on the mindcrack test). They are a bit different, but I like them. Didn't seem to difficult, but then again I don't tend to get a lot of the lag issue for some strange reason that other get even being roughly right in the middle of the distance between the Sever and Daed.
Old 22nd January 2013, 04:11 AM   #245 (permalink)

Right, I knew I had read it, but I couldn't find it reading the first post again
GW2 characters:

Old 22nd January 2013, 04:21 AM   #246 (permalink)

Ok I checked up a bit on it, and as far as I can tell (although I'm by no means an expert) it seems like those blocks are seen as a single block with its own id by the minecraft engine. Then they have item data (which many blocks have) which determines how it actually looks, but that should only be an issue for the client I guess.

So as far as the server goes it shouldn't be a major problem, but as with anything, if used in excess it could probably slow down weaker clients due to the more advanced geometry. But then again, for example a pipe with a pipe cover is probably as bad or often even worse in that regard.
GW2 characters:

Last edited by DaedalusAlpha; 22nd January 2013 at 04:25 AM.
Old 22nd January 2013, 06:54 AM   #247 (permalink)
Division Captain
Minecraft
Lethal - Post: 5642 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaedalusAlpha View Post
Right, I knew I had read it, but I couldn't find it reading the first post again
thats cause it as in the third post. it's how we roll!
DarkDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 09:28 AM   #248 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaedalusAlpha View Post
Came to think of another thing. From what I've heard the sub-blocks you can get by cutting blocks apart in RedPower can be quite rough on the server, so we might want to looking into limiting use of those.

Although I haven't tried it myself so I don't know if it's true or not, but given they aren't standard size I can imagine quite a bit of special cases has to be added to handle them.
just like a tourch or a single fence post only the location in the block changes

Minecraft isn't Minecraft after playing Feed The Beast
TAZZROK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 12:17 PM   #249 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 307

Bored

Its all good. I'm in now and enjoying things.

Emeraldknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 12:58 PM   #250 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 2376

Cynical

Have had no internet for some time while moving house so been trying Mindcrack out SP styles to see how I wish to vote here.

So many mods, don't wish to evaluate them all! (would take too long before I get to post in here) So, from what I've experienced in the original FTB pack and my more recent uses in Mindcrack:

Definately want to keep, because they're what I keep playing with:
Redpower
Factorisation (It's not just barrels, pocket-crafting-table is great, and the craftpacket makers and stampers I like so much more than autocraft tables, even tho they require paper.)
Railcraft
Buildcraft
Industrialcraft
MFFS
Gravisuite
Thermal Expansion
GregTech (tho I can't decide now if I like it over-the-top hard or more like the original FTB pack we were using)
NEI
Extrabiomes
Inventory Tweaks
Rei's Minimap

Definately don't see myself ever using, or don't like the look of:
Xycraft
Portal Gun
VoxelMenu

Everything else, I don't have enough exposure to yet to say one way or the other, tho I have been having fun with some of the new monsters from... Thaumcraft?

- OJ
OranjeJus is offline   Reply With Quote