TOG Latest

Chris Roberts Recognises the Star Cit...

The rising interest in Star Citizen in TOG has gai...

Warthunder heard throughout TOG

The sounds of Warthunder is being heard throughout TOG

Dota 2 Release

DOTA2 Released.

Planetside 2 Release 20-Nov-2012 PST

The long awaited and critically acclaimed PlanetSi...

Division Latest

TOG MindCrack - Mining, Machines, Mag...

TOG's MindCrack Minecraft server offers all that's...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Machines and magic in Minecraft - 'Fe...

Over the vacation period, a "Feed The Beast" Mod p...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Old 24th January 2013, 10:05 AM   #271 (permalink)
Division Captain
Minecraft
Elite - Post: 2661

Grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira Doe View Post
I don't know which mod it was, but I did enjoy being chased by a giant zombie but I don't know how deep or dangerous what ever that mod was goes.
That's Thaumcraft. It's also responsible for the barrow mounds and wisps.
Irimar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 24th January 2013, 11:33 AM   #272 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 652

Mellow

" Let us just worry about getting the initial server up and running."

Hear hear!
Deweyoxberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2013, 02:35 PM   #273 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9015

Added world times to the opening post

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2013, 02:37 PM   #274 (permalink)
Division Captain
Minecraft
Elite - Post: 2661

Grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorontar View Post
Added world times to the opening post
Thanks for that.
Irimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2013, 04:58 PM   #275 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 617

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irimar View Post
Thanks for that.
Seconded.

-Brew
Old 24th January 2013, 11:23 PM   #276 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Okay, the new rules for the Mindcrack world and server are posted in the second post of this thread (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/...ml#post3756761). While we encourage people to continue building in the city, we ask that you lessen the amount of machinery and automated processing that you use, simply because the proximity of people's mechanisms all intensify the lag.

You are free to journey within the land outside the city walls and build there but need to stay within the unmarked border. For now, the rectangular border is set at 3000 blocks from (0,0). This means that -3000 < x < 3000 and -3000 < z < 3000. Pay attention to the coordinates given on your minimap. We do not have a mod to tell you when you have reached the border. Players who don't follow this rule may be disciplined.

We also are phasing out crystal chests due to their contribution to lag. From now until the end of Sunday, if you present a crystal chest to a moderator, they will give you a replacement diamond chest for free. What a bargain!

Finally, we will be removing a few of the other items from the Mindcrack mod pack and introducing a few new ones. The mods removed will be:
  • Xycraft
  • Soul Shards
  • Portal Gun (but will try to keep the boots if possible)
  • VoxelMenu
Various settings will be changed to make some items and resources harder and easier to obtain. I'm afraid you'll have to wait and see what those are.

The new features will come from a few new Forge mods that aren't part of the Mindcrack mod pack. While initially we were going to delay introducing these, we actually have been testing them for a couple of weeks and believe they will both improve the performance of the server and enhance your game play. They are:
  • Mystcraft (which you knew about)
  • Additional pipes (so you can teleport items from one pipe to another)
  • Mo's creatures (so you have new animals to hunt, kill and/or ride)
The instructions on how to install the mod pack and these additional mods are all outlined in http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/...ck-server.html. The last two mods will not be added until Saturday, but you will not be able to join the new server without them.

Hope to see lots of you on Saturday 5pm AEDST.

Sorontar

Last edited by Sorontar; 25th January 2013 at 01:10 PM. Reason: apply->able, server -> new server
Old 25th January 2013, 12:11 AM   #277 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Guild Leader
Guild Leader
Wildstar
Deadly - Post: 2277 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Yeehaw

This has just ramped my excitement to 12! (Out of 10)

Especially the advance pipes! Woo Hoo!! Bring on Saturday!
Old 25th January 2013, 12:52 AM   #278 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8254 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Good stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorontar View Post
The last two mods will not be added until Saturday, but you will not be apply to join the server without them.
I think you meant ...be able to join... ?

On a related note, what happens if you have mods active that the server doesn't want you to use (like those that are now disabled but come with mindcrack as standard)? Are they simply silently unloaded?

Edit: Clarification on this if I may;
Quarries, mining turtles, excavating fillers or equivalent automated mining tools and nuclear power stations cannot be used within the city.
Point out that I would want to dig out a new room under my plot but want to use a turtle or filler to do the job (while supervised by me of course), would that be allowed?
Ie, it's not for the purpose of gathering materials but rather to clear out a volume and it is therefore limited in time and volume (only happens once and takes what? 15 minutes?).

Edit2: More questions
If you are not playing, then machines must be deactivated, including turtles,fillers and quarries.
Could it not be argued that if your plot is far away from spawn or any other area where there are other players, then it will be automatically shut down once you log out and the chunks unload? Ie. you don't have to turn machines off manually, they get de facto turned off by you leaving (except quarries of course, as they keep chunks loaded). Sure another player might go past from time to time, but if it happens it happens.

Also related; would it be allowed for a quarry to run for a short while after you've left? I'm thinking if it's hooked up to a small buffer that gets emptied (perhaps via teleport pipe with overflow protection) while you're logged in, but fills up once you leave (as the destination now is an unloaded chunk) and eventually gets full and turns the quarry off.

Finally; are ender chests activated this time? They are safer to use than teleport pipes when it comes to overflow.
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"

Last edited by DaedalusAlpha; 25th January 2013 at 01:20 AM.
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2013, 01:17 AM   #279 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaedalusAlpha View Post
Good stuff
I think you meant ...be able to join... ?
Thanks. Correction made.

Quote:
On a related note, what happens if you have mods active that the server doesn't want you to use (like those that are now disabled but come with mindcrack as standard)? Are they simply silently unloaded?
The client mods should be ignored by the server.

Quote:
Edit: Clarification on this if I may;
Quarries, mining turtles, excavating fillers or equivalent automated mining tools and nuclear power stations cannot be used within the city.
Point out that I would want to dig out a new room under my plot but want to use a turtle or filler to do the job (while supervised by me of course), would that be allowed?
Ie, it's not for the purpose of gathering materials but rather to clear out a volume and it is therefore limited in time and volume (only happens once and takes what? 15 minutes?).
If it is a small room, you can manually clear it out in reasonable time and resources. So no, you can't use automated miners for that. You can use (carefully) mining lasers or other tools.

Sorontar

Old 25th January 2013, 01:44 AM   #280 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaedalusAlpha View Post
If you are not playing, then machines must be deactivated, including turtles,fillers and quarries.
Could it not be argued that if your plot is far away from spawn or any other area where there are other players, then it will be automatically shut down once you log out and the chunks unload? Ie. you don't have to turn machines off manually, they get de facto turned off by you leaving (except quarries of course, as they keep chunks loaded). Sure another player might go past from time to time, but if it happens it happens.
You could argue a lot for specific circumstances but we are trying to make rules which are simple and help the server so everyone can enjoy this mod-heavy server. We don't mind people making mechanical means to help them mine etc. That is part of the features offered by this mod pack. However, we feel that players should be responsible and only use them when they are playing. Think of it being like turning the lights out when you leave the room in real-life.

Quote:
Also related; would it be allowed for a quarry to run for a short while after you've left? I'm thinking if it's hooked up to a small buffer that gets emptied (perhaps via teleport pipe with overflow protection) while you're logged in, but fills up once you leave (as the destination now is an unloaded chunk) and eventually gets full and turns the quarry off.
The quarry is the machine that does the digging. What is done with the resources after that depends on what you have linked it to. If you are leaving the game, you need to switch the quarry off/disconnect it from power. If your piping then runs the resources through various machines
and further steps of processing and sorting, we ask that you design it responsibly so that there won't be excessive numbers of pipes and that the resources will be stored rather than left in pipes when you leave as the processing should also be able to be turned off. Again, think of this as being like not leaving the oven on after dinner.
Quote:
Finally; are ender chests activated this time? They are safer to use than teleport pipes when it comes to overflow.
So far we have not had problems with enderchests. They are presently usable in the FTB world/Mindcrack server.

Sorontar