Old 25th January 2013, 02:36 AM   #281 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8363 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorontar View Post
Again, think of this as being like not leaving the oven on after dinner.
I prefer to see most of my machines to be on a timer (like you could have on your coffee machine) because I know I'm bound to forget turning stuff off when I leave otherwise. This is of course not for everyone, but I like to build advanced systems.

For this reason I want to automate activation and deactivation of machines, but in some cases that automation can not be made to stop the exact moment I leave. Therefore I would prefer a leniency in the rules to the effect that, yes the machines are 100% guaranteed to be utterly and completely stopped "within a reasonable time after leaving", but I can not guarantee they will stop the exact second I leave (and who can really? with items already in transfer and so on).
If that is required you will have to accept me forgetting to turn the switch off entirely from time to time which in my eyes is worse (what if I was gone for a week after that?).

A lamp connected to a switch is good, but a lamp connected to a motion sensor is fool-proof (and is also usually more energy efficient, despite it keeping the light on for a couple of minutes after you leave).
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 25th January 2013, 06:44 AM   #282 (permalink)
Division Captain
Minecraft
Lethal - Post: 5764 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Lurking

Actually an auto off method is far from fool proof, it relies on many variables working perfectly, which in the real world, minecraft world, and even in theory never happens.

yes but a manual switch with a timer safety is fool proof, ish,.

Daed the rules are the rules, they have to be followed, if the rules are broken, then the mods will do what they feel is best, even to the point of deactivating machines etc in order to switch them off, and yes damage may occur.

There is no spirit of the rules here, there is the rules, these are specifically chosen to try and help the server cope. if you need clarification ask, but there are no loop holes and rule breaking will be taken seriously, we need to look after all who use the server, as such we cannot permit something for one based on skill, and not for someone else as we deem them less skilled.
DarkDuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2013, 12:42 PM   #283 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 638

Tired

Quote:
Will use the FTB Mindcrack client plus the following client mods
  • Mystcraft
  • Mo's Creatures
  • Additional Pipes
Sorontar
Will there be any version numbers or links to these mods available closer to the switch over? (just want to make sure I've got the right stuff)

Thanks
Old 25th January 2013, 01:02 PM   #284 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9273

Follow the instructions that Obsi put up on http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/...ck-server.html . If we change versions, we will change those links and tell you.

Sorontar

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2013, 01:02 PM   #285 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 638

Tired

I knew the info would be somewhere, sorry for missing it. Thanks
Old 25th January 2013, 11:59 PM   #286 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 522

Angelic
Default Strong request to have Thaumcraft 3 added to the MOD list

i'd like to see the latest version of this mod make it in as its fun and not game breaking and should have little to no impact on server resources

Nothing says "I'm a lazy-arsed console porting Dev" like 'Press Enter to begin' at the title screen. I have a "Loot" fetish. Pro Sig Courtesy of ONYX

Last edited by Hell Scream; 26th January 2013 at 12:02 AM.
Hell Scream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2013, 12:08 AM   #287 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Okay, on Saturday at sometime (probably after 12 noon AEDST), we will shutdown the FTB world and start developing the new world. You will see the server start and stop while we do that as we test various things, like the transplanting of the FTB city into the Mindcrack world. During that time, only Admin/Mods will have access to the world (though with all the starting and stopping, even they will regularly be chucked off ) . Come 5pm AEDST, the whitelist will be changed to allow everyone else to join at spawn with empty inventories.

DON'T FORGET TO EMPTY YOUR INVENTORIES BEFORE WE DO!

We also have dismantled the city power grid and supply. These will not be replaced.

Sorontar

Last edited by Sorontar; 26th January 2013 at 02:46 PM.
Old 26th January 2013, 12:11 AM   #288 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Thaumcraft 3 is on the Mindcrack mod pack that we are using in the new world. Join us for its release (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/...aedst-sat.html).

Old 26th January 2013, 12:37 AM   #289 (permalink)

Right, the inventories... That I had not thought of. Just hope I have time to get home from work before you start

Quote:
Come 5pm AEDST, the whitelist will be changed to allow everyone else to join at spawn with empty inventories.
Aren't we a wee bit confident in our ability to get a server started on time with no room for errors?
There are precious few times I've seen a server startup on time, but I guess most of that comes from EVE... I'm sure you will succeed in your endeavor on time
GW2 characters:

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
Old 26th January 2013, 12:40 AM   #290 (permalink)

Note though that the use of golems is limited to 10 per player as they WILL impact server resources.
GW2 characters: