Old 17th January 2013, 02:30 AM   #81 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8348 TOG Silver Level Supporter

I think the damage is already done. Those with the most complicated bases are unlikely to be willing to move at all, but they are the ones that would need to do it the most.

In the end I think a complete reset of the FTB server will be the solution, and possibly removing buildcraft from the mods entirely, as long as RedPower exists to replace it.

Here is a thread about peoples experience with buildcraft on servers: http://forums.technicpack.net/thread...y-cause.17691/
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"

Last edited by DaedalusAlpha; 17th January 2013 at 02:33 AM.
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 17th January 2013, 03:05 AM   #82 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 600

Well, perhaps then a discussion about a complete restart? This was after all only a test environment. Some things to note if we were to discuss that: 1.4.2 Beta A, is not going to be updated, so abandoning that modpack might be a good idea. DireWolf20 and Mindcrack both include Redpower, which can replace the pipe portion of buildcraft. Direwolf20 however also has compact solar arrays, which rumor has it also reduces lag, as large amounts of normal solar panels, each generating EU per tick adds up an invisible amount of cpu time. (I currently have 35 solar panels installed, each processing EU up to 20 times per second. Multiply those to get 700 calculations in a second.)

Other possibilites I could suggest:
1. If possible, make an explosion proof nuclear reactor in spawn, and create a city wide power grid that we can tap into, and then have a "buyback" program on power generators.
2. Create a team of City Engineers, that go around and help people optimize their layouts, installing master switches, making sure that there are measures in place to prevent pipe overflow, etc etc.
3. See about adding Redpower 2 to the server, help everyone convert pipes etc, and then disable BC pipes.
Warmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2013, 03:23 AM   #83 (permalink)

Mindcrack does not include Mystcraft and I seem to remember neither did DireWolf20. While Mystcraft has its own risk with creating new worlds and so on, the teleport books were VERY useful, especially since we got the linking table. But I think I could live without it as long as I had teleport capability in some way for items from a remote quarry (via an ender chest for example).

As for the list:
1. Already exists as far as I know, I haven't connected to it though (fun fact; my base runs perfectly fine on only 3 normal solar panels + some lava).
2. That is a good idea
3. That is also a good idea. It's both lighter the server load and less likely to be misused by inexperienced builders.
GW2 characters:

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
Old 17th January 2013, 03:28 AM   #84 (permalink)

Correct, had to look at the list again and Mindcrack does NOT have MystCraft, but Direwolf20 does.
1. I think the power grid still needs expanding.
3. One problem.... redpower adds tons of new ores and features. Not so easy to add into our existing world.
Old 17th January 2013, 03:33 AM   #85 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warmonger View Post
Correct, had to look at the list again and Mindcrack does NOT have MystCraft, but Direwolf20 does.
1. I think the power grid still needs expanding.
3. One problem.... redpower adds tons of new ores and features. Not so easy to add into our existing world.
You could do a reset of the region outside of spawn, that way the new ores would be added at least there

Edit: Another thing we could do is to create a "dormitory" of sorts somewhere in the vicinity of spawn but away from all major constructions. Everyone can then sleep there once to set it to their spawn point in case of death. Also a good place to log out at, and teleport to. A chunk loader could be placed there as well so you don't have to load the chunks either.
GW2 characters:

Last edited by DaedalusAlpha; 17th January 2013 at 03:39 AM.
Old 17th January 2013, 03:35 AM   #86 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 992

Shocked

New instance and let people build away from the spawn. Will handle most of the said issues as well as ones like theft and machine tampering.

If we got a problem, we can solve it, we just lock the thread, whilst we refuse to solve it.
Penthrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2013, 03:43 AM   #87 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaedalusAlpha View Post
You could do a reset of the region outside of spawn, that way the new ores would be added at least there
Good idea there. If we can have time to go recover our outer setups...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penthrox View Post
New instance and let people build away from the spawn. Will handle most of the said issues as well as ones like theft and machine tampering.
Have you noticed anything like theft and tampering? I haven't. Closest I can come up with is when someone walking near your stuff has a creeper explosion. Well, that and when for whatever reason I completely spaced out and dug a small tunnel through my neighbors lot and partially into the lot next to them. But I sealed off at least some of that, lit up what was left, and then made reparations far beyond what mats I might have picked up.
Old 17th January 2013, 04:02 AM   #88 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2946

Grumpy

The main advantage of RedPower is the piping system. It's supposed to be much easier on the server, and the pipes are 'smart', in that items sent to a destination that is unable to take them bounce back to their origin.

The beta pack is being phased out over the next month or two, according to the dev blog. There will be a permanent FTB pack replacing it, but the ETA is still unknown.

Regardless of the outcome, and if we continue with the current install or not, I think this has been a good test. We got all the way up to a matterfab! We've also learned a lot about how the server and clients perform with these mod packs. And, personally, I'd been playing with FTB for a little while before the division started the server, but it's been a lot more fun having everyone else around to chat with while babysitting a quarry or grinding out uu fab. Thanks to the admin team for being willing to experiment with this crazy stuff.
Irimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2013, 07:31 AM   #89 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 992

Shocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warmonger View Post
Good idea there. If we can have time to go recover our outer setups...

Have you noticed anything like theft and tampering? I haven't. Closest I can come up with is when someone walking near your stuff has a creeper explosion. Well, that and when for whatever reason I completely spaced out and dug a small tunnel through my neighbors lot and partially into the lot next to them. But I sealed off at least some of that, lit up what was left, and then made reparations far beyond what mats I might have picked up.
On more than one occasion, yes.

If we got a problem, we can solve it, we just lock the thread, whilst we refuse to solve it.
Penthrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2013, 08:10 AM   #90 (permalink)
Division Captain
Minecraft
Lethal - Post: 5704 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penthrox View Post
On more than one occasion, yes.
if this action has occured, it's best to PM and talk to a mod or admin about it.

A reminder to all about code of conduct and server rulews regarding being a member of tog. we are all adults and are expected to act like one.

Leaving that issue aside, please be advised that the Admins are exploring all possibilities regarding this, including the possibility orf different mods etc to limit or reduce lag. one issue, that redpower will not necessarily solve is that people have been using large legnths of piping, this may have contributed but we are in the early stages of checking, along with this is the amount of machines people have left running despite repeated requests to turn them off, the limited amount of master switches makes life tricky and of course the design of spawn. We will investigate everything and there will be no finger pointing /glares around...

So please remain paitent and remember fronteer is still alive and well, I am sure Fox would like some company on there.
DarkDuck is offline   Reply With Quote